GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the Platinum Extended Warranty worth it?

pgard1

Ready to race!
Per my service contract, PPC covers ONLY the following:

1 set of brake pads
1 battery replacement
unlimited headlamp replacement NOT due to impact damage
Belts and Hoses replacement
1 set of wiper blades
unlimited fuses and bulb replacements
1 wheel alignment
diagnostics related to a covered repair
fluids associated with covered repair
rental car coverage due to repair covered under manufacturers warranty
Drivers ONEcard membership

I chose the 48mth/60,000mi warranty which raised my monthly car payment by $9. I live in AZ, so I know that a battery replacement is GOING to happen. A set of pads will also most likely be in my future as well. Other than that, I am not expecting I will use any other pieces of this warranty. Is it worth it? Probably not since the cost of the warranty is pretty close to the cost of repairs/replacements that are covered under this warranty. You are just paying up front for repairs/replacements that you may/may not incur.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I honestly just care for coverage of things I'm not looking to modify.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

McQueen77

Banned
Not biased at all. I hate to spend money I could have avoided just as much as you. Warranties are sleep better programs. Sure, don't buy one, just hope your car starts 3 years and 1 day into owning it. It's a machine. It breaks. It can't be that hard to see value in being covered.

if it doesnt start, its most likely powertrain related and thus covered until 5 yrs/60k. a lot of these guys get the platinum warranty and realize 50k miles in that they dont want the car until 100k miles, so then they try to sell it using the warranty as an upsell to the buyer.. bottom line is, which no one has mentioned yet, that most of these extended warranties dealers sell are via a 3rd party, and these same 3rd parties are the ones who start sending you mail around the time your original factory warranty is going to expire hoping you'll buy an extended. MEANING: it is utterly pointless to buy an extended warranty the day you buy your brand new car since you have the chance to buy an extended warranty, that covers all the same shit, years down the line. ive gotten countless mail recently from various companies offering to sell me extended warranties on the GTI, including my credit union. if it doesn't even kick in until 3 years down the line, why on earth would you buy it the day you are, most likely, FINANCING your new car so you can then also pay interest on your extended warranty.

but dealers prey on new car buyers who are tripping balls that they just made such a massive purchase, leading them to believe that they may somehow be out of luck if they don't tack on the cost of the extended warranty before leaving with their new car. its just simply not true. the last thing you should be thinking about/worrying about/paying for when you drive off in your car with 2 miles on the odometer is how it might have problems YEARS from that point in time. its ridiculous.

dealer pedaled warranties are a scam, plain and simple. a scam.

Brian@PuenteHillsVW

Ready to race!
Amazing how I see this "scam" help people everyday in service that would normally have a bill to fork up the cash for but walk out without spending a dime. Some scam..

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Amazing how I see this "scam" help people everyday in service that would normally have a bill to fork up the cash for but walk out without spending a dime. Some scam..

If you plan on keeping the car stock, the extended warranty MIGHT be worth it depending on the driver, whether or not the car is a primary vehicle, and whether or not you trust the shops to do the work.

However if your on these forums, most likely you will be modifying these vehicles and after seeing the horror stories of people being denied warranty work due to said modifications i feel it is not worth the hassle. The blanket statement being at dealerships "xx mod caused the issue" without even investigating the problem...

I understand VW is a business and being a business you have to make money. But we the consumer have the power, we keep manufacturers in business, I would only consider purchasing an extended warranty once vw stops making a blanket policy of kicking modded vehicle owners to the curb.

McQueen77

Banned

Great but you ignore my key points which are valid. Anyone can buy an extended warranty at anytime between when they buy the car and when their original warranty runs out. Buying it at the dealer and rolling it into the car purchase, especially if financing, which most people do, is just foolish. Not to mention, youre on an enthusiast forum where most of us mod their cars in which case the extended warranty wouldnt do much good...

Bottom line is that your signature and presence on this forum is obviously to try and drive business to your dealership so GTFO

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Great but you ignore my key points which are valid. Anyone can buy an extended warranty at anytime between when they buy the car and when their original warranty runs out. Buying it at the dealer and rolling it into the car purchase, especially if financing, which most people do, is just foolish. Not to mention, youre on an enthusiast forum where most of us mod their cars in which case the extended warranty wouldnt do much good...

Bottom line is that your signature and presence on this forum is obviously to try and drive business to your dealership so GTFO

I dont think he is on here to purely drive business, while he has some stake in trying to drive business he does have a valid point, and so do you.

jda

Passed Driver's Ed
Geico also offer major mechanical break down insurance and it's much cheaper than extended warranty. It's $64/year for my 2013 R and it covers 7year/100k miles. The only catch is that the deductible is $250/item (not per claim) so if two things break, you'll need to pay $500.