GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed emissions due to APR tune

nick n

Ready to race!
Not ignoring at all jaber, you just don't understand. not trying to bicker with you either; just helping out the OP. Spacers are a band aid for catless cars and for cars that can't pass in true stock mode. It's a hell of a lots easier to set readiness in stock mode. OP has to do his part and pay the transfer cost like Tim said the start from there.

All the OP needs to have is a cat, emcs, a stock non-test pipe file, and a tuned file to be on his ecu. As soon as readiness sets in stock mode. He has to switch back to tuned. He will pass with 7 out of 8 monitors being ready.

Jaber

Modero
Not ignoring at all jaber, you just don't understand. not trying to bicker with you either; just helping out the OP. Spacers are a band aid for catless cars and for cars that can't pass in true stock mode. It's a hell of a lots easier to set readiness in stock mode. OP has to do his part and pay the transfer cost like Tim said the start from there.

All the OP needs to have is a cat, emcs, a stock non-test pipe file, and a tuned file to be on his ecu. As soon as readiness sets in stock mode. He has to switch back to tuned. He will pass with 7 out of 8 monitors being ready.

:laugh:

Ok. I've said enough in this thread. OP has the freedom to choose what information he wishes to follow.

nick n

Ready to race!
I don't think this is right, I have a 200 cell cat that will throw a code if I don't have the 02 spacer. I know this is the same with other people too.

yes as it should; the key is to run the readiness test in stock mode, then switch back to the tuned file before the CEL. takes about 2-3 key starts or <50 miles before the CEL pops on. the last readiness check during the countdown cycle is cat. everything else will pass by then.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Everyone is forgetting. OP just move to a state where they dont require testing. Come to Florida and we dont give a F. Catless everything.

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Have you tried messing with the cruise control stalk and see how many profiles it has? http://www.goapr.com/support/dpp_emcs_instructions.pdf

The dealer had to smog before selling it, I'd go back to that dealer and either have them smog it since they sold it or escalate to BAR. Its obvious you have a stage 2 tune since you failed readiness.

Did they have you sign paperwork that you were purchasing a vehicle with a modified emissions system? In California you have to sign paperwork trading in a car stating there have been no known modifications to the emissions system.

Dealers do crazy crap so it doesn't surprise me, but they shouldn't have an issue 'making it' pass smog if you want to keep the tune.

DD-GTI

I didn't expect to get such a response. Thank you, everyone.
I've snooped around the forums, only made a couple posts, and no, I didn't search before posting. Thanks for asking, though. I know it's a general rule of thumb, and I typically follow it. Sorry. I'll do better next time.
When I talked to APR, they didn't even mention the fact that I could transfer ?ownership? of the tune. I was more or less told to find the nearest APR dealer and get a re-flash with a stock file and whatever other file I want. He highly, highly suggested I do NOT start playing around with the stalk to see if there are other files - who knows if I'd select a 100 octane file or what. (For that matter, I'm only assuming I'm not currently running on a 100 octane file...)
So, I'll try calling APR again and see what they can do. If there's a transfer fee, and I've already got a stock file in there, I've saved myself a lot of trouble and money. I wonder why I wasn't told I could do this the first time I called them.
Next up, I'll do some reading about spacers for the O2 sensors. Are people just using washers? I wonder if the car already has some O2 spacers on it. I guess I'll do some reading, search for some pics or a how-to.
Lastly, I thought about calling the dealer I bought it from. They might pay to have it returned to stock tune, but that's not what I really want. I'm willing to put in some time and effort to keep the power AND pass emissions.

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
I didn't expect to get such a response. Thank you, everyone.
I've snooped around the forums, only made a couple posts, and no, I didn't search before posting. Thanks for asking, though. I know it's a general rule of thumb, and I typically follow it. Sorry. I'll do better next time.
When I talked to APR, they didn't even mention the fact that I could transfer ?ownership? of the tune. I was more or less told to find the nearest APR dealer and get a re-flash with a stock file and whatever other file I want. He highly, highly suggested I do NOT start playing around with the stalk to see if there are other files - who knows if I'd select a 100 octane file or what. (For that matter, I'm only assuming I'm not currently running on a 100 octane file...)
So, I'll try calling APR again and see what they can do. If there's a transfer fee, and I've already got a stock file in there, I've saved myself a lot of trouble and money. I wonder why I wasn't told I could do this the first time I called them.
Next up, I'll do some reading about spacers for the O2 sensors. Are people just using washers? I wonder if the car already has some O2 spacers on it. I guess I'll do some reading, search for some pics or a how-to.
Lastly, I thought about calling the dealer I bought it from. They might pay to have it returned to stock tune, but that's not what I really want. I'm willing to put in some time and effort to keep the power AND pass emissions.
I have to get tested very shortly here. According to torque pro I wasn't going to pass with my apr stage 2 ccta, so I bought an angled spacer for 17 shipped on Amazon. Took 10 minutes to put on, including doing the jack stands. Codes showed all ready status after about 50 miles or so (in "stock" non-testpipe file). I have been driving in stock for a total of 200 miles or so and still no cel or non readiness codes thrown. I SHOULD be good to go. Search for B00J9PQDQM on Amazon, that is what I bought...

nick n

Ready to race!
Yep you will be gtg. U can even switch back to your tuned file before the emissions test because the readiness is now set.

DD-GTI

Follow up: I went down to SLC for a warranty transfer, found out I was running a 93 octane tune. There's no 93 octane out here, so I had a stock file and a 91 octane file installed. Drove home on the 91 file - noticed no power or mpg difference. Didn't pass - catalyst not ready. Switched to stock file, CEL and a catalyst code. Wound up buying the APR dongle, found out my 91 file is a "test pipe" file, put in that Vibrant spacer, cleared code with APR app, no more codes, and FINALLY passes emissions.
Back to the 91 octane file and more power!
Thanks for your help, everyone.

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, what a hassle, but the end results is good and you're set for the future. :thumbsup:

Sonny

Shwizzle

Ready to race!
So to sum it up if just trying to pass emissions u will need the stock file and switch to stock before going to emissions. If u don't race around on your way over u should be ok on no cel temporarily long enough to pass emissions since the O2 monitor will pass. After passing u can switch back to stage 2 and have no cel.