GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - KMD Lower Stress Bar Kit

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Of course not. :D Even more it's absolutely impossible a brace reduces
body roll, which the thread starter wants to have "imagined" - Placebo.
If you want to decrease roll, then lift roll center, get stiffer sway bars
or/and stiffer springs. No way out of this.

Last edited:

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Correct @the bruce.

But this is a stress bar. it is not a sway bar (anti roll bar)
the bar is helping reduce flex. not sway or roll. there is no placeo effect here.
i have this full set on my car and i felt an immediate difference. I know once i get my front sway bar it will be an added dimension. The subframes do flex on these cars.
its a weak point.

im just stating this is not a placebo.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Placebo or not I can feel a difference in the car and I still stand by my initial impressions. There's still sway of course but it just feels tighter which most likely conveys a sense of 'flatness' on turns.

Sure we know that certain products are stiffer than stock or have better dampening characteristics but where's data showing that using the same car under the same conditions with the same driver will yield better lateral g's and more importantly give faster lap times on the same track? And how much of an increase and is that increase worth the investment???

With engine upgrades you can dyno it or run 0-60's or whatever but it's harder to do with suspension.

I honestly feel that tires and suspension upgrades (coilovers,etc) are extremely subjective and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Even if one is proven (with data) to be better than the other.

Bottom line is I feel the car is more fun to drive at the limit.

And I have much respect for 'the bruce' and what he brings to this forum.

The Yetti

Ready to race!
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I see, could you run this in addition to the RB and UB? I wondering if that would be overkill if you could.

Any thoughts?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
I had seen these braces before, but I can't imagine a tangible gain from bolting a steel brace to a webbed cast aluminum subframe, which is bolted to a steel body by 4+ bolts. Any "flex" in that component would be highly unlikely. If your car feels better though, more power to you!

The only brace that ever made a little sense to me is a middle or under body brace, but only because I get tired of hearing my window seals squeak going up a driveway :p

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I see, could you run this in addition to the RB and UB? I wondering if that would be overkill if you could.

Any thoughts?

i dont think that would be overkill. just helping with rigidity.
next thing would be full roll cage then lol

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Think they'd work fine in concert with the XB or the upcoming
Tyrol Sport rear brace. I did mention quite frequently that I still
would rate the UB as "not so well designed". Its "U" shape is far
from optimal.

Correct @the bruce.

But this is a stress bar. it is not a sway bar (anti roll bar)
the bar is helping reduce flex. not sway or roll. there is no placeo effect here.
i have this full set on my car and i felt an immediate difference. I know once i get my front sway bar it will be an added dimension. The subframes do flex on these cars.
its a weak point.

im just stating this is not a placebo.
I don't want to be anal, but I was just refering to this statement: :D

So, I wanted to reduce the sway/roll to get better cornering but was put off on the Front Sway Bar install and don't like the feeling of just a Rear bar.

Driving Impressions:

From my house there's a fairly sharp right hand merge onto the highway which I always take quick as it's a fairly short merge lane. Normally I can really feel the car shift/roll to the left. Without looking at my speed I went into it expecting the same pitch to the left but instead found the car to remain flat and my traction control came on for the first time ever around a corner.

However nothing to say against stiffening the body in general.

;)

On a side note:

Haven't the same braces been available under a different brand?

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
pretty interested in this mod at this point -- already have sways, a W.A.L.K., the Unibrace "trilogy" and a tyrolsport collar kit (ready to install) ...

has anyone used this in conjunction with the tyrolsport kit yet? Im thinking this is REALLY going to lock down the subframe if done together ...from what I can see, they dont use/have any mutual mounting bolts, so should be ok ??

thoughts?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
The KMD Lower Front Brace is great. Out of all of the other braces that I have going on, I can say that this is the one that I notice the most on a daily drive. Front end feels very solid.

Stinger

Ready to race!

v.b

Ready to race!
I had seen these braces before, but I can't imagine a tangible gain from bolting a steel brace to a webbed cast aluminum subframe, which is bolted to a steel body by 4+ bolts. Any "flex" in that component would be highly unlikely. If your car feels better though, more power to you!

The only brace that ever made a little sense to me is a middle or under body brace, but only because I get tired of hearing my window seals squeak going up a driveway :p

Has everyone overlooked this? Whats the point of bracing a cast subframe? Makes no sense..

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
The KMD Lower Front Brace is great. Out of all of the other braces that I have going on, I can say that this is the one that I notice the most on a daily drive. Front end feels very solid.

I had heard today that these may not fit DSG cars -- but looks like yours did --- no issues?? :thumbsup:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I had heard today that these may not fit DSG cars -- but looks like yours did --- no issues?? :thumbsup:

No issues at all. Had it bolted up in a few minutes.