GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd Whine Noise When Accelerating

Bluesy

Ready to race!
Lately I've been noticing this odd noise when cruising on the interstate and when I get on the gas at interstate speeds. The noise almost sounds like a suction of some sort or almost like a supercharger whine. I'm thinking it has to be a vacuum leak or something with the turbo.

I usually don't notice the noise til I get going about 50 mph or so (but I can still hear it if I get on the gas around 30 mph or so), and it gets higher pitched the faster I go. It really only makes the noise when I'm giving it gas.

I tried taking a video to show the noise (note, the noise isn't constant, I'm going on and off the gas). It's not super noticeable in the video but it's there :)04-:09 and :29-:31 are a bit more prominent).

Not sure what this would be, but I haven't noticed it before, definitely doesn't sound like the turbo spooling up. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Markthemac

Try unplugging your soundaktor if you haven't yet, as I just did mine and any odd electronic sounding noise coming from the engine is gone

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bluesy

Ready to race!
I might give that a shot. How big of a hassle is it to unplug it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluesy

Ready to race!
Thanks for the link. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Anyone else have some input?

Bluesy

Ready to race!
Gave the soundaktor idea a shot. Unplugging it did nothing to change the noise.

I uploaded another video to try and get the noise across. It's not picking up great on the videos but you can still hear it.

Check out :04-:09 and :29-:31 in the first video if you are having a hard time hearing it. Those are spots where it stands out a bit better.

Also, check the air filter, nothing wrong with it, just a bit dirty.

I'm thinking it has to be a vacuum leak somewhere. It seems like it is that or something with the turbo. The noise seems more apparent when there is boost.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
When did you first start noticing the sound? Perhaps it coincides with new tires, maybe those pzero's you mentioned in another thread?

I'm starting to think that our sounds are similar, mine are more noticeable above 40mph, but I can make it happen at 30mph. Happens on acceleration, and goes away when I release the throttle.

Bluesy

Ready to race!
Actually I'm still rocking some Bridgestone Blizzaks on steel wheels. It seems that I noticed it sometime this winter, probably after putting the winter wheels/tires on. That doesn't explain why it does it mostly when you are giving it gas though. Once I let off the gas it'll go away, and it's not like I'm slowing down drastically either, so I don't think it could be the wheels. We'll find out in a couple weeks if it's not fixed by then I guess. Almost time for regular wheels again.

And yes, mine is exactly the same. More noticeable above 40, but it'll do it at 30 or so too if I'm on the gas. Gah this is driving me nuts.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
It's the blizzaks. I have them also.

The best explanation I can offer is the same suggestion that a service tech told me when he went along for a ride.

The lift from the acceleration is causing more air to go under the car, which is then hitting the sipes and creating the noise. It is more noticeable on wet pavement, and on different types of pavement.

The sound is also noticeable through both side windows if you listened, and it's also very faint if you listen while decelerating.

Bluesy

Ready to race!
Well damn. I can't wait til I can put on my other wheels and confirm this is the case.

Bluesy

Ready to race!
FYI for anyone looking into this, the noise was the winter/snow tires. As odd of a description as it is, tucker3381's post above mine is accurate. The noise must be from the wind hitting the tires when the front of the car is lifting due to acceleration.

Cazzie902

Wow. Such a relief finding this post. I too am running the Blizzaks and noticed the new sound during winter season on wet roads. I'll continue to keep an eye/ear open for any changed but its good knowing its the rubber and nothing serious.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
its possible that the tires, which may be directional, are on backwards.