GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High mileage mk6 GTI

nav922

Hi all,

Im new to the page. I currently drive a seat ibiza 1.2tsi and looking to change over to a mk6 gti. just after some advice on what to look out for and is it worth going for a high mileage gti ?

i have found one which if full spec but has 128k miles on with full service history 11 stamps, 1 keeper & priced @ 6,995.

Any help would be appreciated thank you

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The timing chain tensioner is the big issue. Models after 2013 should have the updated tensioner. If unsure if it was replaced I'd check.

Do you have OBD11 or VagCom?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have a carista which i use to scan with

Ah okay. I was thinking it would be good to take a block 93 measurement to check the chain slack but you can't take measurements with that. Not required but something that can be a concern with higher mileage cars.

klasstaffan

Yeah if I get one I definitely want to try to have it looked over by a professional haha. I remember hearing about the tensioner, good look reminding me. Definitely will get records before buying anything, especially if I end up getting a DSG (which isn't my first choice since they need maintenance I am not confident the average driver will keep up with).

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
That's nothing, I went 282,000 and motor still ran.

Like others said. Check on the timing chain/tensioner, as it's a $2,000+ job. Also id expect the suspension to start needing attention near the mileage you are looking at. As long as you understand it may need some work, go for it. Great cars! Just do oil changes every 5,000 miles, not 10 as VW suggests.

zrickety

The Fixer
That's nothing, I went 282,000 and motor still ran.

Like others said. Check on the timing chain/tensioner, as it's a $2,000+ job. Also id expect the suspension to start needing attention near the mileage you are looking at. As long as you understand it may need some work, go for it. Great cars! Just do oil changes every 5,000 miles, not 10 as VW suggests.
Thread is 2 years old.
The timing chain tensioner and chain can be done for $200 if you have the tools. Timing tool kits can be had for less than $50.
I agree with early oil changes, but failures still happen. I've replaced a failed tensioner and balance shaft, have almost 190k now.