GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Chicagoland Chat Thread: Now with 150% More Daily Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
^ yea I asked that member sukana if he'd be willing to do it, but he said he isn't familiar with opening the stock xenon housing. Otherwise he'd do it for me.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
Usually you bake the headlights to take the two halves off. From what I heard you the sealant they use is super high temp and the plastic melts before the sealant. You have to dremmel them open then reseal. Problem then is moisture. I'm sure with some patience it can be done, but you probably wouldnt have a car for a few days.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
Hmm. This may be a job for my uncle at his body shop. However its hard for me to be car-less for a day let alone a few lol

michal

Go Kart Champion
What about the halos cutoff? Do you think it will not be too high to blind
oncoming traffic? With the halogens it might be ok but I think it can be much higher with the xenons headlights. I also do not think it'll look good on our cars. But I would like to for sure have an R xenons instead.:)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've baked headlights twice - once on each STI I've owned. The first one was the easiest, the 04, and that was just to remove orange reflectors. The 2nd was to install halos/angel eyes on the '08:

It was a total pain in the ass with these to get the halos to stay on right and not use to much epoxy or glue, etc., and you can't touch the insides of the headlights or else you will leave fingerprints. These aren't the best pics, but I did like the look on them and I know a few other guys that have them. Problem is, now everyone has them, so I don't know. And with the xenons, I think they most likely overpower the halos.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
I think I have gremlins in my car. While driving the footwell lights would randomly turn up in brightness then go back down. Did it like 5 times

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I think I have gremlins in my car. While driving the footwell lights would randomly turn up in brightness then go back down. Did it like 5 times

That's odd, haven't heard of that issue before. Did you change the bulbs?

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
Nope stock bulbs.

thevandal31

hey guys i'm fairly new to this thread and i've been lurking for a while. I've had a '10 GTI DSG for about 8-9 months now and i've been thinking of getting some stuff done to it, APR stage 1 flash and APR CAI for now. I live on the north side and was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions of where to get the work done on the car whether its at a vw dealer or any other auto shop. I wanted to buy the parts and have them installed at the same place pretty much all at once to avoid any hassle. Well, any help is welcomed thanks!

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
GRD is pretty much the best shop around. However they don't stock the apr carbonio intake. I know mount prospect autobarn has them in stock and also does the apr flash. But I'd say buy the intake and install it yourself. It's super easy with the instructions. Other than that, I'd get everything done at GRD. It's in villa park btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.