GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In the market, test drove a 2011 GTI and a 2011/2015 WRX. I'm shocked

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Must be why you ride the short bus...

Compared to a mk6 GTI an ST is better except in subjective reasons. He even had a modded GTI. He is just speaking from experience.

Don't be one of the fanboi faithful. GTI is a great car, no one disputes that. He only states an ST outperforms it. Which every publication agrees with. You are bashing him for doing the same thing he is doing - stating an opinion (thought more fact for him when it comes to the performance category).

Man, so much hate for anyone who drives anything other than a GTI and expresses their like for it.

Man, you just don't get it. None of us care about your non enthusiast opinion, so why waste your time here? Are you actually trying to irritate people?

Every single person here who drives one of these cars has shown that they have enough money to buy a faster car. So to tell us that there are faster cars out there is just stating the obvious.

Water is wet, the sky is blue, for $25k to $28k you can buy a car that runs faster than high 14's in the 1/4 mile, and when you go to an enthusiast forum for a specific car there are people there who prefer that vehicle over their other options.

I'm not bashing him for stating an opinion. We expect people like you to come around every once in a while to split hairs and talk about how much better another hatch from another brand is a vastly superior performance car because can get around a skidpad holding .0X higher G's, or through the 1/4 mile at .X seconds faster. If we wanted to go faster than you, we would, all it takes is money and the willingness to part with it.

But when the moderators are doing it? When the staff here cares so little about the morale of the average poster then why should I even bother coming and contributing?

oddHarmonix

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting story

Man I'm in a similar boat, late 20s grad and just gots me an adult-like car :D! I was also considering a WRX or a Lancer Ralli Art (new one with 4wd and evo engine). But the GTI is so much bang for the buck. Difference is I went for DSG instead of manual. Figured I've driven stick long enough to merit the pleasure of driving a DSG in these crazy Cali traffic jams and the wifey can finally driver her as well.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Man, you just don't get it. None of us care about your non enthusiast opinion, so why waste your time here? Are you actually trying to irritate people?

Every single person here who drives one of these cars has shown that they have enough money to buy a faster car. So to tell us that there are faster cars out there is just stating the obvious.

Water is wet, the sky is blue, for $25k to $28k you can buy a car that runs faster than high 14's in the 1/4 mile, and when you go to an enthusiast forum for a specific car there are people there who prefer that vehicle over their other options.

I'm not bashing him for stating an opinion. We expect people like you to come around every once in a while to split hairs and talk about how much better another hatch from another brand is a vastly superior performance car because can get around a skidpad holding .0X higher G's, or through the 1/4 mile at .X seconds faster. If we wanted to go faster than you, we would, all it takes is money and the willingness to part with it.

But when the moderators are doing it? When the staff here cares so little about the morale of the average poster then why should I even bother coming and contributing?

The GTI has usually been bested by other cars when it comes to performance stats.
Virtually everyone who gets a GTI knows that, yet ops for the GTI.
There's a whole lot more to the experience of owning a car than its ultimate performance numbers.
Ask me if I care that the Focus at the light next to me slightly nudges my car out on performance stats.

jjohns1508

Ready to race!
Comparing....
a pre 2015 GTI to a 2015 WRX seems foolish.

2015+ on both :laugh: And looks like the gti may actually be faster handle better and stop better out of the box... which is intriguing

IN this month's MotorTrend magazine they compared the 2015 GTI, WRX, Civic Si, and Mini Cooper. The WRX had already beaten the ST, so they didn't include it.
Suprisingly they ranked the GTI first, next was the WRX, then Civic, and finally the mini.

They said there were two races going on. the GTI vs WRX and the Si vs Mini.
Seems like VW has stepped up their game with the 2015.

Also, I dont see how a stage 1 mk6 GTI doesnt a least equal the straight line performance of an ST. Especially with a stage 1 DM tune getting 275HP. Sure you dont get the lift off over steer but...

STING

Ready to race!
The Focus ST is a mucho fugly car!
The front looks like a pensioner with no teeth getting a rectal examination!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Who the fuck are you? Non enthusiast opinion? So, you are an enthusiast but I am not?

Nice one, pompous prick.

Yet again you have proven you inability to read and comprehend what is being said.

Morale of the average poster? What is this place? Of course there are faster cars than a GTI. They are not fast cars in stock form, though the mk7 is getting there nicely.

