GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full Detail Guide for the Casual Detailer

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
One thing I will say is do not drive your car around the block if you are planning on doing a detail. Here's why, by driving the car you are stirring up road dust which will stick to your car. The dust is very miniscule and won't be seen but it's there and will scratch your paint with any given friction. Wash your car, sheet it with water, then go in your garage and dry the car off and begin your detail.

You can drive your car around the block if you are just doing a car wash, however, dust will will stick the car and the undried water on the car will become mud.

Outkasted24

Hoping to Own a GTI Soon
Thanks for the great write up.

Have you ever tried Lucas Oil Slick Mist?

I was talking to my Father on Thanksgiving Day and one of our conversations was about his new car.
My Pops recently bought a 2013 Hyundai Azera and his neighbor came over with a bottle of this stuff at the cars first driveway wash.
My Dad was telling me that he applied a coat during a basic wash and was amazed at the depth this stuff gave the clear coat.
Later that week he had to take the car back to the dealer because of a broken plastic piece inside the car.
His salesman came out to greet my Pops and asked what he used as a detailer on the car, It didn't look like that when the car was bought.

three weeks later My dad got a Thank You card in the mail from the Salesman explaining how he had gone out and bought this Lucas stuff for his own personal car.
Later in the week the Detail Manager asked what he was applying to his car to get the paint to pop in the sun like that.

Now according to the Salesman that my Dad worked with, The Detail Department is using a coat of the Lucas stuff on all of their New cars at PDI.

Next weekend I'm going to go get a bottle and apply some at wash.
I'll take Pics before and after and see if all the hype is true.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Hm.. the lucas oil stuff is just a spray wax. Good for in between details. I just bought some 1Z Spray Wax that I'm going to use after it stops raining and I can wash the car again.

I just detailed my car on Sunday. Pulled it out of the garage into rain! I had no choice, had to drive home (an hour away).

t0eknee

Passed Driver's Ed
I hadn't even gotten through the post as I ran out to O'Reilly's to get some 'Invisible Glass'. Been wanting to find something that would leave my windows spotless. The inside of my windscreen was very very grimey. Thanks for the post!

Calvintran

Ready to race!
so after you guys clean your car... you take ur car for a spin..come back.. park it in the garage... look at the beauty of your clean car and you find.. dirt on the side from the wheel rolling and your rear is all dirty.. What do you guys use to clean it? I would use the dry MF towel but then.. that clean dry MF towel will turn all black.. I used my drying towel and its starting to turn black.. and its been raining here so thats why I use the dryer towel

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
so after you guys clean your car... you take ur car for a spin..come back.. park it in the garage... look at the beauty of your clean car and you find.. dirt on the side from the wheel rolling and your rear is all dirty.. What do you guys use to clean it? I would use the dry MF towel but then.. that clean dry MF towel will turn all black.. I used my drying towel and its starting to turn black.. and its been raining here so thats why I use the dryer towel

You need to use a quick detailer of some sort. I would recommend ordering something that detailed image or detailing bliss. Optimum no rinse is great because you can use it to wash your car and as a quick detailer in a spray bottle. Also, only use a clean mf towel. If it's dirty you'll scratch the paint with the dirt.

Tapped with my thumbs

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
You need to use a quick detailer of some sort. I would recommend ordering something that detailed image or detailing bliss. Optimum no rinse is great because you can use it to wash your car and as a quick detailer in a spray bottle. Also, only use a clean mf towel. If it's dirty you'll scratch the paint with the dirt.

Tapped with my thumbs

ONR is not that great as a QD. Yeah you can use it as a QD, but it doesn't have the gloss or slickness of an actual QD. I like Adam's myself. Dodo Juice Red Tropical Mist I've heard is great stuff but I have not tried it yet.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
ONR is not that great as a QD. Yeah you can use it as a QD, but it doesn't have the gloss or slickness of an actual QD. I like Adam's myself. Dodo Juice Red Tropical Mist I've heard is great stuff but I have not tried it yet.

He asked what should you use to remove the road dust after a drive. Onr is a dirt lubricant. It will loosen it and allow you to safely wipe.

Personally, I use poorboys spray and wipe.

Tapped with my thumbs

Buc Wheat

:w00t:
Thanks to all you for the kind comments. It's fun for me to post interesting things I pick up along the years and will continue to post in the detail section. Thank you again!

@tomato thanks! Car fanatics we are! :)

Very nice write up! Thank you and thanks to those that have added more valuable insights and info!

:clap:

AdamC

Ready to race!
Another bump for this great guide. Following it again today :thumbsup:

jedred1

jedred1
I'll try it. Thanks

eightyseven

Ready to race!
Wonderful thread, very informative. I just picked up my GTI last week, so it's time for a nice wash and wax!

white cars are a pain to clean perfectly.

cheers for your write-up. Ima take a nap now cos I am not washing my car til january.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Any suggestions for a cheap over the counter product to dress the engine bay plastics and rubber with? 303 is on the expensive side. I'm talking cheapy Meguiars or similar products.