GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the Platinum Extended Warranty worth it?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
warranties like this are generally a scam the dealership uses to suck more money out of morons, most people do not typically keep a car for more than 5 years and these warranties play upon everyone's desire to be content for longer than they usually are. Keep in mind this warranty will likely not transfer to the new owner and if it does it will not mean a damn thing come trade in time.

If you are willing to pay for your insecurities then go for it, generally you're better suited without it.

Don't be so soon to speak. I plan on keeping this car for 5+ years why wouldn't I. Considering how fragile(?) VW's are I think it's a good idea to get the warranty. As for transferring the warranty iirc it will work.

I can always give it up and get my cash back before the warranty kicks in though. There's also a prorated one that states if you don't use it for anything they will refund you back the amount you paid for the warranty.

McQueen77

Banned
How much did you guys pay for your platinum warranty? I paid around 2k.

Jesus man.. You could have put that 2k and them some in a five year CD and made some money off it rather than buy a warranty you prob wont use. And guess what, you paid sales tax on the total cost of your car plus fees plus the added 2k warranty, thus driving up the overall cost. In economic terms, your platinum warranty will most likely be a sunk cost

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Jesus man.. You could have put that 2k and them some in a five year CD and made some money off it rather than buy a warranty you prob wont use. And guess what, you paid sales tax on the total cost of your car plus fees plus the added 2k warranty, thus driving up the overall cost. In economic terms, your platinum warranty will most likely be a sunk cost

Sighh I never thought about the tax on that warranty. Even if I cancel it today all I will get is the purchase price of the warranty so I will still be at a loss for the tax.

Artagain

Negotiate. Everything's negotiable. After some bickering, I only paid half of what they wanted for both the warranty and LoJack.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Negotiate. Everything's negotiable. After some bickering, I only paid half of what they wanted for both the warranty and LoJack.

Dam it I had a hunch it was negotiable but, didn't bother :cry:

Brian@PuenteHillsVW

Ready to race!
Sighh I never thought about the tax on that warranty. Even if I cancel it today all I will get is the purchase price of the warranty so I will still be at a loss for the tax.

There is no tax on warranty. If you cancel within 30 days without use you should get 100% back. But more than likely if you go in to cancel, they will offer you a discount on it making it a better deal for you.

Jmna's VW extended service contracts help a lot. You should hear some people in service department almost in tears from the bills they get from service. Yes $120/HR labor for german car quality!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
There is no tax on warranty.

Jmna's VW extended service contracts help a lot. You should hear some people in service department almost in tears from the bills they get from service. Yes $120/HR labor for german car quality!

Glad to have a dealer chime in!

Just out of curiosity iirc my dealer said I can cancel the platinum warranty any time before it kicks in. How would I go about doing that if I were to change my mind? What scares me is some people on Vortex say it doesn't cover the DSG b/c the platinum warranty is actually done via fidelity.

Brian@PuenteHillsVW

Ready to race!
Glad to have a dealer chime in!

Just out of curiosity iirc my dealer said I can cancel the platinum warranty any time before it kicks in. How would I go about doing that if I were to change my mind? What scares me is some people on Vortex say it doesn't cover the DSG b/c the platinum warranty is actually done via fidelity.

The platinum covers "Almost all assemblies of your vehicle." They can't say all assemblies because that would include wear and tear items.

The DSG's are pretty solid. I wouldn't worry about one blowing up. I would rather buy the service contract to cover myself on other major parts. Here is the list of what is covered on which plan.

If you still did want to cancel, you just call the dealer and talk to the finance department (the person that printed the paperwork and had you sign it all)

McQueen77

Banned
There is no tax on warranty. If you cancel within 30 days without use you should get 100% back. But more than likely if you go in to cancel, they will offer you a discount on it making it a better deal for you.

dude you work at a dealer and you're biased, come on now. its just not possible for you to be neutral on this one. warranty factors in with the total cost, so adding two grand to the final cost, the cost OTD, is something to think about. pretty soon that car that was $25.5k ends up being close to thirty grand when alls said and done..

Brian@PuenteHillsVW

Ready to race!
dude you work at a dealer and you're biased, come on now. its just not possible for you to be neutral on this one. warranty factors in with the total cost, so adding two grand to the final cost, the cost OTD, is something to think about. pretty soon that car that was $25.5k ends up being close to thirty grand when alls said and done..

Not biased at all. I hate to spend money I could have avoided just as much as you. Warranties are sleep better programs. Sure, don't buy one, just hope your car starts 3 years and 1 day into owning it. It's a machine. It breaks. It can't be that hard to see value in being covered.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Not biased at all. I hate to spend money I could have avoided just as much as you. Warranties are sleep better programs. Sure, don't buy one, just hope your car starts 3 years and 1 day into owning it. It's a machine. It breaks. It can't be that hard to see value in being covered.

I agree with you one or two major issues and the warranty will have paid itself off. The only thing that bugs me is the huge price differentiation people are paying. It's dare I say unfair.

Brian@PuenteHillsVW

Ready to race!
I agree with you one or two major issues and the warranty will have paid itself off. The only thing that bugs me is the huge price differentiation people are paying. It's dare I say unfair.

Yes, 100% I get that. Just like people pay different prices for the same exact car. It's business?? :iono: