GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI and baby

MerlinsBeard

I'd like to start with an apology if I'm posting something that I can easily find in previous postings. I've done some research on my own but I think asking actual GTI owners will be a better way to go. I have a very important decision to make and I need your help.

My husband and I are expecting a baby boy this December. We are very pumped. I do not own a car right now and with increased visits to my doctors and baby shopping and impending busier life, I feel the need to purchase my own car. I used to own a TDI in Asia before I moved to the States and I cannot think of owning a different car other than Golf. I cannot let go of that excitement I felt in my hands every time I was driving my Golf and I want my husband to feel it as well.

Now, I am planning to buy GTI 4dr that I could not own back in Asia, due to extremely high gas prices ($7.5/Gallon). Before I make a purchase, I'd like to check a few things.

1. I have a Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 carseat, which measures
73.7 cm x 58.42 cm x 53.34 cm (29" x 23" x 21")
Will this fit in the backseat?
My husband is 6" and I'm 5"9'.

2. I'm also considering to buy
either a Stokke Crusi stroller, which measures
98 cm x 62 cm x 30 cm (38.6" x 24.4" x 11.8")

or a Stokke Xplory stroller, which measures
92.71 cm x 57.9 cm x 85.34 cm (36.5 x 22.8 x 33.6")
Will either of these fit the trunk?

3. Does a GTI 4dr come in leather seats? If not, how can I make it happen?

4. People talk about the release of MK7 next year in the States. I have actually been excited about and waiting for it, but at the same time I'm a little concerned about the timeline. Has anybody heard a reliable rumor as to when the MK7 will roll out in US market?

Thank you ahead for your time.
Enjoy your drive!

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Since I don't have any children, I can only answer #3. Yes, the GTI does have a leather seat option. You have to get the Autobahn (top tier) package or the Driver's Edition in order to get the leather seats. Or I'm sure if you paid enough money you can get a dealership to install them for you.

Last edited:

bialymike

Ready to race!
First off, congratulations!

I have a 2010 gti so this is the o ly reason I'm chiming in since I do t have children. Yes this is a great car, quick, looks awesome, great interior, spacious back seat (if anyone is in the backseat of my car I always ask them if they have enough room and they always say yes even though I feel lile the front seats are too far back for them), great mpg for a car of its type.

Now, having friends that have children my only concern for someone in your predicament would be cargo space. Sure, the gti is great for loading a lot of things like when I bought my 46" tv, but I had to fold the rear seats down. As for my friends; they bought a passat (1 generation older than the one out right now) when they had their 1st child. Now they're looking for something bigger b/c they complain about trunk space. This might become an issue for you as the trunk space is smaller in a gti than a passat. And I imagine you wouldn't want to be folding the rear seats down while you have a child in the back.

Have you considered the current generation jetta sport wagon? I feel that would more than suite your needs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Wow, your husband is only six inches tall? The car should be plenty spacious ;)

The back seat of the GTI is pretty spacious. I think you could fit a child seat of any kind in there no problem, but I'm not an expert, I'm a single guy. I have been hanging with my sister's baby and his seat would fit in my car. Make sure to get the four door like you're planning on for way easier access :thumbsup:

The trunk is a bit small. I'm sure you could take the stroller to your local dealer and try it out. If it fits in the MKVI it will probably fit in the VII, the size is quite similar if not identical.

Driver's edition/Autobahn have leather, everything else has the cool plaid :woot:

I think the MKVIIs will be on sale here in April. My VW saleswoman told me this and I've read it online as well but no one knows for sure.

Enjoy the new car. What color and transmission are you going to get? I wish mine was red.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tldr, but plenty of space in the 4dr for kids and other shit.

jsh1120

Ready to race!
As others have noted, leather seating is not a problem in either the Autobahn or the Driver's Edition. You won't face a problem with the infant seat. In fact, the backseat room in the GTI surpasses that of its competition. As far as the stroller is concerned, I think you'll find that the storage behind the rear seat will accommodate it, as well. But if not, you do have the option of lowering one side of the second row seats. If you were trying to accommodate twins, I think you'd have a problem, but otherwise you should be fine. (At least for a while.)

Having said all that, I'd second a recommendation in one of the earlier posts to look carefully at the Jetta TDI wagon. It's a great car for about the same price as the upper trim level of the GTI. Leather seating comes standard and the fuel economy is fantastic (always a consideration for a family with a newborn.) You won't have the same performance as the GTI but for baby hauling you'll find it more than adequate. And it's great fun to drive.

As far as waiting for the MK7 GTI, I strongly suspect you won't be able to purchase one until at least the third quarter of 2014 and perhaps as late as the 4th quarter. Remember that whenever it becomes available there is likely to be heavy initial demand and that means getting in line and/or paying the penalty of a "market adjustment" sticker over MSRP. Do you really want to risk waiting 9 to 12 months after your child is born for a car that offers no more utility for your intended use than the MK6?

I'm sure the GTI will meet your needs especially in comparison to other 5dr hatchbacks. (And yes, you DO need the extra doors.) But frankly, it sounds like the Jetta TDI wagon is ideal for your needs. Drive one and I think you'll see what I mean.

McQueen77

Banned
4 door gti is fine for a baby. Anyone who says thats not enough room is insane. Both my parents had 2 doors until i was like 10 and then my mom got a 4 door accord. That was back when people werent so insanely large, lame and lazy. Youll be just fine. We have a 6 month old and she rides in my wifes tiguan which has about the same cargo space as a gti. No problems. Plenty of space for baby, car seat and all our luggage incl. stroller on long trips. I have a 2 door gti that shell ride in when shes forward facing, if i still have it and dont have a mk7 by then. Congrats btw!

misaka

Ready to race!
My brother has a baby with a 4 door GTI, it does the job fine. However you just can't fit as much stuff in the back if you get a giant stroller. ie small stroller + lots of baby stuff or large stroller and minimal baby stuff. Car seat fits fine.

He does in retrospect feel that he would have been better off in the TDI wagon. Loves his GTI, but feels the extra space would make it a longer term vehicle, especially because he and his wife are considering a second child. Which ever choice floats your boat.

omarcominyo

You'll be fine.

I have two kids in car seats, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'3". We all fit fine in my GTI 4dr. Things only get tight when we're talking about something like a trip to the mall where you'll be hauling the whole family and a stroller PLUS lots of bags/packages.

I have the baby rear facing on the passenger side. This way, the front seat can be moved pretty far forward and my wife can still sit comfortably (I can ride up there too when she's driving and it's not uncomfortable). The 4 year old sits behind me, but he is in a convertible/booster seat now, so my driver's seat is probably only 1-2 notches forward of where I might have it if he weren't there. Obviously, I can move the seat back whenever he's not there, but I don't feel like I need to bother - I'm plenty comfortable.

I'll note too that even with two car seats in the back I can still open the center trunk pass-through. I just brought home 6 6 foot 2x4s in my GTI the other day.

Chrisface

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 7 year old triplets and I have no problems getting them in the back with their booster seats. I did specifically look for the narrowest I could find but... I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8" and the whole family fits. The trunk is about 37 inches at its narrowest point and about 18 inches tall with the hatch cover (should be plenty deep enough). With a diaper bag and stroller it will probably be pretty full. We used to carry a triplet umbrella stroller (smallest form factor) just because we had soooo much crap.