GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revo vs Apr

artinmoTTion

Passed Driver's Ed
re: APR

Every VAG car I've owned in the past 12 years has had upgraded software, and never a chip related problem with any of them. Be as obsessive about your maintenance as you can, and don't rag on the car, just enjoy it and its increased driveability and you'll be all smiles.

Having the APR software in the GTI now, there's no way I'd be without it. It's not miraculous, it just makes the car's powerband so much more useable and broad. That is, when you learn to control the front wheel spin. It's what VW would have done if they didn't have to honor the warranty of every random idiot owner that doesn't do their maintenance and rags on the car.

Find a dealer that does the APR flashing (and support them over the other less mod-friendly dealers) and you'll be all smiles with no worries.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Dont they(APR) have to short out the ECU for it to work? Does REVO have to ?

And cant the dealer just do the stalk thingy that we do to set it up to see if our car is flashed? or the tamper proof bolts that have to be removed are the dealers replacing them with new ones? Or find out what is shorted and test that connection? If the dealer finds it your SOL with a warranty cause everything is going through the ECU

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
And cant the dealer just do the stalk thingy that we do to set it up to see if our car is flashed?

If you buy security lockout and the stock program, there is no way to switch programs w/o a secret code. There are also no flashing lights until the code is entered. Essentially it looks and operates like stock.

or the tamper proof bolts that have to be removed are the dealers replacing them with new ones?

Replace them :)

Or find out what is shorted and test that connection?

The ECU is just put into read write mode. There's no way to test if this has ever been preformed.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Arin for clarifing that.
But to get to the code If i wasnt flashed would anything happen?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
I have to do things with the turn signal to get to the PW. If I wasnt flashed and I tried the same combo nothing would happen correct? So Dealer A can do the combo and if it ask for a PW they know somethings up. Is this correct?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I'm totally confused but I may understand what you are talking about.

You change programs and options on the APR ECU with the cruise control stalk. If you lock out the ECU with security lockout, anyone can play with the factory cruise control stalk, attempt to enter a password, or even try to switch programs. It will do nothing. It will look 100% stock. It will not flash any lights. It will not prompt you for a password. There will be no indication anything is altered.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
I'm totally confused but I may understand what you are talking about.

You change programs and options on the APR ECU with the cruise control stalk. If you lock out the ECU with security lockout, anyone can play with the factory cruise control stalk, attempt to enter a password, or even try to switch programs. It will do nothing. It will look 100% stock. It will not flash any lights. It will not prompt you for a password. There will be no indication anything is altered.

But to disable the security lockout you turn on CC then hold speed + or - and a code appears on the MFD?
Sooo If I have an APR flash, lock it out, dealer suspects something and they turn on Cruise and then + or _ a number to enter the code would appear. VW wouldnt know the code but a code would appear proving the cars ECU has been modified.
If I didnt have a Flash nothing would appear correct?

Dont get me wrong Im just trying to make sure my warranty doesn't get rejected by VW. I had my Jeep warranty thrown out the door with 10k on it due to it being lifted 37 inch tires and it got rained on with the top off.
I fought like hell on that and lost.

Last edited:

leslie

Ready to race!
revo for me..

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
But to disable the security lockout you turn on CC then hold speed + or - and a code appears on the MFD?

No. Nothing displays on the screen. You just enter the code blindly. There's no indication you're entering anything, thus there's no way to tell it's altered.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Thanks for clearing up Arin but I have one other question...

Isn't there a way the dealer can scan the ECU and determine if and when it was reflashed, or that there is more data than should be in the ECU?

I just find it hard to believe that with the proprietary electronics VW uses, that they would have NO idea that you were reflashed when doing a scan of the ECU

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
No. Nothing displays on the screen. You just enter the code blindly. There's no indication you're entering anything, thus there's no way to tell it's altered.

Thank you for clearing that up in the video you cant see the lower part of the MFD

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Isn't there a way the dealer can scan the ECU and determine if and when it was reflashed, or that there is more data than should be in the ECU?

I just find it hard to believe that with the proprietary electronics VW uses, that they would have NO idea that you were reflashed when doing a scan of the ECU

No. The ECU is not like a normal file system. When you add or alter code it does not change the file size of the 'calibration' or 'software'. Essentially you are given something like 2 MB of memory. Imagine that 2mb is just like a sheet of paper. If you chose not to write anything on the paper, it's still the same size. If you choose to write to the paper, it's the same size.

:)

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
No. The ECU is not like a normal file system. When you add or alter code it does not change the file size of the 'calibration' or 'software'. Essentially you are given something like 2 MB of memory. Imagine that 2mb is just like a sheet of paper. If you chose not to write anything on the paper, it's still the same size. If you choose to write to the paper, it's the same size.

:)

Oh ok. So there's no way for the dealer to take a "snapshot" of the ECU data and see any modification?