GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Info on the New MK7 Golf R (300hp)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I fail to see what the engine has to do with the transmission when it comes to certification of a component, then again I am not sure what the real reason here is, but logically speaking it makes no sense. Unless they have to be "certified" as one unit.

They certified the engine which is ONLY found in the golf R and no other car in the us.

And they didn't certify the transmission which is already found in the A3.

They supposedly said its not by transmission or motor itself, its by car model. Again, this was one of the excuses shelled out around 2010 or so.

Many things in business, gov't regulation, red tape, etc, doesn't make sense, no? lol

Gun thanks for the post. If the Mk7 Gti is any indication this new R must be superb. I loved my test in the MK7-Gti but I can see NOT getting the Gti if this new R is half as good as it sounds!!!

word:thumbsup:

They were generous but silly to bring the R as a manual. Only a few people bought that over a subaru. I don't see them making that mistake again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

yeah, its a small percentage who do.. but heck, I would as well, but that market is getting older and the pricing still remains high.

The MS3 is manual only. Perhaps they (VW) thought that's what people wanted? :iono:

Proof you can't please everyone....

agreed on both.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
They also just plain botched the launch. I got my GTI in December 2011 and the R was still not available here. That and Focus St were my top 2 choices but I didn't have time to wait.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I would have gotten the R as well if it was available in 2011...

Given the DSG upcharge an R could be nearly 40k... which seems insane for a golf.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The new mazda 3/mazdaspeed 3 should be a very interesting alternative, esp if they decide to make it awd.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Techically if i want a s3 with manual id get the new r and give up the sedan. The s3 sedan is nice (if i liked dsg which havent driven), and the new a3 hatch looks better in person as well as the mk7 golf when i was overseas.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
To be honest... when the S3 sedan does finally come out... I'd be really hard pressed to spend 40k+ tax on that over a 20k for a then slightly used 2013 R. That's the route I'd go.

trd420

Go Kart Champion

The Motor

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Timing belt?

Eswin17

Ready to race!
I'll definitely be in the market for a DSG MK7 R