GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST vs. Stage 1 APR We shall soon find out

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Youre saying a k03 or IHI for the mk6 lags until 3500rpm?

I was able to achieve 26psi @ 2600rpm on my mk5, I dont really see the lag in that.

This gets into nomenclature again, and why I refuse to use the term "lag" because it is ambiguous. There are two distinct effects, and I choose "spool delay" measured in seconds (or fractions thereof) and "boost threshold" measured in RPM.

I know where the boost threshold is for the IHI, and I've monitored boost via the Torque app on Android. I can get full boost as low as 2000 RPM on the stock tune in a high gear going up a hill. But it does NOT come on quickly, meaning the time it takes (at constant RPM) from onset of WOT to full boost is definitely noticeable. THAT is what I'd like to improve. My point with 3500 RPM is that that's where spool delay is fast enough to not really be noticeable (really above 3000 RPM).

Do you get what I'm saying? Am I the only one annoyed by the RPM-dependent spool delay?

Edit: yeah also sorry for threadjack. I'll make a separate thread someday on this topic.

Last edited:

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
This gets into nomenclature again, and why I refuse to use the term "lag" because it is ambiguous. There are two distinct effects, and I choose "spool delay" measured in seconds (or fractions thereof) and "boost threshold" measured in RPM.

I know where the boost threshold is for the IHI, and I've monitored boost via the Torque app on Android. I can get full boost as low as 2000 RPM on the stock tune in a high gear going up a hill. But it does NOT come on quickly, meaning the time it takes (at constant RPM) from onset of WOT to full boost is definitely noticeable. THAT is what I'd like to improve. My point with 3500 RPM is that that's where spool delay is fast enough to not really be noticeable (really above 3000 RPM).

Do you get what I'm saying? Am I the only one annoyed by the RPM-dependent spool delay?

I get what you are saying. And thats understandable, I guess I just never really noticed it in my mk5. So i imagine its a relative feeling based on someones idea of spool-delay.

I will say, even though noone cares, that on my mini i have very little delay. Which I am sure comes from 1. having a small k03 and 2. having a twin-scroll housing. But i am currently getting ready to sell it and possibly buy another gti, this time a mk6.

Dybz

Banned
I get what you are saying. And thats understandable, I guess I just never really noticed it in my mk5. So i imagine its a relative feeling based on someones idea of spool-delay.

I will say, even though noone cares, that on my mini i have very little delay. Which I am sure comes from 1. having a small k03 and 2. having a twin-scroll housing. But i am currently getting ready to sell it and possibly buy another gti, this time a mk6.

porting turbo and putting up videos of the mk6 beating on stage 3 cars again? under a new name?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

The Cooper is a 1.6, right? I'd imagine twin-scroll definitely helps, if nothing it can't hurt.

Try out the Focus ST, too. I really hope that I won't regret my decision to get the GTI rather than wait for the ST, but preliminary reports say that they're at least equal, if not the GTI being a bit better.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
porting turbo and putting up videos of the mk6 beating on stage 3 cars again? under a new name?

All day everyday. like a boss.

meh.. that stage 3 was slow 311whp is pretty weak for a stage 3 which is what he dyno'd and admitted to.

But i dont need to argue that anymore. wins a win. :thumbsup:

The Cooper is a 1.6, right? I'd imagine twin-scroll definitely helps, if nothing it can't hurt.

Try out the Focus ST, too. I really hope that I won't regret my decision to get the GTI rather than wait for the ST, but preliminary reports say that they're at least equal, if not the GTI being a bit better.

Yeah its a 1.6T right now, talks are the new F30 2.0T engine might end up in the next generation of minis.

I will most likely stick to the GTi, loved the mk5 and i will probably never buy something not european again. Plus the mk6 has grown on me.

Unless I could get the Ford RS with the volvo 2.5T in it.

