GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID light recommend please

driftingti6

Ready to race!
i want to change my halogen light to hid , but the problem the hid light bulb cant fit into the halogen lamp. anyone know how to fix that?

zee

Go Kart Champion
many thanks, one more question, is it good to change the hid, and any bad things about it. like bad view.

It is good for the owner but bad for other motorists.
When putting hids in halogen housing, the fact is that you will be able to see more of the roads because the light intensity is brighter and the beam pattern scatters around alot more. The downside Is that you will be blinding oncoming traffic as well as cars that you are driving behind. This is why it is not recommended, frowned upon and illegal in some places.

snofrandy

Ready to race!
i'm sorry but tell me where the scattering is from my photo? not trying to criticize or anything, just want to defend the position of reflector housing, which is correct term since halogen bulbs also use projectors in OEM applications.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!

1st pic, stock halogen driver side, 5k HID left side

Top of the cut-off is about 25" from the floor, with my driveway angled up

tell me where the "scattered" light is.

As i stated this is UNadjusted.

Just look at the halogen compared to the HID, the beam pattern is well defined with sharp "edges" but the HID one is just a mess.

snofrandy

Ready to race!
Roll back another 10-15ft and take a picture again facing the garage door/wall.

The HIDs light output keeps rising as we can see it is already slightly higher in your first picture comparison.

and you can see that the point of the ballast also moved in that pic significantly. Compare the capsule of H7 HID conversion vs halogen H7 and it is not much difference compared to 9006 HID vs halogen 9006.

As requested, I will post a 10-15feet farther pic, though thats already about a good 15 feet

snofrandy

Ready to race!
Just look at the halogen compared to the HID, the beam pattern is well defined with sharp "edges" but the HID one is just a mess.

yes it's not sharp, but it's not "scattered" as people claims HIDs in reflector housing do

zee

Go Kart Champion
i'm sorry but tell me where the scattering is from my photo? not trying to criticize or anything, just want to defend the position of reflector housing, which is correct term since halogen bulbs also use projectors in OEM applications.

As I said, roll back another 10-15ft and take a picture again facing the garage door/wall.

You are too close to the door. Your picture is different from the one that I posted and looks like 5ft. You wont be driving 5ft behind someone's bumper and at 5ft the beam pattern wont be high enough(if you can see the diagram that I posted).

snofrandy

Ready to race!
As I said, roll back another 10-15ft and take a picture again facing the garage door/wall.

You are too close to the door. Your picture is different from the one that I posted and looks like 5ft. You wont be driving 5ft behind someone's bumper and at 5ft the beam pattern wont be high enough(if you can see the diagram that I posted).

perception of wide angle lens can be deceiving. if u guys prove your point that it's really bad scattering at farther distance (ie 30ft), I will concede. This time i'll put it in a level surface too. I'll try to get another person next to me w/ OEM projector HID for comparison.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Back when I had a WRX, there was a big debate about this kinda stuff in the NASIOC forums. I tried looking for the thread where there were tons of comparison pics, but I unfortunately could not find it. I'll post a link to that thread if I can find it.

Most people basically agreed that unless you have the right housing/optics/etc. hardware for your HID bulbs, you would be creating a hazard for oncoming drivers with hardware that is not specifically made for the increased output of HIDs will unnecessarily allow light to shine higher than it should. It's easy to change the bulbs, but you NEED the accompanying hardware even if you think it looks okay without it.

Those who disagreed appeared to be wrong even after people pointed out the issues with the beam pattern in the pictures that they posted, but they held on to their opinions.

That said, I'm all for getting HID headlights. Heck, after having them, I can't say that I'd ever want to go back to having regular headlights. Thing is, if you're going to install HID lights on your car, do it right. Spend the extra money and get a quality setup so you can have better lighting at night for yourself, and be less of a hazard for anyone else on the road.

In general, it's best to go with OEM setups if at all possible, but we all know that would be far from the cheapest route. It would give you the guaranteed, and legal, quality you need though.

Edit:
I found at least one post from the NASIOC forums showing how subtle the difference can be, but it's also enough to be an issue for oncoming drivers.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30825369&postcount=49

At first glance, there's not much of a difference between the two pictures aside from maybe the color of the light. However, if you look at the bricks above the garage door and even the front door of the house, you'll notice that the HID kit in the WRX with the stock projector housings produces enough glare to clearly light up the bricks and the front door to the point where you can see the detail of those objects whereas with the OEM HID setup in the first picture leaves the bricks and front door dark and pretty hard to see.

Here's another post with some comparison pics:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32211181&postcount=12

OEM HID lights/hardware will direct light to where it needs to be, on the road. Conversion kits will mostly do the same, but also allow too much light to shine elsewhere. I can't even tell you how many stupid HID kits I've seen that annoy me while driving, especially at night. They're not exactly hard to spot either.

I'm gonna have to side with bubuski on this one. I remember really wanting HID lights and was almost willing to get a conversion kit, but I also knew that it could be a problem for other drivers so I decided against it and got OEM HID lights with my next car so I knew they would be set up right.

Last edited:

snofrandy

Ready to race!
Alright here's my shots. Taken at 8ft (fig. 2), 16ft (fig. 3), 24ft (fig. 4), 32ft (fig. 5), 34ft (fig. 6)
Each parking space is 8ft wide, as indicated (fig. 1). The height of the highest point of the beam is between 24" and 25" (fig 7.)

(fig. 1)

(fig. 2)

(fig. 3)

(fig. 4)

(fig. 5)

(fig. 6)

(fig. 7)

As I said before, and shown in bubski's pic, the angle of reflection will change if the reflectors are fixed, and the source of light is moved along any axis. In bubski's pic, notice the significant change of source of light in that axis. that's why it threw off the refleciton angle. In the case of comparison between H7 HID ballast and H7 halogen filament, the difference between the two sources of light is .05mm, which is insignificant. That's why you don't see light scattering that will distract oncoming traffic. The cut-off is of course not as sharp as projectors, yet it shown that it has a proper cut-off. The cut-off also barely moves, as shown.