GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change DIY

Bender1

Banned
Waste of time and money. Please prove your point with dollars and time as you state. The use of such device would be intended for oil change in this case, if needed for something else just clean it; I do not see the point that you make here. Debris accumulation? You would have a bigger problem if you have debris in your oil, maybe a shorter oil change cycle is needed and/or better oil filters. Other dealerships use this device as well (Mercedes, Audi and BMW). Again, I have nothing against the "classic" method, I am just providing an alternative method for those who wish to use it for whatever reason they may have.

1) ALL oil gets debris in it. That is why you have a filter and why you change both the oil and the filter. Would you be willing to run your car without a filter?

2) when you drain via the plug (which is there for a reason, if these worked better all dealers would have extractors and you wouldn't need a plug) takes all the tiny (microscopic) deposits that sit in the bottom of the pan with them. When you use an extractor it leaves them behind. Then when you add new oil, that oil is instantly contaminated (think about pouring water into a glass that has a bit of salt at the bottom).

I understand what you are saying but a pair of Rhino ramps are cheaper than this thing AND I am sure we can all find an empty parking garage.
Not all of us are physically able to DIY, in that case it is better to pay a PRO (not some high school kid working at Jiffy Lube) to do it right.

Doing it the "easy way" with a 30k dollar piece of machinery is very short sighted.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
You are missing the point here. 10-15 minutes? For a quick somewhat messy job like the local Jiffy Lube. All the power to those that are able to change their oil the traditional way but for those who live in areas that have tight restrictions and/or do not have a garage to do so are better off using an extractor. Also this device does not take 10-15 minutes to suction off 4-5 qts. of used oil, have you used one recently? I am just stating that for those who do not have a ramp, a garage and/or unable to get below their GTI get one of these devices. US$90 is pocket change for people that have already purchase a US$25 - 30K automobile without taking into consideration the dollar amounts in upgrades, detailing, insurance, gas and misc. items.

I did use one recently in an attempt to avoid crawling under my car. I tested it on my old 2002 Golf. Took at least 20min minimum, and continual pumping to get enough suction for the flow to continue uninterrupted. I wasn't impressed to say the least.

I then did my first oil change on my GTI the "old fashioned way" and it was a snap, there is no mess. Simple. All you need is a nice jack/stands and you can get a good brand for $40. The space required is no more than you need to swap out a tire on a freeway! Plus it's more fun, get your hands dirty you pansies! :paddle:

I will however keep the extractor for my lawnmower :laugh:

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
The initial thought about these oil extractors is that they wouldn't get all the particles and such that settle to the bottom of the oil pan. Before you change your oil, you should make sure the car is completely warmed up. This ensures that the oil is pretty universally mixed throughout the crankcase, so the oil at the bottom should not be any dirtier than anywhere else.

The bottom line is that there are advantages and disadvantages for draining oil through the bolt hole in the oil pan, there are advantages and disadvantages for extracting oil using an fluid extractor device and people will have their preferred method.

My advice is to try both methods at two different oil changes and then decide which method you prefer and/or need.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You are missing the point here. 10-15 minutes? For a quick somewhat messy job like the local Jiffy Lube. All the power to those that are able to change their oil the traditional way but for those who live in areas that have tight restrictions and/or do not have a garage to do so are better off using an extractor. Also this device does not take 10-15 minutes to suction off 4-5 qts. of used oil, have you used one recently? I am just stating that for those who do not have a ramp, a garage and/or unable to get below their GTI get one of these devices. US$90 is pocket change for people that have already purchase a US$25 - 30K automobile without taking into consideration the dollar amounts in upgrades, detailing, insurance, gas and misc. items.

Okay...spend the $90 and let's do a oil change race, LOL.
Someone quoted that it took 30-45 minutes with an extractor...so that's why I said I could have the whole oil change done by then (in 10-15 minutes, seriously)

Seriously though...you don't even need ramps or a huge parking lot to change oil.

I used half a driveway & a couple of 2x4's stacked up on my MKV GTI....whatever works....you just need to reach the drain plug for a minute & that's it.

Like it was said before, the dealer doesn't use an extractor either. It's a complete waste of money.

Maybe you should change your blinker fluid to full synthetic after you extract that oil :rolleyes:

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Okay...spend the $90 and let's do a oil change race, LOL.
Someone quoted that it took 30-45 minutes with an extractor...so that's why I said I could have the whole oil change done by then (in 10-15 minutes, seriously)

Seriously though...you don't even need ramps or a huge parking lot to change oil.

I used half a driveway & a couple of 2x4's stacked up on my MKV GTI....whatever works....you just need to reach the drain plug for a minute & that's it.

Like it was said before, the dealer doesn't use an extractor either. It's a complete waste of money.

Maybe you should change your blinker fluid to full synthetic after you extract that oil :rolleyes:

You using Castrol Syn 5w-40 on your GTI now? Got it from the dealership?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You using Castrol Syn 5w-40 on your GTI now? Got it from the dealership?

Yup....well it's the oil from the factory still.

