GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Info on the New MK7 Golf R (300hp)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Just like every R in the past? Hard to justify a Golf in the upper 30s IMO.

I'd agree with this.....but is this what people say about Civic Type Rs?

I don't know. This car certainly has a lot of toe curling aura behind it, I just don't think it'll deliver the "absolute", you know? The front certainly is an eye catcher, but I feel like it'll be out performed even before its released by cars that are currently out (STI, EVO, etc)

"But hey, its got the better interior"

Plus, I'd be skeptical if it could last beyond 100K

Bender1

Banned
I'd agree with this.....but is this what people say about Civic Type Rs?
Absolutely, it's an enthusiast car. I think many of us could justify it, but we are not nearly a large enough of the population to allow even acceptable sales for a low production vehicle (if your goal is to be the biggest manufacture in the world). Layer on top of that how many people on here could actually afford it? You are putting your dealerships in a tough position to move them. That said, it could be considered a Halo car for the VW line and probably does drive base Golf sales.

Its funny though, VW doesn't seem to WANT enthusiasts anymore but they still build a car only they would buy. I don't get what is going through heads in Wolfsburg and Herndon.

I don't know. This car certainly has a lot of toe curling aura behind it, I just don't think it'll deliver the "absolute", you know? The front certainly is an eye catcher, but I feel like it'll be out performed even before its released by cars that are currently out (STI, EVO, etc)

"But hey, its got the better interior"

Plus, I'd be skeptical if it could last beyond 100K

Agreed. I really want to want to buy another VW but as of today I have no trust in VW.

Bender1

Banned
ive said it once and ill say it again, this makes me feel like BMW et al are a fucking scam. Its a BMW. it should come with that shit standard. its absurd all that stuff are part of these silly option packages.. thats why all you have to do is wait like a year and start combing the early lease returns. buy a new 3 for 50k with all the goodies or wait 12-18 months for one to pop up on the dealer lot, CPO, with 12k miles on it for $37.5. happens all the time.

A fool and his money...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
careful... folks round these parts are going to start questioning your manhood if you even talk about how much a car costs. you're only a true enthusiast if you are willing to pay $40000 for a Golf. that means you're serious. my GTI was 22.5k, had less than 10k miles on it CPO when i bought it. sunroof/convenience pkg, rubber mats, etc. even 30k for a GTI seems silly to me. im guilty of mexico uncertainty as well.. its probably unfounded but i have prejudices from music gear: guitars, etc.. never as good from mexico as from the US.

ive said it once and ill say it again, this makes me feel like BMW et al are a fucking scam. Its a BMW. it should come with that shit standard. its absurd all that stuff are part of these silly option packages.. thats why all you have to do is wait like a year and start combing the early lease returns. buy a new 3 for 50k with all the goodies or wait 12-18 months for one to pop up on the dealer lot, CPO, with 12k miles on it for $37.5. happens all the time.

Yeah man, I really don't understand why it's such a travesty to pay $35k for a Golf that has 260 HP, AWD, leather, etc. but it's totally cool to pay $40k for a 320i with 180 horsepowah and vinyl seats... Gimme a break, is a badge really worth +/-$10k? I guess to most people it is. Honestly, a Golf R is a nicer place to be than a 320i, it's performance is way better, it's around the same size... and it's cheaper with more options. I spent a few minutes building cars on BMWs site a while back, and I really never realized what a ripoff they are, the lower end models have the same feature set as like a $24k Accord Sport.

As for the music gear from Mexico being crappier, that's just because it's way cheaper. It's all about the design, manufacturing process, etc. like Grambles is always preaching. I promise you that if you stroll into the Fender factory in CA, there's tons of Mexicans building guitars. But since they're twice as expensive, they get better materials and builds. Plain and simple. Whether or not Mexican made VWs are any good has everything to do with their bean counters and engineers in Germany, the USA, or wherever else those folks work.

Bender1

Banned
Yeah man, I really don't understand why it's such a travesty to pay $35k for a Golf that has 260 HP, AWD, leather, etc. but it's totally cool to pay $40k for a 320i with 180 horsepowah and vinyl seats... Gimme a break, is a badge really worth +/-$10k? I guess to most people it is.

Most people are not car enthusiasts.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yep. What Bender said. 95/5 Rule....if even that.

GO up to any random joe schmo on a lot and start talking about performance comparisons of the like. They'll look at you like you are crazy. People buy the name and never really car about TRUE quantitative comparisons and then negate any loss of value or financial decisions during the purchase.

People buy with emotion.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
People buy cars based on how it makes them feel. Most people don't care about HP/Tq. aside from water cooler bragging rights about their $50k F-150 or whatever.

Exactly. Get out of my head Merkle. :D

A lot has to do with how the car drives to the end user. Compare a Ridgeline to a Tundra and you'll see no reason why my dad chose the Ridgeline over the Tundra based off the spec sheet. However, he fell in love with the Ridgeline after he drove both of them back to back.

Is this an all new Haldex system?

Research the S3....I believe they mentioned it had a new Haldex so I'd assume so.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Most people are not car enthusiasts.

I mean I get that, but it boggles my mind that these non-enthusiasts pay $38k for a 320i with vinyl and no features when they could get a really nice Fusion, 6 or Accord for $10k less.

I guess most people are "image enthusiasts."

Merkle

Banned
Exactly. Get out of my head Merkle. :D

A lot has to do with how the car drives to the end user. Compare a Ridgeline to a Tundra and you'll see no reason why my dad chose the Ridgeline over the Tundra based off the spec sheet. However, he fell in love with the Ridgeline after he drove both of them back to back.

Research the S3....I believe they mentioned it had a new Haldex so I'd assume so.

True, most people don't know the difference in ride quality from an airplane to an airboat though. All new cars to then drive the same. What gets me is how things I would consider trivial are so important to others. I have heard of people not buying a car because the gauge needles were red, and they wanted blue ones. :rolleyes:

I'll search the S3, god I should have know that, I'm such a newb.

Merkle

Banned
I mean I get that, but it boggles my mind that these non-enthusiasts pay $38k for a 320i with vinyl and no features when they could get a really nice Fusion, 6 or Accord for $10k less.

Fact of the matter is not many people know what's out there. They're ignorant on the modern automobile market.

Bender1

Banned

Absolutely. Loads of totally base BMWs in the lot at my office...

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/08/20/official-2014-volkswagen-golf-r/

One thing I wonder does the new golf R have a revoknuckle type setup in the front?
The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R then features a new sports suspension setup individually tuned to the new car. Compared to the regular Golf, the new Golf R sits 20mm lower, thus making it a further 5mm lower compared to the GTI. Helping to deliver optimal handling in the new Volkswagen Golf R is a MacPherson-type front spring strut with a newly developed low wishbone and track-stabilising scrub radius.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
The general and semi-sport minded public:

Style, (image), price point, interior appointments/creature comforts, electronic technology (radio/streaming/wifi), , gas mileage, reliability,mfg reputation and reasonable/pretty quick performance.