GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking Brake Issue

TheCor

Ready to race!
I did a lot of searches but didn't find anything similar.

My ebrake on my 2013 GTI still works...it ratchets properly and holds the brake, and it releases when I hold the button and put it back down, and the parking light goes off properly.

However, the issue is that starting yesterday when I released the brake to leave work, it felt very coarse when I released it and pushed the handle down...almost as if the cable was binding beneath the handle. The brake released fine, no smell, no light, no feeling of brakes on the rear wheels, but the handle just doesn't glide down like it did previously. I can repeat it every time now. No noise either, so nothing to film, but it distinctly feels like something is in the way as I push down to release.

I have to try and take apart the console this weekend and see what I can get to, but has this happened to anyone? Could something need to be lubricated, or pushed back into its track? I've never messed with adjusting/inspecting an ebrake before. :iono:

zrickety

The Fixer
You are in my old stomping ground. Odds are you need to lubricate the cables and/or brackets underneath the car. Salt and water get in there and corrosion will build up.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I'm located in Upstate NY also...I replaced my cables last year after 3 winters because as the the previous post said, salt from the winter roads gets into the cable lines. Unlike the OP, my hand brake had a difficult time releasing until one day the cable on the left side just snapped.

I would honestly replace the cables if you can...it wasn't difficult at all.

TheCor

Ready to race!
So do you think its not worth my trouble to dismantle the console? I'd probably end up just taking it apart only to put it back together if there isn't much for me to do there.

zrickety

The Fixer
Look at rear brake cables first, follow where they go.

TheCor

Ready to race!

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
So do you think its not worth my trouble to dismantle the console? I'd probably end up just taking it apart only to put it back together if there isn't much for me to do there.

The cables rust where they connect to the caliper. As you apply the parking brake, the cable becomes exposed past the rubber surround and the gasket on the end...exposing the cable to the elements. There is no point taking apart the console because there is nothing to see/to do.

If you are replacing them, you will have to take apart the console to undo the bolt clamping the two cables.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
Check that it is not just the POS plastic that covers everything.

Mine has been going south lately, and it is just the plastic getting bunched up and not fitting where it is supposed to. I have to like massage it into place. I can take pictures next time I go somewhere.

zrickety

The Fixer
Here's a tip, if you try to lubricate it use silicone spray and not WD-40. Maybe even a graphite lube. WD-40 eats plastic and most cables have a plastic sheath in there.

TheCor

Ready to race!
Here's a tip, if you try to lubricate it use silicone spray and not WD-40. Maybe even a graphite lube. WD-40 eats plastic and most cables have a plastic sheath in there.

Good tip, I have some white silicone spray on the bench if I need it. Thanks!