GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID light recommend please

herase84

I hate halogen light. i am trying to install HID on my 2011 GTI.
ofc it's non HID lamp. is it even possible to hook up a HID kit on my car?
or do i need to change lamp first before putting HIDs in?

Does anyone know what i need to look for on e-bay? =D

wes16y

Passed Driver's Ed
yup it is possible, you need a HID conversion kit. since your headlight housing are made for halogens and it does not have projectors, it will cause glare. just make sure you get the right bulb size and you just gotta find a good location to mount the ballast. i'm sure a lot of ppl on this forum has done it, just use the search and you'll find info on this.

herase84

yup it is possible, you need a HID conversion kit. since your headlight housing are made for halogens and it does not have projectors, it will cause glare. just make sure you get the right bulb size and you just gotta find a good location to mount the ballast. i'm sure a lot of ppl on this forum has done it, just use the search and you'll find info on this.

Great! ty for your help there buddy.

Ivoryplum

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd recommend not installing HIDs with the halogen headlight casing.
Since halogens (without projectors) basically spray the light everywhere, the brighter HIDs will do the same and blind oncoming drivers. Just not safe.

snofrandy

Ready to race!
Spraying of the light can be misleading. It's not as bad as people say it is.

If you measure the position of the fillament of regular H7 and compare it to the capsule of HID w/ an H7 base, you would find that the difference between the distance from base to fillament/capsule is .05mm, a negligible difference. This is regular light physics and optics. if you change the light source along the axis, the angle of reflection would also change. in this case, it's not a drastic change.

Compare the H7 bulb to what Honda uses, 9006. this distance of base vs fillament and base vs capsule is off by about 4mm. So the glare would be more obvious.

However, since the lights ARE brighter, it is brighter for drivers on the other side. Solution? If you're the driver on the other side, don't be like an animal and stare at the light. DMV Handbook tells you to look towards the lower right side, not directly at it. I also never heard of any accidents happening because of that.

Also, another reason why GTI's glare won't be as bad, if you look at stock halogens, there's a pretty good light cut-off. the cut-off for HIDs will be close to that.

Need proof? I'll post pics of my HID vs halogen in driver side for comparison purpose, and I won't adjust anything.

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
Did you change Hi and Lo beams? I'm thinking of doing just high beams, haven't done any checking though.

skwan

I installed the HID conversions for my low beam and fog lights and they are the 5Ks. I was only flicked 3 times in the 2 months I had them. And I realized why i got flicked. it was cuz my passenger side low beam HID was not sitting in the housing properly. Once I screwed it in properly and it was aimed properly, everything was cool again. the cut off is the same as the halogens.

So the concept of blinding on coming cars needs to be evaluated on a car model basis. This is definitely not true for the MK6 GTI.

lmlloyd

Ready to race!
However, since the lights ARE brighter, it is brighter for drivers on the other side. Solution? If you're the driver on the other side, don't be like an animal and stare at the light. DMV Handbook tells you to look towards the lower right side, not directly at it. I also never heard of any accidents happening because of that.

Oh come on. Nothing against you personally, but "well don't look at them if they are too bright" is a jackass defense. There are any number of conditions (coming around a corner, cresting a hill, when you are right behind them in their rearview mirror), where other drivers can't help but look at your lights, and don't kid yourself, if they are too bright, then they are at the very least a major annoyance, and the worst a danger.

Please people, if you are going to retrofit HIDs on your car, either buy or make a proper retrofit like these:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11373

instead of blinding everyone else on the road with some ghetto bulb-swap retrofit. Aside from just safety issues, do you really want to spend money on your car just to ensure that every single person you drive by at night thinks "Jesus, turn off your high-beams jackass!"

zee

Go Kart Champion
Need proof? I'll post pics of my HID vs halogen in driver side for comparison purpose, and I won't adjust anything.

Take your picture against a wall like this and report back.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
now that's a good one,mine were even worse i have HID's in halogen housing and it sucks i had to adjust the aim all the way down so i dont blind on coming cars and now i can't see in front of me,

i just order a set of projector headlights

snofrandy

Ready to race!

1st pic, stock halogen driver side, 5k HID left side
2nd pic, both HIDs

Top of the cut-off is about 25" from the floor, with my driveway angled up

tell me where the "scattered" light is.

As i stated this is UNadjusted.

Last edited:

zee

Go Kart Champion
Roll back another 10-15ft and take a picture again facing the garage door/wall.

The HIDs light output keeps rising as we can see it is already slightly higher in your first picture comparison.

Attachments

• hidfocalpt-xl.jpg
    hidfocalpt-xl.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 475