GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My APR K04 install,experience

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Whoever said it was BS? I'm gonna let it be...since there are people out there that can't seem to think outside the box, including yourself.

No need to let it be. The OP of the thread really want's to know as well, so you aren't stepping on his toes at all. We are all hear to learn. Trust me, nobody has a closed mind, we just don't know what you have in mind. :iono:

The whole idea of forums and communities is to share ideas, not to sit back and act all condescending. Please share — we know you have it in you. :thumbsup:

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Greg, what happened to your original K03? Did the installer give you credit for it?

Also, keep us updated when you take your GTI in for regular VW service. I've always wondered if you would have any problems getting dealer service with a non-stock K04.

Thanks.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
yes, i have my original k03. i plan on selling the k04 when i go back to stock along with the dp intercooler intake, unless I can transer them to my next car. I've only had the gti for 4 months, so it won't be for a long while (hopefully haha). I traditionally don't go to the dealership for service. Even oil changes I go to the performance shop so I can get a good synthetic every 3k. The only way i'll go to the vw dealership is if there's a warranty issue that I can get worked on.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
No need to let it be. The OP of the thread really want's to know as well, so you aren't stepping on his toes at all. We are all hear to learn. Trust me, nobody has a closed mind, we just don't know what you have in mind. :iono:

The whole idea of forums and communities is to share ideas, not to sit back and act all condescending. Please share — we know you have it in you. :thumbsup:

Well, that's good to know. I'm hear to learn as well and contribute as much as I can whenever possible. I'm just speaking from experience. I am definitely no noob when it comes to turbo setups. In my old Civic setup, I was able to "muster" 379HP/291TQ on 18psi of boost (tuned with Hondata S200B)... on a 1.8L NON-VTEC motor and leaking turbo (bad seal). I was running a PTE SC61 turbo, custom intercooler piping, 3" CBE, ACT clutch, HKS SSQV, PWR fmic, Delphi 880cc injectors, iron-sleeved block, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, etc. I worked on the entire setup (with my cousin's help) with the exception of the tune and sleeving of the block. I was able to acquire this setup a few items at time but the end result was really rewarding.

Honestly, I find it ironic when someone mentions different setups and people are quick to judge. There are more options than just A,B,C and D. With the setup I had, I could have just purchased a "turbo kit" but that was never my forte'. I like to work on my own cars because I take pride in what I do....and save money by doing the work myself. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same with my GTI. My "sig" literally says who I am.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Then yeah you could do all the work yourself. But the custom tune will still be close to a thousand if not more.

bvlgari

Ready to race!
How often the car need to go for service if you are on k04?

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
Well, that's good to know. I'm hear to learn as well and contribute as much as I can whenever possible. I'm just speaking from experience. I am definitely no noob when it comes to turbo setups. In my old Civic setup, I was able to "muster" 379HP/291TQ on 18psi of boost (tuned with Hondata S200B)... on a 1.8L NON-VTEC motor and leaking turbo (bad seal). I was running a PTE SC61 turbo, custom intercooler piping, 3" CBE, ACT clutch, HKS SSQV, PWR fmic, Delphi 880cc injectors, iron-sleeved block, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, etc. I worked on the entire setup (with my cousin's help) with the exception of the tune and sleeving of the block. I was able to acquire this setup a few items at time but the end result was really rewarding.

Honestly, I find it ironic when someone mentions different setups and people are quick to judge. There are more options than just A,B,C and D. With the setup I had, I could have just purchased a "turbo kit" but that was never my forte'. I like to work on my own cars because I take pride in what I do....and save money by doing the work myself. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same with my GTI. My "sig" literally says who I am.

Ok, so what's your point? A lot of have experience with turbo setups outside of VW. I also had a nice setup with my Integra GSR, and s2000. Now knowing that you do have knowledge in the turbo world, it's even more shocking that you think you can get a nice setup, that's FACTORY RELIABLE for $2,400 shipped. So I spent $1,300 on install, and since you can DIY, that brings the price down to $4,200. If you want to use a cheaper solution, you can go with the stock S3 intercooler and not get the TOP and shave off another $800. So that brings it down to $3,600. People on here do think outside the box and try different things, I just chose to go with the best solutions that are available and paid a premium for them. I also know my car is going to work and is backed by people that work on these cars 24/7. Even still, your honda setup didn't cost less than $2,500, nor would I think you can find any kit for $2,500....

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
I ask this in another thread but apparently he does not want to answer my question so i'll ask you.

Did you let the K04 break in before you got on it????????

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I ask this in another thread but apparently he does not want to answer my question so i'll ask you.

Did you let the K04 break in before you got on it????????

Hey, nope, I just went to town on it. Maybe there is a break in period, I'm not sure, but i've never heard of one. However, I would say that I had the turbo installed and ran it on stock software for about 250 miles. There was a bit of a mixup, and there wasn't a tune available for the 2012 k04 with my specific ecu model. So, I was running stock boost, which i guess is a break-in. It wasn't on purpose though :)

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
I installed the K04 myself and had it in stock mode for about 150 miles till i got it tuned, he said to leave it in stock mode till about 750 miles to break in the turbo.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion

I would love to see somebody do a fully custom and cheaper than off the shelf solution. The biggest problem, as everybody keeps saying, is getting it tuned. Do you know of a vendor that will custom tune your VW ECU to your custom setup for a reasonable fee?

It seems that's the hurdle to doing it for the same price, let alone cheaper. I've never seen an answer to this, so I have no idea. :iono:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so what's your point? A lot of have experience with turbo setups outside of VW. I also had a nice setup with my Integra GSR, and s2000. Now knowing that you do have knowledge in the turbo world, it's even more shocking that you think you can get a nice setup, that's FACTORY RELIABLE for $2,400 shipped. So I spent $1,300 on install, and since you can DIY, that brings the price down to $4,200. If you want to use a cheaper solution, you can go with the stock S3 intercooler and not get the TOP and shave off another $800. So that brings it down to $3,600. People on here do think outside the box and try different things, I just chose to go with the best solutions that are available and paid a premium for them. I also know my car is going to work and is backed by people that work on these cars 24/7. Even still, your honda setup didn't cost less than $2,500, nor would I think you can find any kit for $2,500....

I'm just clarifying my point.....that this isn't my first turbocharged vehicle. From what you paid, I'm sure you're happy with the results. If you're satisfied with your K04 setup....good for you. To each, their own.

I would love to see somebody do a fully custom and cheaper than off the shelf solution. The biggest problem, as everybody keeps saying, is getting it tuned. Do you know of a vendor that will custom tune your VW ECU to your custom setup for a reasonable fee?
It seems that's the hurdle to doing it for the same price, let alone cheaper. I've never seen an answer to this, so I have no idea. :iono:

When I get to that point, I'll make sure to document it for anyone that may be interested. Thanks for comprehending what I'm trying to get at.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
^^^^ what I think you are missing, and what others are trying to say, is that it's just not feasable to do. You have no point, because you aren't showing what your point is. It's like me saying " I wish I could have 700 hp for $2,500." Now because that's my said "point" i don't have to prove to you how i'm going to get that accomplished. Even in honda world, you can't piece together a kit for $2,500 that would be reliable and fast. You can go stage 2 on the gti for ~$900, which is great gains for the money, but it's still ~100 hp less than k04.

You realize that you are frustrating people because you are saying one thing, but you fail to produce any evidence of its feasibility. Everyone gets what you are saying, but unless you can prove that its possible, you are just being ignorant.