GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK7 Mechanical Discussion

Dybz

Banned

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
the more i think about it the more it seems that the golf will become more of a viable option to the budget minded enthusiast. not that a new loaded golf is 'cheap', but if you are generally using it as a daily driver, like it or not enthusiasts (me being one of them) you are rarely touching the potential of your stage 1, 2, k04 etc. GTIs. you just aren't. ask me how much on a daily basis I really push the boundaries of my car's handling, or the powermill, and i'm 'only' stage 1. on the way to work? on the way back? in traffic? even a stock GTI is more often than not, stifled by real world driving conditions.

enter the new Golf. Sharing the Audi platform, multi-link suspension and a 1.8TSI that is basically better in every way to the current 5 cyl, which will be able to be easily tuned to produce output that approaches that of a stock mk7 GTI, with superior mileage.. why not get the Golf? i probably wouldn't and many who are balls deep in all their power upgrades might not, but then you got guys like GunKata talking about how they might get a Prius. so you never know. moral of the story is that practicality rears its ugly head when you least expect it and if someone can get a well optioned TSI golf for under $20k vs. a well optioned GTI for closer to $30k, whats stopping them? why get the GTI? better wheels? you can buy better wheels for the golf? Slightly better suspension? how often will you notice? better mileage, no. the Golf will get better mileage.. More power. yes, there is that.

Very well worded. As said before, if options were similar and I was in the market, I'd probably go with the golf.
The only reason I got my car tuned was because the bastard was sluggish as hell. Sometimes it still derps (see 'How to make your DSG work"), but after that, I don't really push the car much past where it was before power wise.
My biggest pet peeve is poor handling. Being that aftermarket suspensions are fairly interchangeable between the golf and GTI, it would be a piece of cake to get the performance I want in the turns, but in a cheaper car.
Is this 1.8 being used in fact the same or similar 1.8 used in MKIV GTIs and Jetts? If so, it's well proven to be reliable.

McQueen77

Banned
Very well worded. As said before, if options were similar and I was in the market, I'd probably go with the golf.
The only reason I got my car tuned was because the bastard was sluggish as hell. Sometimes it still derps (see 'How to make your DSG work"), but after that, I don't really push the car much past where it was before power wise.
My biggest pet peeve is poor handling. Being that aftermarket suspensions are fairly interchangeable between the golf and GTI, it would be a piece of cake to get the performance I want in the turns, but in a cheaper car.
Is this 1.8 being used in fact the same or similar 1.8 used in MKIV GTIs and Jetts? If so, it's well proven to be reliable.

yeah, i mean, really why not? you could easily go stage 2 w/downpipe on the 1.8t, have it on a lighter platform with a good interior, etc. and probably do it all for less than the cost of a base GTI.