GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going homeless/car squatting for a couple months. Concerns/advice?

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
peeps are missing the point, and apparently so are you OP

take this with a grain of salt, but if it's for 2 months only, then go ahead and do what needs to be done to get your degree and get past this hurdle. P.S. life won't get easier and having a degree can be viewed as necessary as having a car nowadays in terms of "getting by" so cutting costs like that is kinda suckish if it's only for 2 months. I understand if it'd had been for a year or so but for 2 months just get it out of the way.

My 2 cents
for what they're worth

tl;dr don't live in your damn car, take a hit and move on.

Like nuggstein said, you don't needa GTI or a VW to drive from point A to point B, either. So making a choice to keep a more premium car but live a below average way of life life (in terms of you have to do shit you don't want/like for a degree) then take the high road and just do what you have to do.

My car is financed so I can't just get rid of it. As for why I financed? My car old car died. I had enough for a down payment and got a good deal on the MK5. Plenty of people finance a car so I don't think it was a mistake at all. I can definitely make the payment every month. It's not a question of having money, it's a question of spending it smartly.

I'm a bit confused by what you said, "I understand if it'd had been for a year or so but for 2 months just get it out of the way.

My 2 cents
for what they're worth

tl;dr don't live in your damn car, take a hit and move on. "

Are you saying not to do it for two months or that it's not that bad because it's two months? Either way, I look at it like this:
I might just relocate to Southern California since I plan on going to grad school next year anyway. If I pay rent to have a place to sleep, buy hotels and do this all the "right way" (as you guys put it), then in a month or so if I need to relocate, I won't have the funds to because I'll have spent a month living within your perfect ideological world.

I don't see living in my car as being some terrible prospect. To be honest, the idea of it is kind of happy to me. It's not going to bother me depression wise and one time I had to do it out of necessity (financial aid department messed up my bank information and didn't want to give me an emergency loan so I had to sleep in my car for two weeks. My dad is homeless and my mom is disabled. some people just don't have lifelines like you guys do, try to understand that) my sophomore year. What was I supposed to do in that situation? drop out of school because living in my car was such a terrible stupid thing to do?

Anyway since none of you are offering me advice and instead focusing on chastising me, I'll just try to figure out how to do it on my own. I'm working on a list of supplies and I'll just leave this thread as is. I wasn't aware that I was a member of "tell someone how to live their life" forum. I thought I was on golfmk6 forum.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I mentioned about staying at friend/relative's place but I guess you don't have any. I can see why.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
sleeping in a hatchback is dumb and never comfortable. it would work in a wagon,suv or van tho. or find someone that wants a room mate to split the rent.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
couch surf

THIS!

In 2007, after the death of my first wife, I can't tell you how many times I crashed on couches at the homes of my friends and family. The crazy thing is, I own a house, but I visited friends and family all over the country. I just couldn't take being alone in an empty house on the weekends, so every weekend was a road trip!

razr390

Go Kart Champion
THIS!

In 2007, after the death of my first wife, I can't tell you how many times I crashed on couches at the homes of my friends and family. The crazy thing is, I own a house, but I visited friends and family all over the country. I just couldn't take being alone in an empty house on the weekends, so every weekend was a road trip!

Sorry for your loss

zrickety

The Fixer
If it's just temporary, I get your motivation. You still have options though, couchsurfing.org is not a bad idea. Sleeping in the car definitely sucks, I've done it once or twice. $30 for a tent will sound cheap! I'd consider selling the car and getting a van. The college has facilities like gym and showers right?

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
I didn't read all the comments, but why not share a place with a couple people? Rent would be super cheap that way. Possibly you can rent a room in somebody's house for just a couple hundred a month as well.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I don't get it.

Living in your car is gonna turn it into a funkbucket. If you love your car so much, why are you even considering using it as a mobile home and overnight fart capsule?

Camping would be great.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Extended stays have decent rates, some shitty motel 6s can be had pretty cheap as well. For at least a couple of nights a week at least.

Damn we got our first official bum up in here.