GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed emissions due to APR tune

DD-GTI

I recently failed an emissions test - the test is simply plug into OBD port, check for fault codes and readiness codes - due to the O2 sensors not being ready. No fault codes, no CEL.

I bought my car used in 01/2014 from a local Honda dealer. It had some obvious modifications - APR intake, B&B turbo back, H&R springs. The car hauls some serious *ss, so I always suspected that it had a tune. Now, with the O2s being "not ready" I was very suspicious.

So, I went to the VW dealer and had it checked out. Yes, it has a tune. Since it has an APR intake, I called APR and asked if my vehicle had their tune. Yes, based on the VIN, it does have an APR tune. Unfortunately, because I was not the original purchaser of the tune, APR cannot tell me what tune it has, if it has multiple tunes (EMCS), etc. All that APR could tell me was yes, it's got their tune, and yes their tunes make the O2 sensors "not ready."

Ideally, I'd love to have a "stock" profile and their stage II profile. The power is great, but I need my O2 sensors "ready" so I can pass emissions! I live about 300 miles from the nearest APR dealer. I don't really want to pull out my ECU and mail it off to APR.

Any suggestions?

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
The problem with the O2 sensors is coming from the turboback. The downpipe shouldn't have the sensors on it, and the tune would be hiding the CEL that you'd get from not having the sensors. The tune doesn't do anything for emissions since it's just software, so don't worry about that

Jaber

Modero
There's really only one course of action.

Pay the transfer fee to APR, get their stock file or a none test-pipe file (this enables O2 sensors that are disabled with Stage 2). Then there's the tricky part of using spacers, to avoid getting CEL with aftermarket downpipe.

Simple search should yield more information, there's plenty of reading ahead of you :)

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Can't the dealer restore / update your ECU so it's back to factory? It's a very quick turn around mailing your ECU to APR, though ... when I did mine, they flashed it and returned it to me the same day, and I did overnight shipping both ways... so it came out on day 1, APR received and flashed it on day 2, and it was back in my car on day 3.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Just curious, did you happen to search before making this thread?

Jaber

Modero
Just curious, did you happen to search before making this thread?

nick n

Ready to race!
1. You need to get your ecu in APRs stock mode or oem stock.
2. Run the readiness test via vagcom or via the long drive method.
3. No more than 1 readiness monitor is allowed to fail in order to pass emissions.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
1. You need to get your ecu in APRs stock mode or oem stock.
2. Run the readiness test via vagcom or via the long drive method.
3. No more than 1 readiness monitor is allowed to fail in order to pass emissions.

dont be confused by this, i think hes saying do these steps to test if you have readiness to pass emissions but you're not going to. you're gonna need an 02 sensor spacer, if it already had a spacer it would already be on the non testpipe file and wouldnt have failed readiness

nick n

Ready to race!
As long as nothing is wrong with the car you will not need spacers. What important is the car has needs to be in 100% stock mode so the readiness will set.

Jaber

Modero
As long as nothing is wrong with the car you will not need spacers. What important is the car has needs to be in 100% stock mode so the readiness will set.

Majority of aftermarket downpipes will throw a CEL light due to a higher flowing cat. So more than likely OP will need to play with some spacers, in order to avoid getting a CEL.

nick n

Ready to race!
As long a he has a 200cel cat he will be fine. he just needs to be able to switch from stage 2 (stage 1 would pass) to aprs stock file. since its an _apr tune_ he has the opportunity to just get the dongle and/or run the old school emcs method - if that's programmed on the ecu. i am apr K04 with 3 o2s and have no spacers. set readiness several times already; not talking out of my behind.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I recently failed an emissions test - the test is simply plug into OBD port, check for fault codes and readiness codes - due to the O2 sensors not being ready. No fault codes, no CEL.

I bought my car used in 01/2014 from a local Honda dealer. It had some obvious modifications - APR intake, B&B turbo back, H&R springs. The car hauls some serious *ss, so I always suspected that it had a tune. Now, with the O2s being "not ready" I was very suspicious.

So, I went to the VW dealer and had it checked out. Yes, it has a tune. Since it has an APR intake, I called APR and asked if my vehicle had their tune. Yes, based on the VIN, it does have an APR tune. Unfortunately, because I was not the original purchaser of the tune, APR cannot tell me what tune it has, if it has multiple tunes (EMCS), etc. All that APR could tell me was yes, it's got their tune, and yes their tunes make the O2 sensors "not ready."

Ideally, I'd love to have a "stock" profile and their stage II profile. The power is great, but I need my O2 sensors "ready" so I can pass emissions! I live about 300 miles from the nearest APR dealer. I don't really want to pull out my ECU and mail it off to APR.

Any suggestions?

Why don't you crawl under the car and see if you have a DP.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Why don't you crawl under the car and see if you have a DP.

He said it has a BB turboback.

Like everyone else has said, you need to pay the transfer fee to APR, get a stock or non-test pipe file, and probably install some O2 spacers on your downpipe.

Once you're on the stock or non-test pipe file without any CEL's popping up, then you should be good to pass emissions.

Jaber

Modero
As long a he has a 200cel cat he will be fine. he just needs to be able to switch from stage 2 (stage 1 would pass) to aprs stock file. since its an _apr tune_ he has the opportunity to just get the dongle and/or run the old school emcs method - if that's programmed on the ecu. i am apr K04 with 3 o2s and have no spacers. set readiness several times already; not talking out of my behind.

You're ignoring the fact that there's a possibility he will need to play with spacers, in order to avoid CEL.

Just because you passed with no spacers, does not mean he will. Not to mention the fact that if he's CBFA, it's a total pain in the ass.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

I don't think this is right, I have a 200 cell cat that will throw a code if I don't have the 02 spacer. I know this is the same with other people too.