GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a thread going on the GTI subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/9atkfn/just_got_sent_this_from_a_vw_service_writer_i/

So far it seems like there are two options...

1. Your tensioner failed and you had it fixed prior to 8/28. They will reimburse you if you provide all of the necessary paperwork.
2. Your tensioner has NOT failed yet. You have until 100k miles/10 years for it to fail and have your busted engine fixed.

Unbelievable. Thanks for everything VW. Bunch of hacks.

Gino

Ready to race!
Dove into this yesterday after finding out it is up and running. 23 pictures and one long word document containing my service history mapped out have been submitted. Maybe now I will be one of the first few to get compensated :) I did self oil changes and just provided proof of oil and filter purchases. I had to only be missing like one oil filter I couldn't find to be linked to an oil change.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Yup, doesn't seem like a very good settlement. It's obviously an issue, they should be replacing everybodies tensioner/chain that was affected and they should be reimbursing anyone that had it replaced preemptively.

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, doesn't seem like a very good settlement. It's obviously an issue, they should be replacing everybodies tensioner/chain that was affected and they should be reimbursing anyone that had it replaced preemptively.

Posting a comment from the Reddit thread below...

"Just called another dealership and they're at least willing to take a look to see if they can cover it under warranty. I called the settlement # and they said you can pay out of pocket and be reimbursed if you get it done before the January deadline and are under 100k.

I guess best bet is to call around and hopefully find a dealership that wants to help."

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've already had my tensioner replaced (at an indie shop) and I wasn't having an issue. I don't see dealers helping me with anything.

A.SMK6

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my tensioner will fail within the next 30,000 miles. VW definitely got off easy. Most of the cars listed are probably already near or over the 100k mark. Whatever happened to the "people's car" lol

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my tensioner will fail within the next 30,000 miles. VW definitely got off easy. Most of the cars listed are probably already near or over the 100k mark. Whatever happened to the "people's car" lol
Just pop the cap off and find a way to manually ratchet it back a bit. Start the engine and tada, crushed valves

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

joefix413

Especially the left hand camshaft when you put the left upper guide in, mine jumped twice.... if you order the tool kit with the socket adapters it’s easy to spin back into place but triple check all before you put the covers on....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A.SMK6

Just pop the cap off and find a way to manually ratchet it back a bit. Start the engine and tada, crushed valves

I was going to switch back to 10k oil changes and dog the shit out of a cold engine, but I like this better :thumbup:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I was going to switch back to 10k oil changes and dog the shit out of a cold engine, but I like this better :thumbup:

Someone on the facebook group just posted that vw is requesting proof of oil changes every 5k. I swear I read in the settlement it said 10% of the recommended oil change interval, which is 10k. I thought it was just using the 5k oil changes as an example.

He also posted a pic of his records of service from vw and the majority of them were purged from the system, so VW deleted his proof that he's been on top of his oil changes...

joefix413

I was at 130k when mine failed, then I got laid off and had to sell my house and buy a new one then rebuild my studio and rework my garage so I could even do the work, all the while seeing news stories on how people were getting their cars fixed by VW.... but not mine. I’ve been taking my time and luckily a local dealer worked with me on parts pricing. Thank you Pugi VW in Downers Grove!!!!! You guys are life savers!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Supposedly they request records of every oil change at 5k intervals or else they won't warranty, despite them recommending 10k... Keep it classy VW.

A.SMK6

That honestly doesn't surprise me at all, VW is ran by a bunch of crooks after all :laugh: I bought the car with 58k on it and it has all the service records. However the previous owner did 10k intervals instead of 5k like I do now. I don't understand how VW can go against the settlement though, wouldn't they be legally bound to the terms specified in the documents?

Last edited:

dwilson15

Quick update on anyone still curious, I called my local dealership to get things cleared up. I have a 2012 with 89k miles, got the letter in the mail today and qualify. I asked if it covered preventive maintenance at all and they said it only covers those that had it replaced, or are currently having a failure now. So unless yours already went, or is currently going now, there is no coverage.