GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insults to your GTI

Spudee

Only had mine for just over a week and so far no insults. But on day 2 I had a massive compliment. I took my red 2011 DSG Gti to one of my best mate's house down here in Oz (Australia). So, we go for a nice run (hills, lovely bends, long straights, all in a rural area). I then let him jump behind the wheel and he is mightily impressed with lots of 'whoaaa's etc. When we get back to his place he gets out, looks at the Gti, shakes his head and says 'that little mother can really fly!'

As I'm about to leave he casually asks if I would like to see his new ride? I was pretty surprised because I knew what he drove and how much he loved it. Anyway, into his barn-sized garage and parked there was a new, Aston Martin Vantage n420 coupe, in lightning silver! OMG!!!! He had traded in his 2008 Vantage on this beautiful beast. But the thing is that even after taking me for a spin in the 7 litre V8 monster, he was still going on about my Golf. What a day!

Spike Warrior

Passed Driver's Ed
No insults so far.

Fact is, I am the only person I know that own's a VW, much less a GTI. VW's are fairly common in my area (Jetta's all over) but I only know of 4 GTI's and I am one of them. I would even say that, as far as the people around me, the GTI is so "foreign" to them, they don't have anything to say.

Compliments so far....

One who drives a G37 coupe was impressed.
One who never saw a GTI before was practically blown away, and is comtemplating a Golf TDI now.

Old wrench from the muscle car days back in the 60's. He was familiar with the old Beetles, and proclaimed in a very amazed manner "Man, this is a VW?"

:thumbup:

Last edited:

SKRIMP

quite honestly i've gotten mostly compliments. the worse comment i've gotten was "why did you do that to your seats?", as they thought it was an interior mod haha.

Ma bell

Passed Driver's Ed
I used to have a Honda S2000 and on those forums we had a similar thread. One of the worst comments I received on that car came from my younger sister. I overheard her telling a friend that I bought a new...

Civic convertible!

:cry:

I had an S2k and a girl I worked with once told me I had a nice Miata.

65Strad

Ready to race!
I was getting some body work on my Explorer and when picking the wife up, the bodyshop owner came out and really looked it over and said, really a beautiful piece of machinery, nice materials and detail. Amazing that everything's stock. When I told him it's the base model, he was very surprised.

Mk6Chick1

Ready to race!
At a stoplight:
Ricer(in the left lane): "Mami that's a perfect car for you, its so cute. When you want a ride in a better car, I'll take you for a ride.". (Honda with fart can and all)

Light turns green.

Next stoplight: (after waiting for a few seconds for him to catch up)
Me: "When you can keep up with me then I'll take you for a ride bitch.". (bone stock GTI with MT)

I hate boys who don't think girls can drive fast cars.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ainv4p

gyaeger

Passed Driver's Ed
I had friend say "Wow, that engine is tiny". But if it came down to it, I'd beat him to the gas station, and then spend half the amount filling up. So, whatever haha.

Shockwave1

Passed Driver's Ed
It seems to me that a lot of these posted "insults" are comments that were meant to complimentary by others ignorant of VWs... not true insults.

When you take someone's ignorance as an insult you're setting yourself up for a very frustrating life.

If you don't have the time, just thank them and move on. If you have the time, it's an opportunity to educate someone about a topic you're passionate about.... it doesn't get much better than that!

You make a good point.

A week after buying my GTI, I stopped by Starbucks after work. On my way out while getting in my car, a guy parked next to me on a Harley says to me "that's a really cute car, I might buy one for my daughter". I immediately thought he was f#cking with me, so I said to him "that's a nice bike, did your boyfriend buy it for you". Needless to say, he told me to go f@ck myself.

A few days later I see the same guy pull up in a brand new Beetle. I felt like an ass, and ended up apologizing to him.

BangMangler

Ready to race!
I had friend say "Wow, that engine is tiny". But if it came down to it, I'd beat him to the gas station, and then spend half the amount filling up. So, whatever haha.

It's a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine. It's not going to be big. It reduces weight and keeps great fuel economy. Some people don't understand turbochargers at all.

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
No insults yet at all (2 wks of ownership with my first GTI). On the way home from the dealership, about 8pm or so, My wife and I stopped at a gas station because the kid REALLY had to go to the bathroom. While I was waiting for them to come out, a 63 year old dude came out and started talking to me about it. Didn't know much about modern engines and such, but was very impressed with everything I told him and he was reminiscing about his old 'cuda. Bottom line he really liked my car and gave me lots of compliments. After he took off, I started to wonder if he was hitting on me though...

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
1) Co-worker called me a ricer when I was bone stock. However, this idiot doesn't know shit about cars. And he's a hater who can't get laid. Angry, bitter little man.

2) Some middle aged woman called my car "adorable". Not particularly an insult, but definitely the weirdest comment I've gotten on the car.