GOLFMKV

My modest build

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Ecs Tuning Carbon Fiber Hood installed!

IMG_20170224_184452345.jpg

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I have been meaning to take the time and post my thoughts on my recent big purchases on the car; namely the carbon fiber hood and my Bride Vios III racing seat.

Philosophically I do not see much need in playing the "more power" game with the car. The drive train feels maxed out for my liking. Now i know alot of people disagree with me and there are numerous big turbo builds on this forum; but for the style of driving I do (track days and canyon runs) more power is seldom the answer. I actually thing the k04 on the low output tune more than suffices this arena.

So what then? Well... weight. The whole point of my build in the first place (see opening paragraph on post #1) is remedying all the various issues i have with the car. Weight as always been one. There is no reason for 2dr hatch to weigh 3200 lbs... Thats crazy to me. So here and there in the build i have begun to attack that. Tool/spare removal, lightweight exhaust, rear seat delete, eurokreations kit to clean up the look, BBK etc.

That brings us to my recent additions

Carbon fiber hood

There were alot of options in this regard. Alot of people go seibon because it is a tried and true company that makes a great product. I was turned off by the fact that they require hood pins. Now hood pins will go into my current setup; but only as redundancy. The ECS Tuning CF hood retains the OEM latch making it a little more secure than most hoods on the market. So i went that route.

The packaging, fitment and look are superb. Really quite impressive and beyond what i expected. ECS' website says some trim required for windshield wiper sprayers and hood stops... thats a bit of an understatement... you have to drill holes :/

Overall im happy. The product is crazy light when compared to the OEM hood. ECS boasts a 21lb weight reduction and it certainly feels it.

17796516_10104832253043055_5320001676373448928_n.jpg

Next...

Racing Seat

I looked for a lonnnnngggg time for a good racing seat; Braum, Corbeau, Sparco, Bride... you name it i looked at it...

The goal here was two fold... support and weight reduction; comfort is a distant third. I personally dont mind being a bit more rigid if the former two are being appropriately satisfied.

After much looking and thought I landed on a seat/mount setup being sold by another forum member for a real excellent price.

Bride Vios III with sparco side mounts

17757563_10104830651213135_491864651761951955_n.jpg
17626374_10104830651223115_5152042542256667424_n.jpg

There is no question the OEM cloth seats/mounts weight in excess of 50lbs... extremely heavy... The Bride/sparco setup is just over 19lbs. Huge savings in weight. The fit is snug but comfortable for a man with a 31inch waist... any more than that and its goifng to be a bit tough for long rides. Of course i have an airbag light from disconnecting the OEM seat airbag but no great drama as a resistor option is being worked out. Ultimately the swap only takes 20min so for inspection/road trips im not put out too bad.

also its bride... so style points?

Either way with the two recent additions in weight reduction I am now offically under 2800lbs. I have yet to make it back to weigh station to confirm but will do so soon. Power to weight ration (on 93oct/crank hp) is right around 7.6 vs 8.5 at OEM weigh.

This takes me from being competitive with a Camaro SS to a Camaro ZL1. Not to mention gains in efficiency, clutch life, tread life; all the while keeping road noise down and comfort available.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to make my direction clear :)

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Great info on the carbon hood, thanks! :w00t: I will be getting one sooner or later and was wondering about the windshield wiper water fitment which you pointed out.
Now you have me thinking about upgrading my seat as well. :bonk:

Did you swap out your battery for a lighter version? More weight savings to deduct :D

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Great info on the carbon hood, thanks! :w00t: I will be getting one sooner or later and was wondering about the windshield wiper water fitment which you pointed out.
Now you have me thinking about upgrading my seat as well. :bonk:

Did you swap out your battery for a lighter version? More weight savings to deduct :D

I swapped one that is only 8lbs lighter. Didn't want to go too small until some more information is out

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Excellant man, been following for awhile, should be done with power modifications in the next year, then continuing to lighten the car will be my path as well! There is hope for these MK6 piggies

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Excellant man, been following for awhile, should be done with power modifications in the next year, then continuing to lighten the car will be my path as well! There is hope for these MK6 piggies

Nice dude! And thanks!

Also yea I've always been annoyed by all the excess weight :/

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So thanks to HYDEs write up I got my airbag light off and i have no codes.

Also cloth seat weighs 49.6lbs and my Bride seat and mount weighs 19.5lbs. 30lbs is more than i saved on my hood!

not too shabby