GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I really want to love my R, but...

krische

vdubber in training
:laugh:

you should have said that after post 1.

true^^^....

where's the accountant / lawyer / auto journalist driver guy, C4L? OP, he will give you all the stats and data on this.

SDSurfRider

;)

The only "major" features are the K04, the AWD, and maybe the brakes, everything else I'd be looking into beforehand, esp for the premium model that you bought with Kessy, etc, etc., and at that price tag :eek:

KESSY was a welcome surprise. I wasn't looking for it and didn't care about it, but it's very nice to have. :D

Leather, sunroof, and premium fit and finish were other must-have features for me. This is a big part of why STi and Evo were not seriously considered, despite their mechanical advantages.

Why didn't you buy an AWD Audi A3, at 32k?

Alone, the external appearance of the R is enough to justify the difference in price.

When you factor in the added 56 HP and 36 lb-ft of torque also, it's a no-brainer to buy the R.

Last edited:

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Or you could have chipped the A3 and had the same car, no?

SDSurfRider

Or you could have chipped the A3 and had the same car, no?

Nope. Chipping would do nothing to fix the appearance of the A3, which I dislike.

I've had enough car problems in the past that required warranty repairs, so I'm quite concerned about chipping any vehicle.

While more power would always be nice, the stress about worrying about major repairs not being covered by warranty because of a chip is something I can happily live without.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Gotcha, I'm kinda the same way...

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Not sure what to think about this thread, but the OP - in regards to convenience features - this is stuff probably you should have checked out prior to buying....the GTI/R itself is a driver's car first and foremost - this is what leads me to my next question about these "noises" you are hearing and you can't recreate make this thread just a little weird...

perhaps you should do some logging see if you can show where you hear these noises?

The R is quite the sought after car for someone to buy it not aware of these features mentioned...

SDSurfRider

Not sure what to think about this thread, but the OP - in regards to convenience features - this is stuff probably you should have checked out prior to buying....the GTI/R itself is a driver's car first and foremost - this is what leads me to my next question about these "noises" you are hearing and you can't recreate make this thread just a little weird...

perhaps you should do some logging see if you can show where you hear these noises?

The R is quite the sought after car for someone to buy it not aware of these features mentioned...

Hi Randum. Thanks for responding. Please see this post above, where I explained that the rationale for buying this car took place at a level of detail that was not as fine as comparing every last convenience feature.

I do understand your point though. Please just understand that there was no other car in the price range to compare down to that level of detail.

With regard to the mechanical problems, I've had 2 VW techs and 1 service manager in the vehicle. They all heard these noises and were perplexed by both their existence and the difficulty in reliably reproducing them; so much so that their only recourse was "drive it and see if it gets worse".

SDSurfRider

Well dude, what do you want us to tell you?

You bought a car for 40k after tax, that you don't seem to like.

You didn't do your research before you dropped that kind of money which is reckless.

Besides starting to call you names what else is left?

Lots of other people in this thread have been quite friendly and capable of providing very useful and helpful information without trolling me.

If you are unwilling to help and out of options for bashing me further, how about you just stop? Those helpful individuals and I will continue our friendly discourse addressing the point for which this thread was created.

:rolleyes:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
KESSY was a welcome surprise. I wasn't looking for it and didn't care about it, but it's very nice to have. :D

Leather, sunroof, and premium fit and finish were other must-have features for me. This is a big part of why STi and Evo were not seriously considered, despite their mechanical advantages.

Alone, the external appearance of the R is enough to justify the difference in price.

When you factor in the added 56 HP and 36 lb-ft of torque also, it's a no-brainer to buy the R.

KESSY rules, I agree and love mine as well.

Leather and sunroof available on the STI and Evo premium trims, but I agree on overall fit and finish being lackluster compared to the VW's.

External R - save for the front bumper, it looks pretty much like a GTI, even with the rear exhaust valence/dual pipes.

56hp and 36tq can be had for well under $2K on a stock GTI, but i understand your concerns on modding a vehicle under factory.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
To the OP, thanks for keeping the thread civil - not sure on the noises...sounds like you are just unhappy - did you think about recouping your costs and trading it in for something else? The R should be the premium Golf trim and really shouldnt have "unknown noises" in it. I'd throw a stink IMO - but if that solves nothing then I'm not sure what you can do.

Sorry your dub isnt rubbing you right! Sounds like no fun at all

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
KESSY rules, I agree and love mine as well.
56hp and 36tq can be had for well under $2K on a stock GTI, but i understand your concerns on modding a vehicle under factory.

More like 70hp and 51tq. APRs tests have shown that the US R is making the same as the RoW. Stage 1+ will get you an additional 79hp and 89tq over stock, or 335hp and 338tw at the crank. That's compared to 254hp and 303tq at the crank for a stage 1 GTI with an intake... by APRs numbers.

EDIT, I see you were just quoting the OP with those figures. Figured I'd set the record straight anyway.

Last edited: