GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PA Emissions = FAIL

allset

Go Kart Champion
from what i've heard the non-test pipe file can be run just like another other file. You just run the risk of getting a CEL if you're running catless or a high flow cat.

right makes sense. i gotta check if i had spacers put on my UR. I think they use plain nuts as spacers...any one know if they do the job?

Redzgti

Ready to race!
Its ur buddies shop just get him to pass it. That's what I did on my subie I had a catless header. Then can do this by giving u an exemption

1flymk6gti

Go Kart Champion
i understand the cat part, i have a few friends who pass without a cat easily, i just need to order the spacer n i should be fine. I will give it a go with a spacer sometime this week.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I know vag com is very limited as to what it can do, in the ECU does it have an option to get into basic settings? Block 71 and then 70 while idling are to test the evap system.

VCDS is in many ways more capable than the the 5052, it can do some functions you can no longer do at a dealer outside of GFF. Prior to VW requiring GFF for warranty repair many dealers issued their techs VCDS and a laptop instead of buying multiple 5052s. Many of the regional engineers also used it since it was easier then lugging around their own 5052 and meant they didn't have to slow down a shop by taking theirs.

.... awaits your rants and tantrums in other posts i make today because someone knows more then you on a topic...

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
So last night i went down to my buddies shop for an inspection for PA, I have a 42DD dp (catless) and i threw lot of codes. So we hooked vagcom up to my car and set readiness codes but we could get the EVAP to work with us causing my car to fail. In PA your aloud to have 1 code on for emission. Does anyone know how to set the EVAP readiness code through VAGCOM? My buddy told me to get a o2 sensor spacer form 42DD and i shouldn't have a CEL anymore and i would be able to pass. Any Input?

You are mixing issues and therefore making it hard for people to help you.

Your downpipe should throw one and only one code if everything is working right and that is the P0420 cat efficiency code. If you have any other codes you have actual problems you need to fix and an 02 spacer can actually exaggerate some of them. Any lean or rich codes or actual codes that say 02 sensor are real problems and have nothing to do with your lack of cat, address them don't throw more crap into the equation.

You say PA allows one code, do you mean one fault code or that you can have one readiness test not pass? Again these are two different things and you kind of didn't give enough information to let anyone know how to help you.

If your evap test is not passing you most likely have an issue with your evap system. Most common is going to be a loose gas cap or a bad seal. After that if you ever had the intake fuel pump worked on and the seal was not properly reinstalled you could throw codes, a leak in the system anywhere else could also be an issue, or a clogged N80 valve.

Is the readiness passing for everything but evap? Yes you can actually get all your readiness tests to pass and have no codes (for a time) even if you have no cat in these cars. They run very efficient and since you can manually run all the tests for readiness with VCDS if you get them to all run and pass then don't drive the car allowing the cat to cool and throw codes you can probably get through as is. This is of course assuming you don't have any other actual issues. I have seen and actually set readiness passed on cars with no cats many times in these applications.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Considering that without a catalytic converter you are polluting the equivalent of 20-30 vehicles, you shouldn't pass ANY emissions test. It is pretty ignorant to run without a cat, so do yourself a favour and put it back on.

Please.

Current engines are cleaner WITHOUT a cat than engines WITH a cat were when CATs were brought about in the 70s.

Bender1

Banned
Its ur buddies shop just get him to pass it. That's what I did on my subie I had a catless header. Then can do this by giving u an exemption

They are audited for exemptions versus what is showing in the system in Harrisburg - easy way to loose your inspection license.

Bender1

Banned
Is the readiness passing for everything but evap? Yes you can actually get all your readiness tests to pass and have no codes (for a time) even if you have no cat in these cars. They run very efficient and since you can manually run all the tests for readiness with VCDS if you get them to all run and pass then don't drive the car allowing the cat to cool and throw codes you can probably get through as is. This is of course assuming you don't have any other actual issues. I have seen and actually set readiness passed on cars with no cats many times in these applications.

Not sure if this applies Chris, but not only do you have to pass readiness but you need to do so without a failure in X number of engine cycles. I.E. you can't wipe all codes as you are pulling into the inspection station and expect to pass even if you don't throw any codes while there.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
So last night i went down to my buddies shop for an inspection for PA, I have a 42DD dp (catless)

I havent read the entire thread, but just looking at this statement is enough

allset

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if this applies Chris, but not only do you have to pass readiness but you need to do so without a failure in X number of engine cycles. I.E. you can't wipe all codes as you are pulling into the inspection station and expect to pass even if you don't throw any codes while there.

i think u need to run 4-5 hot/cold cycles to reset with some highway speed miles.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion

Clearing codes clears all readiness tests and resets them to not passed, which is why you would fail.

This is then confused with needing a number of drive cycles to pass because on the average car the only way you can set readiness is to drive the car through a bunch of conditions aka drive cycles.

While there is a mileage and time counter since codes last cleared that can be shown in OBD II functions I am not aware of that being used to fail cars.

What you may often hear a I/M tech say is "you didn't drive the car enough I can't pass you". He is referring to the fact that if you cleared the codes at 9am and drove right to the station 2 miles up the street at 9:10 it didn't go through enough drive cycles and your readiness tests may not have actually run or passed yet.

VW/Audis have a function with VCDS or the dealer tools where you can "force" readiness. This has actually created enough of a buzz that the EPA has contacted companies like ross-tech accusing them of bypassing these emission tests, not realizing it was simply just an internet term for VWs function of performing the drive cycles while sitting in one spot.

It certainly is possible that there are states checking those counters but I haven't heard of anyone actually failing for it.

Bender1

Banned
Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Our testing here is so screwy as it is county dependent. If you live in one of about 15 counties, we are on Cali standards. If you live in the others you might as well run your car on burning tires venting right into the HVAC system of a day care.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Aren't emission tests required state wide?
According to the PA DMV, emission tests are required by the state with exemptions to; motorcycles, antique cars, street rods, and collectibles.

midnight11

Ready to race!
This is my big worry, i live in lackawanna county and we r required to pass emissions. i have a catless dp, non rez, and im stage 2. All my friends i talked to said find a "lazy garage" and hope they just pass it.