GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 - Pushing Oil

soldier0829

Ready to race!
Is it common to push oil with the K04? After my last track day I noticed a film of motor oil had accumulated on the intercooler plumbing, crankcase, TOP, etc. I can't find an obvious leak anywhere.

GP813

Ready to race!
No that's not common. Might need to investigate that even more.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Sub'd - I noticed the same after my first week of K04 hard driving. Was thinking it was just residual PB blaster... No obvious leak here either, but now I'm concerned.

Maybe just be a hose clamp not tight enough somewhere??

Will get back under there in a day or so to see if its recurring

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I too am experiencing this same problem. There is oil residue around the coupler that goes to my AWE TOP pipe and around the DV as well as the oil return line. I dont know which one of these is causing the seeping oil leak..

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I too am experiencing this same problem. There is oil residue around the coupler that goes to my AWE TOP pipe and around the DV as well as the oil return line. I dont know which one of these is causing the seeping oil leak..

I'm wondering if the gasket on the oil return line on the bottom of the turbo has a specific orientation to be effective. It's the only part of the install I was unsure about, and only thing I can think of where oil could come from in that area.

You can see my gasket orientation here... the small clips are facing the ground, and on the driver side of the line, indicated by red arrows because it's a bit hard to see. Looking closely at similar pics in the DIY, I don't see those clips; so I think I have it upside down.

CIMG2249.jpeg

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I'm wondering if the gasket on the oil return line on the bottom of the turbo has a specific orientation to be effective. It's the only part of the install I was unsure about, and only thing I can think of where oil could come from in that area.

I actually bought an extra gasket for the oil return line but have not had time to install it. It was a couple bucks at the dealership.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the advice, post if you find out!

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
EDIT/UPDATE

Advice from Grambles regarding the gasket orientation
Face it towards the cartridge. Not the line.

Follow up advice from 2013R, who's gasket also "faces the line" like mine:
The silicone elbow always leaks/seeps. You need it as tight as you can, and that won't happen with a screwdriver. You need a socket, but don't rip it.

I have about 200 miles of driving to do tomorrow afternoon - I'm going to get up early and do both these things and clean up all the residual, drive it hard on the trip, and then recheck on Wednesday to see if it resolves the issue

Last edited:

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
EDIT/UPDATE

Advice from Grambles regarding the gasket orientation

Follow up advice from 2013R, who's gasket also "faces the line" like mine:

I have about 200 miles of driving to do tomorrow afternoon - I'm going to get up early and do both these things and clean up all the residual, drive it hard on the trip, and then recheck on Wednesday to see if it resolves the issue

Great information, Keep us updated man! Thanks for the help everyone. :thumbsup:

03boostedGTi

Ready to race!
when i went k04 ive noticed build up of oil around the valve cover gasket,
im in for someone to see if replacing the gasket will fix or not.
rather not do this if its for nothing :yikes:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
These cars aren't well known for ringland issues but I pushed my stage 1 on 100 octane on the track and ruined the in line filter to my boost gauge within 20 laps. It was dead clean before I started. There was oil all over the engine bay.

butchered by autocorrect

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Yep - it was the elbow hose coming out of the turbo connecting to the TOP. Oil seepage, and a little more residue all around the DV, IC plumbing, and block in that area.

I snugged the clamp down with a 1/4" driver, and quickly realized it wasn't all that snug after a screw driver at all.

I tightened down the end connecting to my TOP too, but there wasn't any oil there anyway... Just for good measure.

update Here's a picture... you can see the glossy areas where there's oil residue. This is two days after cleaning it all up to see where it was coming from.
CIMG2256.jpeg

You can't see it clearly in the picture, but I could plainly see the oil seeping out where the hose connects to the turbo outlet.

There was no dripping or oil anywhere near the oil return line, and since I couldn't find my 3/8" wobbly driver, I left it alone for now. I'll replace that gasket next time I'm under there.

Last edited:

soldier0829

Ready to race!
What about clogged or bad crankcase breather valve?