GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
When my chain slipped due to the tensioner, it would recatch occasionally the mechanic told me. He was amazed, but said every time it caught, it was back in time. He had to turn it over with the timing chain cover off and be watching it to catch this.

So it is possible it looks in time when they opened it up and still have a failed/failing tensioner

SilverBullet1

Sorry for my late reply, i only look on here every now and then. New part fitted but the engine still rattles on cold starts. Very annoying, but i will keep trying other ideas.

Sorry to hear - hope your warranty works for you. But that is one very nice looking Mk6 GTI you have there, i love them in silver.

Thanks, After much hassle i have had the car moved to another dealership via the aftermarket warranties roadside assistance.

they are in the process of compiling a conclusive report as to the failed part, which they are certain is the timing chain tensioner.

i hope to see progress made this week, with an even greater hope to have the car returned to me in a repaired state.

sometimes its worth it to put up a fight, i am definitely taking the poor service issue up with VW South Africa once the car is repaired.

7 weeks and counting...

SilverBullet1

When my chain slipped due to the tensioner, it would recatch occasionally the mechanic told me. He was amazed, but said every time it caught, it was back in time. He had to turn it over with the timing chain cover off and be watching it to catch this.

So it is possible it looks in time when they opened it up and still have a failed/failing tensioner

Quite possible that this could be what happened.

I think the initial dealership had made a very poor attempt at diagnostics.
Their final report stated that they could do no further diagnostics, and that they would place the car in storage until the aftermarket warranty made up their minds what to do.

At this point i drafted a letter to the aftermarket warranty requesting the car be transferred to my preferred dealership, then also pointing out all the irregularities and flaws in the initial dealerships report.

After which the warranty agreed to have the car moved.

Don Gunther

Newbie,
33,000 mi on a '07. The car is running fine but dealer wants to replace the timing chain, $1500, plus whatever else (?) What else should I have done? K04 upgrade, Stages3>3.2, and a whole lotta hard parts. I would consider taking it to Denver (200 mi) to connect with a Tuner. Recommendations?

Beej1

Ready to race!
My car is throwing a P0010 code (camshaft position actuator). I'm checking on the tensioner now. I'm manually cranking the engine and see a little movement in the tensioner. Obviously there's no oil pressure currently, but I'm wondering is this movement normal?

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
My car is throwing a P0010 code (camshaft position actuator). I'm checking on the tensioner now. I'm manually cranking the engine and see a little movement in the tensioner. Obviously there's no oil pressure currently, but I'm wondering is this movement normal?

The movement is normal, but that doesnt Mean that the tensioner is okay.

Beej1

Ready to race!
The movement is normal, but that doesnt Mean that the tensioner is okay.

Thanks for confirming that. I ordered the kit to replace the tensioner as a precaution. I think I'm going to remove the upper timing cover also and verify that my chain didn't jump a tooth or something crazy.

Don Gunther

'07 Need a new engine or a rebuild...

33,000 miles, thrust bearing gone. What to do now? KO4, I need a rebuild or... Willing to ship the car to Denver or buy a bottom end where? please help.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Many options. Rebuild the motor stock, rebuild the motor with upgraded pistons & rods ( only needed for stage 3+ or ko4 with water/method).

Did I miss something on your turbo, just fix the car, do the turbo later. If something is off on the rebuild and you change turbos also, it may be harder to notice.

KaJ

Ready to race!
I had my tensioner replaced at 94k miles to be safe. One positive thing I've noticed, the rattle at low speeds is greatly diminished. I've had that rattle since I bought the car and the dealer said it was normal, so I've lived with it the whole time.

I'm talking about the rattle when slowly coming to a stop and then lightly accelerating (in the 2-10mph range).

Azzore1

Ready to race!
I had my tensioner replaced at 94k miles to be safe. One positive thing I've noticed, the rattle at low speeds is greatly diminished. I've had that rattle since I bought the car and the dealer said it was normal, so I've lived with it the whole time.

I'm talking about the rattle when slowly coming to a stop and then lightly accelerating (in the 2-10mph range).

How much did it cost to do it?

brad7373

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, my car is screwed. VW says the timing chain tensioner and possibly crank shaft failed. I am tuned with apr stage 2 and intake and downpipe. They say i am not covered under warranty. I have a lease (planned to buy out ) and dont know what to do. THey want 3100 for timing chain and 3900 if i also need the cam shaft.

How can i fight this. If i have to repair it ill do it myself, does anyone have a DIY on how to pull the engine or how to access the timing chain

Uberryan

Banned
Hey guys, my car is screwed. VW says the timing chain tensioner and possibly crank shaft failed. I am tuned with apr stage 2 and intake and downpipe. They say i am not covered under warranty. I have a lease (planned to buy out ) and dont know what to do. THey want 3100 for timing chain and 3900 if i also need the cam shaft.

How can i fight this. If i have to repair it ill do it myself, does anyone have a DIY on how to pull the engine or how to access the timing chain

If you're within warranty, they must prove the mods are the cause, or you are the cause.

pluto

My chain tensioner failed 3 months out of warranty

My first post here, thanks for all the info.

My 2010 GTI 2.0T is with a mechanic. He is very good and very reasonable price wise. He will do the work and even if he installs a new engine it will be much less than the dealer. I've always used the dealer but never had a major repair. I called VW corporate and since I only have 53000 miles and I'm only 3 months out of the drivetrain warranty, they are leading me to believe they will help to some degree, but I have to take it to the dealer shop. Reading the posts here and having talked to the dealer shop, it looks like a new engine would cost $7-8k! (yikes). The indie mechanic estimates $2k. (still yikes, but much better).

Any opinions on what I should do? If VW helps me I doubt it would be for the whole thing, it might still cost $4k, and that's more than the indie mechanic. Any helpful advice is much appreciated, thanks!

zrickety

The Fixer
There is DIY on here. Bent valves will be the only snafu.