GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official lightweight wheels thread

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
^ 225/40 or any 225 tire is the "recommended" size for an 8" wheel

235 is more ideal for an 8.5" wheel

dont forget that the dealer tends to put tires one to two sizes larger than recommended on their wheels to help with curb protection.

zrickety

The Fixer
I know 235 fits fine, but always thought that was more ideal for 8.5 width.
I posted pics of 235 on 18x8 one page back, perfect fit.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
235 is ideal for an 8" wheel and would fit your setup fine. 225 fits a 7.5 wheel better.

^ 225/40 or any 225 tire is the "recommended" size for an 8" wheel

235 is more ideal for an 8.5" wheel

dont forget that the dealer tends to put tires one to two sizes larger than recommended on their wheels to help with curb protection.

I posted pics of 235 on 18x8 one page back, perfect fit.

thanks guys, appreciate the feedback from all of you. : )

Zrickety, is there any chance you could take a head on or side photo of your tire showing contact with the ground? I really want to see how far under the wheel rim the tire makes contact with the ground.

the 225's look great on the 18x8, but it looks like the tire is making contact with the road under the rim, and not at the edge as I thought it would do.

maybe Im over thinking, clearly there are tons of guys running 18x8 with 225s and having no performance issues. Ima tire noober.

:p

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I have a 225 on an 8 and if i lay the wheel down, the rim hits the ground before the tire does. If you look at an OEM wheel with OEM tire it fits square, so i wouldn't say they are putting a size larger. A Detroit (7.5) has a 225, while interlagos (8) come with 235. And for another spin, oem 135i wheels (8.5) come with 245 tires. The rule of thumb is you want a tire thats 1" wider than the wheel width.

8" wheel = 9" tire = 228.6mm

So you can pick. Not to mention the actual tire width will depend on the brand of tire. Here's some more info to help you make up your mind.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I have a 225 on an 8 and if i lay the wheel down, the rim hits the ground before the tire does. If you look at an OEM wheel with OEM tire it fits square, so i wouldn't say they are putting a size larger. A Detroit (7.5) has a 225, while interlagos (8) come with 235. And for another spin, oem 135i wheels (8.5) come with 245 tires. The rule of thumb is you want a tire thats 1" wider than the wheel width.

8" wheel = 9" tire = 228.6mm

So you can pick. Not to mention the actual tire width will depend on the brand of tire. Here's some more info to help you make up your mind.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198

thank you, Ill def read this afternoon.

For the wheel, I picked OZ Alleggerita 18x8, offset 48mm. For the tire, I picked Michelin Pilot SS. The tire size is the last thing Im trying to sort out.. maybe 235 is the way to go. You all have been really helpful though.

Stigosaurus

Hi guys,

finally ready to pull the trigger on some new wheels and summer tires and wanted some advice. Going with 18x8, offset 48mm on DG springs (not looking to go lower), and trying to decide on 225, 40/18 or 235.

Brain is mush trying to find photos of a head on view of 225 on 18x8 to see how they look. basically, is the 225 the perfect/ideal fit for a 18x8 wheel? I know 235 fits fine, but always thought that was more ideal for 8.5 width.

Looks like you have some good answers already. It does depend on the tire you select -- some 225s have wider section/tread widths than others. The 225 Michelin PS AS/3s I have now are noticeably wider on both of those measurements than the OE Pirellis they replaced. They looked a bit bulky on the Detroits; but the Neuspeed RSe12s I was waiting on finally arrived & the As/3s fit much better.

When I was looking at tires, I noticed that the Michelins have similar section/tread widths to many of the popular summer 18" replacements. As you probably know, the Neuspeeds are 18X8, ET 45. I've attached a few crappy pictures that will give you some idea of the fit. The dimensions on the Super Sports you've chosen & the AS/3s are fairly similar.

Attachments

• IMG_0371_2.jpg
    IMG_0371_2.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0369_2.jpg
    IMG_0369_2.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0375_2.jpg
    IMG_0375_2.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Looks like you have some good answers already. It does depend on the tire you select -- some 225s have wider section/tread widths than others. The 225 Michelin PS AS/3s I have now are noticeably wider on both of those measurements than the OE Pirellis they replaced. They looked a bit bulky on the Detroits; but the Neuspeed RSe12s I was waiting on finally arrived & the As/3s fit much better.

When I was looking at tires, I noticed that the Michelins have similar section/tread widths to many of the popular summer 18" replacements. As you probably know, the Neuspeeds are 18X8, ET 45. I've attached a few crappy pictures that will give you some idea of the fit. The dimensions on the Super Sports you've chosen & the AS/3s are fairly similar.

wow,thank you!!! your car looks awesome, btw. :w00t:

that really helps, many thanks for posting those.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I need to maintain my other thread again or people need to stop posting just random pictures of wheels. What happened to all the information that used to be on here.

Also lightweight is usually a pound or less per inch.....

Size:
Offset:
Weight:
BBK clearance:

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
:word:

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I'll start with the revival!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409068475.000901.jpg

Name: Volk Racing RE-30
Size: 18x8
Offset: +50
Weight: ~17.4 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
^Awesome set up. How are they with BBK? I was running a +33 on my RE30 so I had clearance. I know the RE30 Clubsports are modified to clear BBK.