I already have 5 quarts of the Syntec 5W-40 & a new filter & drain plug for when I hit 5k miles too (from my dealer).

From the dealer, the oil was $6.10/quart or something

Autozone sells it for $8/quart

Like I said before, I shopped for better oil...but if you're going to take advantage of the "scheduled maintenance".....there isn't a point in switching oils if the dealer is going to put the Syntec 5W-40 in it anyways

mdashali

Ready to race!
I did my oil change yesterday at 6K. Picked up Castrol 5W40 from Autozone for $27.99 + filter from dealer for $15. The oil change was as simple as it was on my old Acura with the exception that GTI left zero mess from swapping out oil filter. Really loved it.

Today, while I was driving to San Francisco, I got the CEL. What a coincidence! I have done oil changes myself for all the car I owned. It is hard not to think that I could have caused it. I am taking in my car to check on the TPMS light which came on 2 weeks ago. Can these be related? Anybody else have CEL on?

micah360

Ready to race!
I did my oil change yesterday at 6K. Picked up Castrol 5W40 from Autozone for $27.99 + filter from dealer for $15. The oil change was as simple as it was on my old Acura with the exception that GTI left zero mess from swapping out oil filter. Really loved it.

Today, while I was driving to San Francisco, I got the CEL. What a coincidence! I have done oil changes myself for all the car I owned. It is hard not to think that I could have caused it. I am taking in my car to check on the TPMS light which came on 2 weeks ago. Can these be related? Anybody else have CEL on?

I did my first oil change myself about 500 miles ago and have been CEL free. I've also, disabled my TPMS shit too... so I"m free of those lights too.

When I installed my intake, for some reason after I was waiting to see a CEL pop up, but so far so good.:)

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
What is the torque setting on the drain plug? or just tighten but not "too" tight?

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
How do you get that plastic(?) rubbery cover on the oil filter off? Just twist it?

That *is* the oil filter. There is no cover on it; it's just one unit.

What is the torque setting on the drain plug? or just tighten but not "too" tight?
Don't remember what it is; I just tighten it by hand until I can't move it anymore without undue force.

P

plac

I have my answer after reading this 3rd page. I was confused on what the factory oil is for this car. Like dealer approved, guaranteed warranty safe. First I went to PepBoys and was planning on buying Mobil 1, just cuz thats what I buy on all my previous cars since i gave up on Amsoil. Then the only 5W-40 Mobil 1 had in stock was a diesel truck oil and i just didnt feel right about it. So then I went into the dealer like a fool asking for factory "VW Motul" oil. It was then I learned that simple Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is the approved GTI oil. At least thats what my dealer uses and was gonna sell me. So I guess I'll just go buy my Castrol Syntec 5W-40 now. i read 5 quarts is the perfect amount on dipstick including filter change, so ill just buy 6 so i have a spare for top ups.

Peachaz

Ready to race!
A few questions as I am about to do my first oil change on this car (or any for that matter):

1.) Is it best to do the change with a warm engine so the oil is less viscous? - I realize the burn risk here
2.) If I am jacking the car, which side is best to jack (DS or PS)?
3.) Jack from the front?
4.) Is the filter a simple twist off (with wrench) and twist on new one?

Last edited:
I have my answer after reading this 3rd page. I was confused on what the factory oil is for this car. Like dealer approved, guaranteed warranty safe. First I went to PepBoys and was planning on buying Mobil 1, just cuz thats what I buy on all my previous cars since i gave up on Amsoil. Then the only 5W-40 Mobil 1 had in stock was a diesel truck oil and i just didnt feel right about it. So then I went into the dealer like a fool asking for factory "VW Motul" oil. It was then I learned that simple Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is the approved GTI oil. At least thats what my dealer uses and was gonna sell me. So I guess I'll just go buy my Castrol Syntec 5W-40 now. i read 5 quarts is the perfect amount on dipstick including filter change, so ill just buy 6 so i have a spare for top ups.

there are much better oils available thatn castrol 5w-40. In fact, Autozone sells German-made Castrol Syntec 0w-30... a much better, resilient oil for our DI motors. Check out bobistheoilguy.com... it is a VW approved oil.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
A few questions as I am about to do my first oil change on this car (or any for that matter):

1.) Is it best to do the change with a warm engine so the oil is less viscous? - I realize the burn risk here
2.) If I am jacking the car, which side is best to jack (DS or PS)?
3.) Jack from the front?
4.) Is the filter a simple twist off (with wrench) and twist on new one?

Warm, not hot. :p Just a quick run around the block.

If you are jacking the car, jack both sides and then use jack stands to hold the car up. The drain plug is in the middle. Our cars are not designed to jack from the front, you will do damage to the frame as there is no jacking point there.

Yes, filter is twist-on twist-off.

there are much better oils available thatn castrol 5w-40. In fact, Autozone sells German-made Castrol Syntec 0w-30... a much better, resilient oil for our DI motors. Check out bobistheoilguy.com... it is a VW approved oil.

Yup... the Castrol 5W40 is merely "okay." The 0W30 Castrol is much better oil.