GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I really want to love my R, but...

zdelavale

yeah i have that same problem with the volume and my touch screen. its unfortunately just a feature that volkswagen just happened to screw up.

dwagner88

Ready to race!
My MS3 had every feature you listed except the rear view mirror auto dropping feature. It also stickered for almost exactly the same price as my 2010 GTI which came without leather and auto climate control. Sure the GTI is assembled with more care, but let's be honest, it isn't all about features. If you were looking for bang for the buck, the Golf R wasn't a good choice. It's a great car, but it is expensive.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
That rattle might be the wastegate rattle. The rest of the features can be solved with getting an auto dimming mirror for about 90 bucks and auto headlights for another 90 bucks. Rain sensing wipers pissed me off when I had them on the r32. You can get a Rear View Camera installed so you wouldn't need the mirror to dip. The volume thing isn't that annoying. The radio is very fast.

I don't know why another member said they would trade KESSY for auto headlights and rain sensing wipers and the auto dimming mirror. You can get 2-3 features for under 200 bucks. KESSY is priceless!

ali1

Ready to race!
everything you mentiont i have on my car
and it works good maybe it is the difference between euro and US

its a shame vw did this but non the less you still drive an awesome car!!

Dayv

Ready to race!
I don't know why another member said they would trade KESSY for auto headlights and rain sensing wipers and the auto dimming mirror. You can get 2-3 features for under 200 bucks. KESSY is priceless!

I've never driven a car with it, so I probably just haven't come to appreciate it yet. Give me about six weeks and see what I say about it then.

JhnR

Banned
seems like you wanna drive a Cadillac? :laugh:

krische

vdubber in training
2. A/C comes on randomly. I can turn it off, but it will reenable itself again.

Do you have it on defrost? It's the same in the GTI, if you put it on defrost, the A/C turns on. The purpose of this is to remove the humidity in the air that you are blowing on to windshield.

SDSurfRider

That rattle might be the wastegate rattle. The rest of the features can be solved with getting an auto dimming mirror for about 90 bucks and auto headlights for another 90 bucks. Rain sensing wipers pissed me off when I had them on the r32. You can get a Rear View Camera installed so you wouldn't need the mirror to dip. The volume thing isn't that annoying. The radio is very fast.

Thanks very much! I'll research the wastegate rattle and look into all the other upgrades too.

I wholeheartedly agree that KESSY is amazing. It's definitely one of my favorite features of this R.

Someone didn't do their homework before buying a $35K car....

.... tune it, and that should help.

You didn't know about your cars "missing" features when you bought it? :laugh: WTF ?

Sir you bought a GOLF.

I was thinking the same thing...

seems like you wanna drive a Cadillac? :laugh:

OK. While I don't normally respond to non-constructive posts like these, I'll bite. Hopefully, it will shed some light on areas that are now irrelevant to the entire point of this thread...

I conducted extremely thorough research before buying this car. The purchase was made by evaluating the major features of the cars I was considering. There was no point to looking down into fine details like the convenience features I listed, because their presence (or lack thereof) would still have had no bearing on the purchase I made, regardless of how much they annoy me after the fact.

Quite simply, I bought the R because I loved my MK5 .:R32 but always wished I had a 4-door and a manual transmission. When considering the MK6 R, it's important to note that it sits alone in its price range and feature set. There really isn't another vehicle to look at. People always want to throw STi and Evo into the mix, but fully-loaded both of these are in the $45k+ range and that is unacceptable. I am happy with the deal that I got on my R, because it was right in the range that I was willing to spend. But, the point of this thread is that it still has room for improvement and that is what I am looking for help with.

With regard to the features that I am griping about, my MK5 .:R32 had ALL of them except fog lights and dipping side mirrors in Reverse. I take responsibility for not looking at the R closer, but I was running under the assumption that VW wouldn't downgrade the MK6 in terms of features and that's exactly what they did. It still makes no sense to me that they would remove things that the MK5 had. :iono:

The other main point of this thread was to get feedback on the mechanical problems I've encountered so far. All the research in the world couldn't have prevented these from occurring, so again it's moot to belabor the point.

Do you have it on defrost? It's the same in the GTI, if you put it on defrost, the A/C turns on. The purpose of this is to remove the humidity in the air that you are blowing on to windshield.

Hi krische. No, I haven't had a need for defrost yet. This happens with normal Climatronic functionality.

---

Thank you so very much to everyone who provided helpful replies! I can see the light, and I'm looking forward to tweaking my R to get it just how I'd like it. :clap:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Why didn't you buy an AWD Audi A3, at 32k?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I wholeheartedly agree that KESSY is amazing. It's definitely one of my favorite features of this R.

I conducted extremely thorough research before buying this car. The purchase was made by evaluating the major features of the cars I was considering. There was no point to looking down into fine details like the convenience features I listed, because their presence (or lack thereof) would still have had no bearing on the purchase I made, regardless of how much they annoy me after the fact.

;)

The only "major" features are the K04, the AWD, and maybe the brakes, everything else I'd be looking into beforehand, esp for the premium model that you bought with Kessy, etc, etc., and at that price tag :eek:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
true^^^....

where's the accountant / lawyer / auto journalist driver guy, C4L? OP, he will give you all the stats and data on this.