GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

recognized1's 2011 GTI Build Thread

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
Here is a video of my 12.8 run courtesy of Haiiro GTi. I am in the right lane and Haiiro GTi is in the left lane

Hopefully I will get my hands on the 12.6 runs.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
Here it is ... the 12.62 run. It is hard to see the time at the end but you can make it out watching it on 1080p mode on a computer.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
Took it to the track at FixxFest yesterday.

No new records set but had a great time. My 3 best runs.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
I have done three little projects on the car that I have failed to post updates.

First one I am going over was replacing the K&N filter from the APR Carbonio with an AEM DryFlow filter. The pro of this is not needing to oil the filter and risk damaging the MAF sensor. This is a good thing since everytime I clean the filter I have been too paranoid if I did not put enough oil or too much. For $20 bucks from Jeggs performance I figured I would give it a shot.

This billed as an exact replacement of the K&N filter. When you compare it side by side with the human eye it looks the same.

However, that is not the case. When placing the filter on the pipe the opening on the filter seems to be 1-2 mm smaller in diameter. This was a pain to get on compared to the K&N but after playing around with it long enough I was finally able to get it on.

After winning that battle I slipped the cover on the filter. This was also interesting because it was a tight fit getting the cover on and avoid damaging the filter but no where near as hard as my earlier battle.

Overall, I am happy with this project and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to bother with the hassle of oiling the filter. Not sure how much it contributed to my 12 second runs since I did not any logs to see if there was improvement of airflow. The butt dyno did not feel a difference and the noise level is the same to me.

Last edited:

sskamboj

Ready to race!
Man, you and your year-round good weather. I need to get a set of drag radials for my runs next season at the strip. Are you DSG?

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
The second project was installing the 034 Motorsport Street Density Engine and Transmission mounts. Install was a breeze thanks to Haiiro GTi. When we pulled out the OEM mounts I was shocked of the weight difference between the 034 mounts and the OEMs. The 034 mounts were solid and very heavy compared to the OEM. It did make me nervous at first because I was thinking the vibrations were going to increase a lot. However, I was nervous for nothing. If anything it made the vibrations less since I had the BFI Stage 1 Torque Mount insert.

DSG Reverse Test: PASS
A/C On Test: PASS
Holding the Brake on a Hill Test: PASS

These mounts have blown away my expectations. The engine still has some movement but compared to before where the engine and transmission would wiggle all over the place with every shift, now it seems to snap back in place with every shift. It also impressed Haiiro GTi so much that he is swapping out his Spulen mounts for these.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
The third project update was a simple one. Since we had to take out the battery tray to get to the transmission mount I decided to go with Haiiro GTi version of the battery mount. Reasons that it intrigued me was the fact that the DSG transmission can now breathe instead of being buried in the engine bay and I save a couple of more pounds not using the battery tray. All that is needed for this project is zip ties and some better battery posts that I picked up from Amazon for $10.

Battery is leak proof and very sturdy where it is mounted so I am not worried about movement or any damage.

Maybe now I can upgrade the DSG filter housing from USP to dress up the engine bay a little more :thumbup:

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
Rolled out with The Euro Alliance to Winterfest 2015 at Sebring International Raceway.

More pics can be found HERE and a couple a vids I have posted up on my IG.