Dybz

Banned
All day everyday. like a boss.

meh.. that stage 3 was slow 311whp is pretty weak for a stage 3 which is what he dyno'd and admitted to.

But i dont need to argue that anymore. wins a win. :thumbsup:

Yeah its a 1.6T right now, talks are the new F30 2.0T engine might end up in the next generation of minis.

I will most likely stick to the GTi, loved the mk5 and i will probably never buy something not european again. Plus the mk6 has grown on me.

Unless I could get the Ford RS with the volvo 2.5T in it.

big bump in power if minis get the 2.0T

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
big bump in power if minis get the 2.0T

Yes, but i have heard it will only go into the JCW model of the Cooper S, which is basically like the STi of the Coopers.

But at a tag of around 36-42k, not worth it to me. Could get a brand new 135I for around that.

If it came out in the S model and the JCW, i would be all for that.

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
Mind me asking what your brother is paying for his ST? I priced it out online with leather and everything it was coming out to close to 30k if not over. Granted, I got my GTI as a used '10 with the autobahn package; pretty much everything except for the dyn audio so I know a fully loaded '12 would be more like comparing apples to apples...still I'm wondering if a fully loaded one would run close if not over 30k.

I want to say whatever he priced out was still under 30k. I'm not sure though. I know he was trying to stay around a certain monthly payment and over 30 would have been pushing it well over his limit. I could be wrong though, he may just be putting more down. The next time I talk to him I'll ask and update you on it. I was trying to convince him to go GTI so he could have a GREAT car now instead of a car yet to prove itself and having to wait. He wanted something different and enjoyed the aggressiveness and the fact it comes in blue played a factor. I used to own a SVT Focus so I'm actually excited to see the new ST, I have high hopes for it.

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
So,
My brother is still waiting for his. Hopefully we'll find out this week when they might get the HID headlights in that are holding up his order. The good news though is that they did get a black one in for the dealer to show. They didn't want us going too far to keep the mileage down but they let us test drive it. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled up to see the ST sitting at the front of the dealership ready to go. The first thing I noticed was the added vertical V they added in line with the rear lip to break up the humongous size of the front grill. The 2nd thing that I was pleasantly surprised with was the seats. OMG I could forget about the whole interior of the GTI just because of those seats. They are snug but hold you in nicely and they no longer have the dial to adjust the tilt back.

As far as the test drive goes, I absolutely loved the growl the car was giving as we gave it more gas. They tuned the sound so well that I could only wish my car sounded that good. Performance, well, if I hadn't kept my S1 tune on I might have had a better comparison. I didn't find it to be as energetic as my GTI with the tune and it seemed to almost fall flat as we climbed above 4 or 4500 rpm. It was still accelerating but lacked a little of the pleasure I've been used to the last year. Handling and brakes were superb. I did later find out after 2500 miles the pcm does open a little of the tune to provide with either 20hp more or 20% more. That being said, I think a stock for stock race and even purchase i would probably go for the ST. I can't say for sure, but If I hadn't put in some time and effort into my GTI I may have considered trading it in for the new ST.

Last edited:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
The front end doesnt look as terrible in black. My friend picks his up in 3-4 weeks. I'm going k04 this weekend so i'll do a run on stock tune, then one on k04 tune and see how it does.

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
I wouldn't run him until he's got the 2500 miles on the car though. It won't be a completely fair run until their pcm opens up the rest of the tune. I agree, the front end doesn't look as bad as I thought. When I saw it at the NAIAS they didn't have the piece on either side to break up the front grill a bit.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't run him until he's got the 2500 miles on the car though. It won't be a completely fair run until their pcm opens up the rest of the tune. I agree, the front end doesn't look as bad as I thought. When I saw it at the NAIAS they didn't have the piece on either side to break up the front grill a bit.

True, we can do the first run for fun. Post 2500 mile run will be the shit talking run.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
focus st will have 250 horsepower that is coming to america, I'm not so sure if the stage 1 could beat that...thats just my guess