GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with Rear Window Tint??

Dioscuri1

Hi, all
I was just curious if any of you had/have a similar problem.
I have SunTek Carbon series 35% tint on rear window on my 5dr '11 GTI.
I started noticing the flame shaped foggy/smudge marks on all four corners and right behind the base of rear wiper.
(I had a problem with dust behind the tint on all the windows, every window except the front. So they redid them. Thus, the tint on rear is the second tint. And it's been almost 6 weeks since they redid them.)
For the reason they had to redo the tint twice, I first thought that these foggy/smudge were adhesive residue from the first tint job they did.
However, the guy at the shop told me that, especially on GTI's curved rear window, they had to use the heat gun a lot to stretch the film all direction and shrink it to fit at the same time. And he thinks that these foggy/smudge like marks are from stretching the film/tint.
These foggy/smudge marks are about 4 - 5 inches big.
For the third time around, they are a little hesitant to redo and they said that even redoing it again might not solve the problem. I insisted to have them redo and even offered to cover the labor, because I want it done perfectly.

So, anyway,,,,,,
All the guys out there, do you have a similar problem like mine?
Do yo see stretch marks around the corners on your rear windows?
Am I just being too picky????

I appreciate any input/feedback!
Thanks
Rex

Last edited:

CMD

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear you're having such issues. I don't have any foggy or smudge areas on any part of the windows. Sounds like you should maybe take it to another reputable place to have them look at it or possibly redo them.

Bender1

Banned
Take it to another place or tell them to hand cut it. My guy told me that the Mk6 rear window was one of the hardest he ever did as it curves in three directions at once. He cut the rear by hand as he didn't trust the machine to not under cut it. Looks like his fear was accurate.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
There are some smear mark on mine, maybe about the size of a thumb, near the wiper at the base. Not very noticeable so I am not going to be too anal about it unless it gets worse somehow...

Dioscuri1

Thanks CMD, Bender and RacingManiac!

I believe that they are hand cutting the film.
And I was basically told the same thing about the rear window, the curvature in three directions.
Since they are working on it right now, I will see how it turns out this time.
Maybe I get lucky on the third time around.
If not, I will definitely take it somewhere else next and take it as a valuable lesson learned.
Rex

Dioscuri1

Thanks
I will!!

Rex

Dioscuri1

"Third Time Lucky!!" :happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

No smudge/foggy stretch marks or dust or bubbles
Just perfectly flat and clean:wub::wub:

Rex

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Mine is on there for 7 months and no problem. Had my wife's Beetle done by the same guys and they said the rear window on the GTI is a breeze (not that is is easy) compared to the Beetle's rear window.

Pillow

Mine on the JSW turned out great being machine cut, but the rear installation did take a long time and with a heat gun... Just the rear window took as long as the other windows combined!

I went with 20% in the rear and couldn't be happier! 45% on the front windows, but wish I pushed for 35%.

Dioscuri1

AyePhung
I got it done at Oasis Trade Window Tinting in Miramar.
I initially stated 3M but actually SUNTEK Carbon series.
I had 70% on driver & passenger, 35% on rear doors and hatch, and 3M clear on head and fog lights. All for $368.00 It was cheaper than a couple of places that I got a quote from, but this place is just a stone throw away from my office. :)

Red2011GTI
Yeah, I guess they have two techs working there. It seems one is much better than the other even though I heard "the other" has a longer experience. You were pretty lucky to have such a competent installer. ;)

Pillow
Hey, lucky you, too! I had to make three trips to get it right, but at least it is now perfect. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. In the past with some other cars, I had limo black tint on back windows. You can call me "old," but I just don't like the fact that with dark tint, I can't tell if it's a cop or not that's sneaking upon me from behind on freeway.
However, there are many "cool" benefits from having dark tint. :w00t:

Rex

Last edited:

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
AyePhung
I got it done at Oasis Trade Window Tinting in Miramar.
I initially stated 3M but actually SUNTEK Carbon series.
I had 70% on driver & passenger, 35% on rear doors and hatch, and 3M clear on head and fog lights. All for $368.00 It was cheaper than a couple of places that I got a quote from, but this place is just a stone throw away from my office. :)

Red2011GTI
Yeah, I guess they have two techs working there. It seems one is much better than the other even though I heard "the other" has a longer experience. You were pretty luck to have such a competent installer. ;)

Pillow
Hey, lucky you, too! I had to make three trips to get it right, but at least it is now perfect. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. In the past with some other cars, I had limo black tint on back windows. You can call me "old," but I just don't like the fact that with dark tint, I can't tell if it's a cop or not that's sneaking upon me from behind on freeway.
However, there are many "cool" benefits from having dark tint. :w00t:

Rex

We did get lucky. They complained big time about the Beetle and said next one they do they are going to charge more.

Dioscuri1

gunmetal5
Thanks!
One less thing in my life to get annoyed from ! :thumbsup: