GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

nickp1

Ready to race!
So you think the timing chain shouldn't be replaced?

The chain shouldn't need replaced ("lifetime" part) unless the tensioner shows that the chain is stretched.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
Is there any chance VW will have a recall on these tensioners? I feel like jumping time is a pretty big issue.

I was hoping, but kind of doubt they would now. I'm nervous having a 2010, and hope I can find a dealer that will do the update if I ask. A lot of dealers won't do something is they feel it's not needed.
I had to fight one on getting carbon cleaning done and 5k oil changes. Why can't they just do it and take my money?

Don®

Ready to race!
Change the chain, the design has proved to be inadequate.
it will eventually stretch. The extension on my tensioner was within spec; however my chain, showed differently.

Original vs New

Shumo

it will eventually stretch. The extension on my tensioner was within spec; however my chain, showed differently.

Original vs New

yeah, I'm going to go ahead and replace the main chain.

what about the other chains? and the other tensioners?

thanks everyone!

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie

Original vs New

Those are two completely different types of chains. They might stretch a little but that's what the tensioner is for. Where has it been proven the design is inadequate?

Don®

Ready to race!
Those are two completely different types of chains. They might stretch a little but that's what the tensioner is for. Where has it been proven the design is inadequate?

The one the left is the original chain, the one on the right is the new chain. Well, let's ask the question, if the original chain and tensioner are indeed considered adequate, then why the change in design?

The tensioners primary function is not to take up chain stretch but to mitigate expansion and contraction of dissimilar metals (head and block) as well as to absorb reactionary forces from sudden onset of acceleration and deceleration conditions.

Chains do stretch yes, but unfortunately, the original design will succumb to failure, it's design cannot not handle as much tensile force or fatigue as the new one.

For a clearer comparison, I indicated the differences between the two.

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
The one the left is the original chain, the one on the right is the new chain. Well, let's ask the question, if the original chain and tensioner are indeed considered adequate, then why the change in design?

The tensioners primary function is not to take up chain stretch but to mitigate expansion and contraction of dissimilar metals (head and block) as well as to absorb reactionary forces from sudden onset of acceleration and deceleration conditions.

Chains do stretch yes, but unfortunately, the original design will succumb to failure, it's design cannot not handle as much tensile force or fatigue as the new one.

For a clearer comparison, I indicated the differences between the two.

I don't necessarily see a design change. One looks to be the upper timing chain, the other looks to be the lower timing chain. Do you have a picture of both the new and old timing chains for both the lower and upper timing chain?

Last edited:

mfractal

Ready to race!
Chain indeed stretches, has similar stretch in mine when I changed it and compared to latest revision (AD iirc).

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Chains strech, its normal.. even if you replace it the new one will strech eventually. It's a waste of money to replace the chain.

Yes replace the tenisoner but replacing the chain i think is not needed. I haven't seen anyone or read a post where they hand engine failure due to a chain randomly failing.

Don®

Ready to race!
I don't necessarily see a design change. One looks to be the upper timing chain, the other looks to be the lower timing chain. Do you have a picture of both the new and old timing chains for both the lower and upper timing chain?
The chains pictured are of my old and new timing chain. You can see how much it stretched. This is from my 2009 A3 Quattro. I did not change the chains for the oil pump and balance shaft.

Chains strech, its normal.. even if you replace it the new one will strech eventually. It's a waste of money to replace the chain.

Yes replace the tenisoner but replacing the chain i think is not needed. I haven't seen anyone or read a post where they hand engine failure due to a chain randomly failing.

I'm not so confident or convinced that the 'old' or 'original' design is as robust as what they are thought to be. I've seen them fail, and they do fail. NOT changing it from the old to the new design is not something I would take under advisement.

Last edited:

sticksabuser

Ready to race!

Wrong dude. A stretched chain can mess up the timing regardless of whether the tensioner is maintaining tension. Replacing the chains is recommended for high mileage vehicles (like every 100k miles or so).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shumo

What about them telling me to replace the clutch as well? I tested it today and its not slipping, but it has around 70,000 miles on it.

Is it really a good idea to have it replaced since they will be working on the timing chain?

I'm just asking because I know the clutch is on the other side of the engine so I'm not sure if they are just trying to add more parts and labor to the job.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say it depends. If you do early oil changes and don't overheat the engine, the chains will probably outlast the rest of the car. If you do 10k intervals, I would plan on buying chains.

Shumo

I would say it depends. If you do early oil changes and don't overheat the engine, the chains will probably outlast the rest of the car. If you do 10k intervals, I would plan on buying chains.

Yup, I've been doing 10k intervals for maintenance. So I'm replacing chains, tensioners and the guides ;)

thanks again everyone!