GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In the market, test drove a 2011 GTI and a 2011/2015 WRX. I'm shocked

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I test drove a focus ST 3 times and test drove the GTI once before I made my decision, the key comfort features(heated seats standard? come on!) I know on paper the GTI isn't "faster" but it felt faster and the clutch/stick felt a lot smoother, not to mention american cars seem to depreciate like it's nobodies business

Funny. I bought mine for $28,500 and just last week had a dealer offer me $26k for it. 19 months old.....

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Lulz - because for you its the right car because Dem seats didn't fit you and you are all TDI'd up!

No point going WRX to ST. Lots of point going WRX to TDI!

OH DANG!

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Slamming doors, not avoiding potholes, throwing shit around your interior, sitting your ass down too hard. Lots of ways.

But Robutt, didn't you say your GTI rattled? So are you then saying that you did these things to yours? And you're not now doing them to your FoST because it's not rattling yet?

I'm about to turn 29000 miles in my GTI and it's still pretty tight inside. I think unplugging my Soundaktor 2 years ago helped mitigate some rattling and buzzing. :)

SnackyJ

I agree those are all good things to do... and maybe they do play a part. but I think squeaks and rattles are more dependent on build than anything

Yeah my 2012 WRX rattled a month after I bought it.

I think it was partly due to the drony exhaust in the sedan. The other part is that it's all hard plastic rubbing up on itself.

My GTI has a couple of rattles that come and go, but it's a much quieter car also. So I'm able to be more picky. No where near the level of the WRX though. It usually turns out that the rattles are change in one of the compartments, or a zipper from one of my bags or something. I've heard that rattles can develop so when they do, I won't be too bummed.

Other than that, for me, the GTI is the "better" car. Better meaning more well rounded for my use. The stereo, seats, steering wheel, shifter, are all better in the GTI (than the WRX).

I'm sure the ST is awesome, in fact I bet in some cases it's more fun than a WRX, but I don't push my cars hard and wanted something a bit more subdued so I chose the GTI.

In the end they're all cool cars and you just have to see what 1. makes financial sense and 2. what car you'd be able to live with.

Bender1

Banned
But Robutt, didn't you say your GTI rattled? So are you then saying that you did these things to yours? And you're not now doing them to your FoST because it's not rattling yet?

I'm about to turn 29000 miles in my GTI and it's still pretty tight inside. I think unplugging my Soundaktor 2 years ago helped mitigate some rattling and buzzing. :)

No, my GTI was LARGELY rattle free at 100k. Either side of that argument is spurious IMO.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
No, my GTI was LARGELY rattle free at 100k. Either side of that argument is spurious IMO.

Dammit. If only... mine rattled more than a horse drawn buggy at 10k.

How did I get fucked with the shittiest GTI ever built? :cry:

Jaber

Modero
No love for the FiST? Despite it's smaller size. Looks like a fun little car.

EMaster24

Ready to race!

because I can't be the only one...

spu·ri·ous [spyoor-ee-uhs]
adjective
1. not genuine, authentic, or true; not from the claimed, pretended, or proper source; counterfeit.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Straightline speed is not something I ever tested. If you want straightline speed you go to a Mustang. I have no idea which would be faster, but both are pretty close on speed (stage 2 versus stock, which is a goofy comparison). You can make anything as fast as you want to make it if you throw money at it.

Well, straightline speed, acceleration, etc. is a part of performance. The only reason I even mentioned stage 2 is because you said that your (what I would call...significantly modded suspension~wise, save for the Tyrolsport subframe kit and summer rubber) stage 2 GTI was "just approaching" the performance level of an ST. You are the only person I've read/heard say that.

Having pushed both these cars HARD in the way they are meant to be (back roads, etc.) there is absolutely no comparison. The ST is significantly better than, what I think many would agree to be, a flawlessly organized GTI suspension on my previous car. The ST is what I was TRYING to get my GTI to be, and it never was. A stock GTI handles well, don't get me wrong, but there is no comparison to an ST when driven hard. None.

Again, as I said, stock vs. stock, the ST has the edge. Not arguing that.

I dunno if I'd say people switching from GTI to ST are compromising performance. Again, in stock form, the cars are very, very similar performance wise. It's more like picking an ice cream flavor...you like Cookie Dough or Rocky Road? In the end, it's just subjective opinion and how the car "feels" to the driver.

This is factually incorrect.

I hate hate hate benchmark racing but in this case, having been the one person in this thread that has owned both, it is fairly well supported by the real world.

0-60:
GTI - 6.4
ST - 5.9

1/4 Mile:
GTI - 15
ST - 14.6

Skid Pad:
GTI - .90g
ST -.96g

To say they are similar performance wise is ludicrous.

Ludicrous? O'rly? Those numbers aren't close enough to be considered similar? Especially when I've seen 0-60 times for the GTI vary from 5.9-6.4 and quarter mile times from mid to upper 14s depending on publication?

S'ok.

Listen, the point of my post was not to start an efight. I'm merely offering a varied, different and increasingly minority (apparently) opinion on the attributes of the GTI.

Somebody comes here and makes a detailed and well written first post about being really interested in the GTI only to have a mod with a ton of posts infer that while a GTI is nice, comparing a GTI to an ST is about as close as comparing a Matrix to an ST. Well, IMO, that's just not true.

And, guess what, for 98% of the population (and that number might be even higher) they are in fact, very similar performance wise.

Bender1

Banned
Well, straightline speed, acceleration, etc. is a part of performance. The only reason I even mentioned stage 2 is because you said that your (what I would call...significantly modded suspension~wise, save for the Tyrolsport subframe kit and summer rubber) stage 2 GTI was "just approaching" the performance level of an ST. You are the only person I've read/heard say that.

I THINK i am the only one ot have made the direct comparison.

Somebody comes here and makes a detailed and well written first post about being really interested in the GTI only to have a mod with a ton of posts infer that while a GTI is nice, comparing a GTI to an ST is about as close as comparing a Matrix to an ST. Well, IMO, that's just not true.

The post I was responding to was simply ill informed. The guy MUST get the car he wants otherwise he won't be happy! To try and justify it based on half facts and half truths simply doesn't work. It doesn't need to be justified, it just needs to be driven and liked.

And, guess what, for 98% of the population (and that number might be even higher) they are in fact, very similar performance wise.

Exactly the reason for my edit above:

Edit - rethinking the OP coming from a Taurus. If you don't know how to drive a car fast, get the GTI. You will get more out of it, you will almost certainly enjoy it more, and will experience a better bang for your buck. The FoST is harder to drive hard and fast, it is just more rewarding when you do.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
A DSG equipped GTI with summer rubber would narrow those stats even further

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Quoting sales guys is the equivalent of asking a pathological liar to recall a crime that he/she may have committed.

WAP

Go Kart Champion

I reread your post again. Got it now. :thumbsup:

A DSG equipped GTI with summer rubber would narrow those stats even further

+1. Summer tires would make a BIG difference with DSG, agreed.