GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mikejsmith1985: 2012 GTI Autobahn

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
My new battery is insane!

I have no idea how this is going to power my car lol!

This is my oldest daughter Avril holding the battery. She just turned 3 in October.

Some may notice her right hand some may not she does have a limb difference and I'm proud to say that it doesn't slow her down one bit! I encourage people to ask questions if they have any :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
it was a good price, but they came around Christmas time, so I didn't have the money. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Yeah, I jumped on it and didn't even read to see if anyone else had made an offer lol. So I do apologize that I sort of swooped in especially after all of your help with trying to locate a battery for me!

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I jumped on it and didn't even read to see if anyone else had made an offer lol. So I do apologize that I sort of swooped in especially after all of your help with trying to locate a battery for me!

Ah man I'm just kidding. You will probably put them to better use than I will. You didn't swoop in. no worries.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Sneak peak of my battery setup, I need to make a couple adjustments for better fit of the battery base. I'm still working on how to do the top and the battery tie down. I'm going for something as clean as OEM but we'll see where we end up [emoji4]

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I got my coilovers delivered this week I'll take better pics when I'm ready for install.

The bubble flare tool will be here today so I can complete the plumbing for the Touareg components.

Parts for my 3D printer are due here tomorrow so hopefully by the end of Day Sunday I can have the car back together and take it out on the street.

Ultimately it will depend on what I have to do to make the brake light switch work though.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Shared most of these pics in the MC Swap thread but here is the current battery tray.

I'm working on some finishing touches still. I used a patch of velcro rated at 15lbs hold strength to hold the battery to the bottom of the tray as added insurance and I honestly don't think that it needs anything else. I'm sure legally it's a whole mother story but I had a very hard time removing the battery from the box after.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
That battery project came out nice! Its so small LOL. Maybe I'll look into a smaller battery like this next time I need to replace mine.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Do you think you ciould something similar with the small battery box you created, but then house it inside the stock box? That way everything looks OEM.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Do you think you ciould something similar with the small battery box you created, but then house it inside the stock box? That way everything looks OEM.

In my case I can't because the Touareg brake booster is larger and the sole reason I moved from the OEM battery to a small form factor battery. If you are looking for something like this for an install shoot me a PM and I can work with you on a solution.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Headed to pick this up to make sure I have enough accessory power to run the VCDS bleed process today.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
That battery project came out nice! Its so small LOL. Maybe I'll look into a smaller battery like this next time I need to replace mine.

I think I'm finished with the battery install!

Only other thing that may happen is a cover for the negative terminal too but I think this looks more "OEM" I don't feel like cars that have terminal covers use one on the ground terminal.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Merry Christmas everyone!

A quick update: I've been posting play by plays but I've bled my brakes like crazy and although they actually work really well I identified a failed booster and a very small fluid leak. New booster is on its way. Suspension is still planned for this Christmas break although I'm way behind schedule. Hopefully Monday I can share thoughts on the mFactory suspension install.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I gotta inquire more about this battery... any slow starts? I see that youre in ohio too. I am seriously interested in doing something like this for weight reduction