GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing my engine

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Well, I have already had to pull the motor out of this car once (last year) due to lost screens and a balance shaft that snapped its flange off. This was about 30k miles back and now the burning of oil has become too much. While I have pulled the engine I have not swapped all the external components and I want to have everything on hand to complete the job.
Items I can think of..
New main seal
New water pump
Enough oil for 2 changes (break in and fresh oil)
Coolant
Anything else you guys can think of? Yes, I picked up rebuilt long block in my gti :)

I

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I had never worked on a new vw but when I lost all oil pressure due to balance shaft I had more time than money. I drive around most days for work so I had to get it fixed.
I picked up the rebuilt block from a local guy. He was cool and gave me some helpful tips. He has a shop and told me if I broke down call him and he will send a tow truck. Hopefully everything is solid and will have no issues. He assured me all was solid and I trust him. Cost me $1900 with $350 core charge. I might end up keeping my old block for future endeavors.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Yeah I would save the old block, if anything it will make a cool coffee table. I'm not sure I would bother with a new water pump, but I guess while it's apart why not. Spend a few extra bucks and get the iAbed billet rear main seal, totally worth it. The oem piece is junk.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yeah I would save the old block, if anything it will make a cool coffee table. I'm not sure I would bother with a new water pump, but I guess while it's apart why not. Spend a few extra bucks and get the iAbed billet rear main seal, totally worth it. The oem piece is junk.

I plan on metal (alum) water pump. I dont know that my plastic one has ever been changed.
I have seen the iabed RMS, I already have a OEM so I dunno. Will have to check cost. I guess having a solid RMS >water pump

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
Injector seal kits. Various gaskets, intake manifold exhaust manifold etc. Flywheel bolts. Crank pulley bolts. Dogbone mount bolts if you remove them. Thread locker. Just a few things I can think of.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Best of luck; document as much as you can at your convenience! I may swap in a low-mileage motor in the future myself.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Injector seal kits. Various gaskets, intake manifold exhaust manifold etc. Flywheel bolts. Crank pulley bolts. Dogbone mount bolts if you remove them. Thread locker. Just a few things I can think of.
Intake mani gasket is connected.
I do need injector seals and exhaust gaskets.Good reminder, thanks!

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Best of luck; document as much as you can at your convenience! I may swap in a low-mileage motor in the future myself.

Will do, dont see it being too difficult as I have had the engine out previously. I marked all harness ends with masking tape and what they were for. I think I can complete it in a weekend and a day..

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
About 2.5 hours, need to drain coolant pull rad assembly/crash bar off and yank it out. New gaskets showed up today, didnt expect till tomorrow. I have a felpro rms but I'm hesitant to use it. Anyone have experience with these?
Got another ticket last week for no inspection and was asked if I knew my car was smoking. Lol, is that where I've been losing a quart 200 miles? Ha
Last time I pulled engine I didnt own xzn sockets and was a bit difficult. So far so good..
I'm a bit further than this pic.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
That was a whoopin, 7 hours total to get the engine out. I marked a lot of the wiring harness with masking tape and where it goes. This was a big help last time when routing it back around the engine. Hopefully tomorrow I can start pulling parts off old block.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Started swapping parts today. I hate when I have all my tools/parts out and then wife informs me we have "things" to do. Anyway, here are some pics. All pretty straightforward except the injector seals. Had to watch a video on that, wasnt sure if they just pulled out of the intake (they do). On the other end I replaced the ring by slicing old one off and carefully sliding new one on. It was a bit difficult to get them seated into the head but I used aftermarket bolts that I picked up. ITS VERY EASY TO STRIP THREADS ON HEAD. I am using longer bolts and chunked the stock as they are about a 1/4 too short imo. Just like the comfort of having more thread in there.
Other than that nothing to comment..

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Oh and one of the injectors was soaked with oil! I assume there was only one cylinder burning all that oil. Crazy I never had a cel pop up burning a quart every 200 miles! Before and after new seals.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Well..waiting on head to come back from machine shop.swapped everything on the front side and got to turbo to find there were 2 exhaust studs snapped off in the block. I built the stud up with weld and had enough to put vise grips on and it ripped the top of the stud off. So drilled a hole through the stud and put an ezout into it and ended up snapping it off..I was going to drill it oversize and put a helicoil in but since I bought the block rebuilt I'm going to let the seller deal with it. Ughh should have back by Saturday