GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
So is it likely they are going to do a recall? Can I just go in and have the tensioner replaced and VW will cover it, even if I'm not having any problems?

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
I had a 2011 gti and mine failed at 62k. VW wouldn't help out at all. Did it 3 years ago and that is why I never bought a VW again. POS. So glad to see this class action but every 5k oil change? How is that possible when it says in the manual and the dealership 10k?? Thankfully I saved everything. Pair 4k to get my upper head replaced.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dwilson15

So is it likely they are going to do a recall? Can I just go in and have the tensioner replaced and VW will cover it, even if I'm not having any problems?

No I do not believe they will be doing a recall. They told me that they could have their service tech look at it for me, and see if i qualify for the warranty. It sounds more like you can get money back you have already spent, but it seems like quite a gray area for preventative maintenance

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

Quick update on anyone still curious, I called my local dealership to get things cleared up. I have a 2012 with 89k miles, got the letter in the mail today and qualify. I asked if it covered preventive maintenance at all and they said it only covers those that had it replaced, or are currently having a failure now. So unless yours already went, or is currently going now, there is no coverage.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Is there anything that could be logged to show that the tensioner is not performing to spec and could potentially be used as proof that it needs to be changed before it actually breaks? Chain stretch?

lon888

Ready to race!
Got mine today. This is the exact reason why VW has an extremely high "one and done" record with buyers. It is so stupid to not replace the known defective tensioners (cheap German fucks!). I came from being a dyed-in-the-wool Honda buyer to this. After the huge problems I have experienced with bunch of clowns (namely 4 count them 4 intake manifold replacements), every fucking one of them on my dime. NOTE TO VW - I'M GOING BACK TO HONDA!!! Fucking over-rated German crap.

dwilson15

Is there anything that could be logged to show that the tensioner is not performing to spec and could potentially be used as proof that it needs to be changed before it actually breaks? Chain stretch?

Possibly, your local dealership would have to look at your car and make a decision from there. I haven't followed through too much but I am probably going to just pay out of pocket and hope VW will reimburse me. It will probably be a fight either way but I would rather be out around $1500 than be out $5k+ for a new engine

Tehred5pade

Passed Driver's Ed
Got mine today. This is the exact reason why VW has an extremely high "one and done" record with buyers. It is so stupid to not replace the known defective tensioners (cheap German fucks!). I came from being a dyed-in-the-wool Honda buyer to this. After the huge problems I have experienced with bunch of clowns (namely 4 count them 4 intake manifold replacements), every fucking one of them on my dime. NOTE TO VW - I'M GOING BACK TO HONDA!!! Fucking over-rated German crap.

im with you. i had a fsi gti back a few yrs ago and then bought a cc a couple yrs ago and now the timing jumped. ill likely fix it and then sell it. already have 2 other cars, no need for this one.

likely buy a newer caprice and put 799 heads and cam in it or something when i get back from my det... DET MONEY!!!

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
What is also frustrating with this issue is VW knows what production date they changed to the updated tensioner. Most say mid 2012 is when the update occurred yet I had to pay $150 to have my 4/12 build inspected. I'm ok.

My car has a build date of 4/12. Last year I had the timing chain and tensioner replaced, with only 55k on the car, do to the awful noise that was occurring on nearly every startup. I made sure to have the shop save the old parts for me, and indeed I had both the old style chain and tensioner, and the chain was even visibly stretched. Worth noting is that I have never come anywhere close to the 10k oil change interval, because we all know that’s stupid, right? Now here’s where it gets interesting; I’ve plugged my VIN into the VW Timing Chain Settlement page a few times over the last couple of days, and it continues to come back as not part of the settlement. I think at this point I am going to wait until after the holiday weekend to see if I receive anything by mail before a call the listed contact number, but I am more than a little skeptical of VWs willingness to do the right thing in this situation.

At any rate, I’ll post again when I know more. Also, anyone with a similar situation to mine, please comment and let us know how it is handled.

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Got letter and I say BS! I did change tensioner around 85K and just passed 100K now.
GL to all! tensioner replaced by DIY, dealer or indy shop to get reimbursement from VW. :23:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Got letter and I say BS! I did change tensioner around 85K and just passed 100K now.
GL to all! tensioner replaced by DIY, dealer or indy shop to get reimbursement from VW. :23:

No doubt..mine jumped time and I had my indy vw shop do it. I was past 100k miles but doesn't reflect that on my receipt. Shit, a few weeks later the ear on balance shaft ripped off and I just pulled the motor myself. Wanted to ignite that car...garbage all in the pan aluminum and a mounting screw. Running great now at 139k except stock turbo is dead. Going ko4, maybe this settlement will help with turbo cost..
This car is not a car for the average person. I have owned many civics and never issues, same with gmc. I'd you are going to own a turbo vw you are going to dump some coin to stay in the game, better get familiar with the motor.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I just received my tensioner settlement letter.

Wondering how being flagged as TD1 will impact this warranty extension. Pending the judge verdict on the settlement, this could be very beneficial to a lot of people.

I've had so many bad experiences at the dealership, I'd prefer to have a trusted independent shop do the work. I wonder if someone did the work now, for preemptive maintenance, if they could still get reimbursed?

lon888

Ready to race!
Does anyone know what is the flat labor replacement time for the timing tensioner?

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
So I'm reaching a decision point, somehow did not have this whole issue on my radar until I got the notice Friday.

113k miles, figuring $1,600 min for chain and tensioner change, $350 for upcoming DSG service, have a turbo oil bypass valve that's leaking. I can live with investing the $2300-2500, but wonder what other surprises lurk. I could use that same $ towards a Mk7 SE.

Is this car going to be death by 1000 cuts if I try to keep it for another 30-40k miles?