GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

kern417

Go Kart Champion
but nobody has actually had one fail. leak, yes. but a failing pump would lead to motor overheating and possibly being damaged. i would definitely do it as preventative maintenance, just like any other car. just not sure if this is considered a "lifetime" part or not.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say it is a 'lifetime' part. The belt is the only thing you should normally worry about. I would love to save some money and just get the thermostat but I don't have much faith in these plastic parts when they age.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
My coolant level is even lower now...

GTI Geo

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, at 42723 miles, my water pump sprung a leak, all over the floor of my garage. I am not sure how you can call that anything but a failure. The check fluid level light came on my commute home. It started flashing, but the temp gage stayed at 190 so I drove it home. I let it cool down and then went to see what I could see. A puddle growing around my left front tire told me that it was going to the dealer. I had AAA tow it to the dealer where the offending pump was replaced under warranty. On the up side I had a nice Passat Service Loaner until I got my GTI back.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Well, at 42723 miles, my water pump sprung a leak, all over the floor of my garage. I am not sure how you can call that anything but a failure. The check fluid level light came on my commute home. It started flashing, but the temp gage stayed at 190 so I drove it home. I let it cool down and then went to see what I could see. A puddle growing around my left front tire told me that it was going to the dealer. I had AAA tow it to the dealer where the offending pump was replaced under warranty. On the up side I had a nice Passat Service Loaner until I got my GTI back.

I bet the STEALERSHIP won't remove the intake manifold to get to the water pump. Don't expect them to clean around that area either.

zrickety

The Fixer
My thermostat went at 104k. The old pump feels good but I swapped the whole thing anyway.

Mk6Daddy

Ready to race!
It's been a few months now and can still smell coolant after driving. Noticed level has gone down in tank but no visible signs of leaking.

AzD

Noticed coolant smell and levels dropping. Had mine replaced 12k miles ago with the "BB" revision. Took it in today and they replaced it with another "BB"

zrickety

The Fixer

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
I bet the STEALERSHIP won't remove the intake manifold to get to the water pump. Don't expect them to clean around that area either.

Yeah my dealership didn't remove the intake manifold to do my water pump. I thought I was going to get a free look into how the valves looked like at 22k. Funny thing is, later at my 30k service they commented that there was some residual stains from the same dealership not cleaning up after the water pump job.