Go ahead and try to assert your dominance here. Piss all over the place proving you are an enthusiast and I am not. Keep trying to find posts that are all fanboi all the time. There are many people who like to hear different perspectives, particularly from people who have experience with such things. Apparently you are not.

Wow. Good luck getting off the short bus. :attention_whore:

As far as trying to irritate people, I am just trying to irritate you now. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I'll just leave this here...

All -

We (the moderators) have been discussing the current tone of the forum and do not like what we have seen.

Many threads are being derailed by totally non-relevant conversation, personal attacks are growing, technical discussions are getting pulled off course, and things seem to be generally "off course."

As a result we (the moderators) will be more strictly enforcing already established rules. This won't mean much to most of you, but it may mean some moved threads/posts and deleted posts. Additionally we ask you ALL to keep more "on-topic" so we don't have to delete multiple posts in a thread.

To some of you, this may mean potential bans. As of this moment, you are all in good graces (unless you have previously been warned). That said, warnings and temp bans will come quickly for the foreseeable future. Please take any warning seriously, we don't want to ban anyone.

I know this comes off as a bit harsh, that is not the intent. Really, the intent is to get us back to where we should be, have been, and can be again. For a long time this was, by far, the most friendly AND the most technically savvy board. I think we still are, but we want to re-solidify that position.

Thanks

- The Mods.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Oh dear. I guess my posts about performance pertaining to the cars mentioned in this thread was off course. And if my posting is an attack, then look at what you said to me first.

Get over yourself. You are doing the same thing you are saying I did.

Everything I said was relevant before you called me a "non enthusiast" :cry:. Only my response to that was not. I'll play games if you want to play games. But don't come in here and name call just because you disagree with what I or anyone else posts.

Again, the GTI is a great car. It is the best car for many at the price point, but is not the best car in every category. Just accept that is the point of what some are saying, and move on. No big deal.

I do love that the GTI mk7 can beat a new WRX around a track. That is amazing. Almost makes me wish I was in the market for a quick little hatch that gets great MPG/performance for a car under $30k. Almost....

OP, have you test driven a mk7 GTI? I think you should look into that a little bit. You never know, might be more affordable than you think....

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Oh dear. I guess my posts about performance pertaining to the cars mentioned in this thread was off course. And if my posting is an attack, then look at what you said to me first.

Get over yourself. You are doing the same thing you are saying I did.

Everything I said was relevant before you called me a "non enthusiast" :cry:. Only my response to that was not. I'll play games if you want to play games. But don't come in here and name call just because you disagree with what I or anyone else posts.

Again, the GTI is a great car. It is the best car for many at the price point, but is not the best car in every category. Just accept that is the point of what some are saying, and move on. No big deal.

I do love that the GTI mk7 can beat a new WRX around a track. That is amazing. Almost makes me wish I was in the market for a quick little hatch that gets great MPG/performance for a car under $30k. Almost....

OP, have you test driven a mk7 GTI? I think you should look into that a little bit. You never know, might be more affordable than you think....

Nick, I didn't say anything particularly rude or disrespectful to you. I certainly didn't write any pointed insults; anybody who can read can see that I haven't called you any names. This response is semi interesting though, it almost looks like you're trying to rationalize your behavior with lies.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It beat it around the figure 8, not the road course ;)

And yes, lets calm down on the behavior, name calling, and profanities, please.

Bighead1

Ready to race!
New Wrx is a monster. They finally figured out how to get decent mileage out of it. I know the gti lags behind more performance oriented vehicles like the Wrx or an St. But then I'd sit in my car and drive it for a bit, and I'd forget about everything else. But I'd see a vid about a Wrx, and that all comes back. Whatever though, I know the MkVII R is faster than a Veyron , and I'm gonna trade in, methinks....

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Nick, I didn't say anything particularly rude or disrespectful to you. I certainly didn't write any pointed insults; anybody who can read can see that I haven't called you any names. This response is semi interesting though, it almost looks like you're trying to rationalize your behavior with lies.

You called me a non enthusiast. Name called. Now saying I am lying. See below....

Short Bus said:

Sounds rude to me, but I am a butthurt billy about things. :iono:

Either way, just because there is a difference of opinion there is no reason to post what you posted, however you meant it. Leave it as a difference of opinion. No more.

Back on topic......

A new mk7 GTI is pretty solid when comparing to a new WRX. The difference in performance would be negligible for most but the Subie faithful. VW is getting it right. GTI has always been a great car, but lacking when comparing performance. It has always been about quality and superior interior, but now it has stock performance to back that up.

Very impressed.