GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mount intercooler versus upgraded stock location intercooler questions

Chris@DoubleApex

Ready to race!
If you alter or change the crash bar the sky is the limit....

True (and nice setup) but if you're getting out the Sawzal why not go top mount? :D

http://www.doubleapex.co/products/golf-r-top-mount-intercooler

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
BSH's sister company Phoenix Rising used to make the FMIC kit I have, Im not sure how many kits they made but it wasnt many before they went under and BSH turned to shit.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Hahahaha there's a guy around So Cal that has a huge hood scoop on his GTi but uh i guess to cool his coil packs. Also has a Stage 3+ badge but is K03+

Found it

it might look dumb but that turbo gets real hot and getting that hot air out would help allot.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
^^^
Agreed. Even Subaru owners remove that crap and opt for a front mount instead. Don't forget the FWD SR20 Primera GTR's. They utilized top mount IC to cut cost, nothing more, nothing less.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
IEs stock location looks nice but for 900.00 or so I can do what nvturbo did with the ETS fmic and I've owned 2 ets ICs from my evo days and ets makes top notch stuff.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Meh not really. The scoop is huge but there are only 3 1 1/2 - 2" holes in the hood. which means air going in gets trapped and builds up turbulence. It's also before the turbo more above the intake manifold and coil packs.

Put vents not a scoop if you're gonna try to get the hot air out.
i wonder how subaru's get rid of all that air being crammed into the engine bay from the scoop.
Do I need to point out that picture is a joke? :iono:
:bellyroll:

TheCastle

Ready to race!
This is what concerns me about the Neuspeed. If it was so great, they would be advertising their numbers. Since they don't publish any data of their own, it makes me cast doubt on the effectiveness of their product. I've been burned too many times by the "trust us, you will like it" type of answers that I received when inquiring about that particular intercooler.

I want to see what the IATs are on a day with a particular ambient temperature and relative humidity (edit: preferably summer temps with high humidity). I'd also like to see it compared to the stock intercooler under similar conditions.

Sigh the neuspeed has been measured and didn't perform so well especially in the lag department. All of this was covered in the master intercooler thread,

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873362&postcount=90

Basically, the fmic have more lag and are easier to install. The stock location front mount has lower lag, more surface area and more cooling air available and are harder to install.

Updated link http://www.neuspeed.com/media/attachments/European Car April 2009.pdf

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
In general, deep intercoolers are not very efficient.

I'm gonna have to DISAGREE. Besides the ETS I am currently using, I have used one from PWR (on another turbo setup). If the intercooler has an efficient flowing core, it will cool better than others that aren't as efficient.