GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New head unit

cobie56

Ready to race!
I posted here a few weeks back about aftermarket head units and recieved a number of responses. Thanks. I settled on a pioneer 8200nex and it sucks. Horrible reception as compared to vw oem radio. I went with the pioneer based on recommendations and reviews and am very unsatisfied with it so am returning it to crutchfield.

This time i have a question about oem head units.

Can i install and/or are there oem vw head units available, that will fit a '14 gti like mine but that are better than my RNS315 unit? Maybe even one that supports car play?

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thnx

Uberryan

Banned
I was always partial to the RNS-310 I think it was, or 510, but I really like the units in the MK7s. Doubt they'd fit though.

cobie56

Ready to race!
Like, radio reception, or Sat Radio reception? Or both?

No sat and nav are ok. The 8200 has sucky fm reception. I live in an area where no mountains, etc interfere with reception and my 315'pulled in stations strongly, but the pioneer barely pulled in half wha the 315 did. I put the 315 back in the car and sent the 8200 back to pioneer

zrickety

The Fixer
Kenwood is highly rated in reception, check the specs. Happy with my swap but the new Pioneer with appradio live is pretty sweet.
You may want to check your antenna adapter and routing. The diversity antenna in the back window is very sensitive, tint and power cords in the back will render FM useless.

thzpcs

Passed Driver's Ed
Does that unit require the special dual antenna adapter and such? I know the GTI uses a weird dual antenna setup that allows it to get better reception, but a lot of head units have to use a special connector to make it work right.

gliitch

Ready to race!
I'm willing to bet they did not install the antenna adapter for dual antennas.

Your car has a dual antenna and if no adapter is used they plug in only one antenna into the new unit and the reception will suck hard. It would be the same with any unit. I would pull it out and see what adapter they used.

cobie56

Ready to race!
I've found high end pioneer units to be top notch! Are you sure that you (or your shop) installed everything correctly?

Also, when I was in the aftermarket stereo game I was always partial to Alpine units. That said, take a look at this one, http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/carplay-ilx-007/

I thought so, too, but the first unit froze...not control on screen or with physical buttons, was replaced free. Second unit worked fine but had all sorts of problems with back up camera (first unit was fine) so it, too, was replaced. That was it for me. A third unit was offered for replacement but i declined . So i am back to my not so stellar but works fine oem rns 315

cobie56

Ready to race!
I'm willing to bet they did not install the antenna adapter for dual antennas.

Your car has a dual antenna and if no adapter is used they plug in only one antenna into the new unit and the reception will suck hard. It would be the same with any unit. I would pull it out and see what adapter they used.

A dual antenna was used and installed correctly with adapter.