GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Okay. I'm officially Upset - CLUTCH SLIPPING

dowright82

WRX Convert
:mad:

So I understand that I've flashed to STAGE 1 APR, and I understand that I've tracked my car.

However, I've never "slipped" the clutch, "lauched" or abused my transmission in ANY WAY.

That being said, I also owned a WRX for 104,000 miles and it was stage 2 + intercooler etc and NEVER had trouble with the clutch at that time.

How is that my ONE YEAR OLD GTI that I "thought I was in love with" is now becoming a weakling?? Between this, the subframe bolts, and my recent steering issue, I'm starting to not love this car as much as I thought.

I've driven nothing but 5 and 6 speed cars my whole life and have NEVER had to replace a clutch anywhere NEAR THIS SOON!!!

I'm going to discuss options with dealer tomorrow. I might just take it all back to stock, sell my upgrades online here, and buy a tougher car . . . . :(

Its sad because this has been my favorite car I've ever owned as far as being GREAT at ALL THINGS including commuting, traveling, backroading, trackdays etc. What on earth would replace it?? WRX Hatch? 2000 model accord + spec miata?? 2000 accord + Yamaha FZ1?

Once again, LOVE THIS CAR, but can't believe the clutch is slipping at 32k.

I'd understand if I was Stage II+ or Stage III but not a simple reflash + intake. :iono:

FNR32

Ready to race!
I keep hearing that the clutch in the TSi is a little weaker than the FSi. Could it be that you just glazed the disc? I did that a few times in my WRX and after driving a while normally it was fine. If you like everything else about the car are you really willing to let the fact that a wearable part is wearing out after 32K miles at an above stock power level including some track time?

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I think having gone 30k is not bad on a stock clutch.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I've seen clutches go in less then 10k and as long as 100k. A lot of variables go into how long a clutch lasts.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I feel like my clutch is going to slip soon...My gears go in to soft at 16k miles.
I have driven many manuals throughout my life and 30k is not acceptable.

dowright82

WRX Convert
I've been stage 1 since 7k miles - Track days are simply HPDE around a road course, not too much transmission abuse at all, simply shift, then gas. No slipping, no drag racing, etc.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Its seems they are pretty weak, especially compared to the fsi guys. Don't know if it has to do with the big torque downlow or a weaker disk. At any rate, I think 'll end up with a Southbend Stage 3 disk. Heard nothing but good things about it.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
welcome to TSI land Bullet proof fuel system, decent PCV system, great stock injectors, but a shitty clutch. if you really want to bitch about this very small wear item, then go buy a FSI that has a stronger clutch but has HPFP issues ($1500 upgrade, shitty PCV $100 fix, Injector upgrades required past stage 2 ($500) so thats a $2100 trade off for a stronger clutch but a whole lot of other issues...
BTW DBC tuning sells a stage 3 disc thats $375 that will handle up to 400 ft lbs of torque

1flymk6gti

Go Kart Champion
that sucks man! when i first got my GTI (1st manual car) i asked them what would happen if i burn the clutch and they told me the first clutch is on VW. this may not apply to you but thats what the VW of Cherry Hill Nj told me.

dowright82

WRX Convert
welcome to TSI land Bullet proof fuel system, decent PCV system, great stock injectors, but a shitty clutch. if you really want to bitch about this very small wear item, then go buy a FSI that has a stronger clutch but has HPFP issues ($1500 upgrade, shitty PCV $100 fix, Injector upgrades required past stage 2 ($500) so thats a $2100 trade off for a stronger clutch but a whole lot of other issues...
BTW DBC tuning sells a stage 3 disc thats $375 that will handle up to 400 ft lbs of torque

Yeah, this is probably what I'm gonna do - - - been searching for a DIY walkthrough - but haven't found one yet > > > > anybody know of one??

Joker GTI

Ready to race!
mine makes a whining noise when backing up my driveway........ is that normal?

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
Same issue here, APR Stage 1 and Apr Stage 2 Intake and clutch slippage...Just ordered my clutch kit.