GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, how do you guys sell heavily modified cars?

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
When I was getting the turbo-back exhaust installed a few days ago, I was asked what I wanted them to do with the stock exhaust. My response "How big is your garbage can?"

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
I have ALWAYS kept all my original parts, I brought my bagged GTI with 3 piece wheels, Golf R LED tails, painted lower valance, custom made golf upper and lower grills to carmax and they offered me 13k.

Brought it back to stock and they offered me 16k.

What I think is funny is when I see people trying to sell MK6 GTIs bagged and such for 35k+! Thinking that they will get every money back for all the parts and labor they spent on the car.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
When I was getting the turbo-back exhaust installed a few days ago, I was asked what I wanted them to do with the stock exhaust. My response "How big is your garbage can?"

That's a shame. Your stock parts are worth money and someone wants that stock catback. My friend let APR keep his stock turbo, exhaust, sways and intercooler [emoji24]

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I have all my factory parts minus the cat-back (doh!) and I could have it returned to factory within a weekend should I ever decide to sell.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
FYI I've been able to sell any modified parts if bought for close to 90% of what I've paid for them. However I've not gone huge with my mods. As you can see in my signature. I'd always say you'll get more for parts if you sell on an enthusiast website. In the real world, mods make the car worth less, not more, unless you're putting like $10k+ of mods.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
That's a shame. Your stock parts are worth money and someone wants that stock catback. My friend let APR keep his stock turbo, exhaust, sways and intercooler [emoji24]

The thought to take it home had crossed my mind. Then I would have to store it, which means I would shuffle it around the garage, then possibly put it into the attic, only to forget about it until two years after the car was gone. Yes, this has happened before. :laugh:

I've also tried to sell stock parts in the past only to waste time and effort to end up essentially giving the parts away after accounting for shipping, packaging, and time wasted negotiating.

If I go K04, I'll probably keep the IHI turbo. I'll also keep the stock intake when I swap intakes. I'll even keep the stock Lagunas if I go with lightweight 17" wheels. Although, I would like to have the stock Lagunas powdercoated in black chrome.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Agreed. Selling stock parts is much harder than aftermarket upgraded ones.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
I must be in the minority since I never intended to get money back from a modification to a car. I treat them like sunk costs since modding is just a hobby to me. OTOH, I've seen plenty of local idiots try to ask for every penny spent on their mods. They will do things like ask $10k for a modded Civic that only has a blue book value of $3k. Then they cry because no one wants to pay their asking price.

Agreed.

Frankly so long as folks stay away from the usually questionable visual mods (visual mods are rarely universally appealing). I have had no problem finding takers for my k04 GTI. The dealers offer my kbb trade in value for the car. Seems fine to me. Also return a car to stock while recouping some of the cost of mods is a shady practice if you don't disclose the car was modified. I'd hate to buy a used car and find out it was heavly modded and then returned to stock.