GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SouthBend Stage 3 Drop in Review

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Excuse my noob question, when you burn through your clutch or it starts slipping due to a tune, do you have to replace flywheel and clutch (usually)?

I want to get a tune, but I'm afraid of roasting through my clutch.

A_Bowers

Excuse my noob question, when you burn through your clutch or it starts slipping due to a tune, do you have to replace flywheel and clutch (usually)?

I want to get a tune, but I'm afraid of roasting through my clutch.

Depends on how soon you catch the clutch slipping. Slipping indicates a lack of friction between the disk and flywheel or pressure plate. BUT it also generates heat because of the forced rotation of the clutch against the flywheel.

In my case I knew exactly what was going on as soon as I saw the rpms rise and fall. I drove easy from then on out.

Others may havent noticed it, or are driving hard on it anyway.

One of the things that the technician at APR...(big shoutout to Adam Cobb BTW GREAT GUY AND GREAT WORK!) said to look for is the dark purple spots on the flywheel (heat affected areas) where the flywheel was scrubbing against. We took a light and went over the fly and found none. Surface was good..not grooved or discolored.

Like I said before, my situation was/is a little different...the car is so new, it doesnt have the normal wear and tear a slightly older one may have.

BUT, Keffer VW could hook you up with the needed parts more than likely if you needed to get a new flywheel.

McQueen77

Banned
its weird because on paper, stage 2 doesnt look like that much more power than stage 1. my clutch hasn't slipped once yet but ive only got 10k on stage 1 so who knows. guess octane makes a difference too. since im rolling stage 1 on 91 octane, ive probably got the weakest output of anyone.

SRT2GTI

Banned
its weird because on paper, stage 2 doesnt look like that much more power than stage 1. my clutch hasn't slipped once yet but ive only got 10k on stage 1 so who knows. guess octane makes a difference too. since im rolling stage 1 on 91 octane, ive probably got the weakest output of anyone.

A downpipe offers a considerable power & acceleration increase.

A_Bowers

It may have been just time....If I had stayed on stage one, who knows? It may have happened to it then.

It just so happened that I went stage 2+ and it got the better of things.

You may or may not have an issue. It might be isolated to a batch of bad clutches, or it may be all of them, and its just a matter of time, or the driver has to be taught.

Avant

Ready to race!
It may have been just time....If I had stayed on stage one, who knows? It may have happened to it then.

It just so happened that I went stage 2+ and it got the better of things.

You may or may not have an issue. It might be isolated to a batch of bad clutches, or it may be all of them, and its just a matter of time, or the driver has to be taught.

I thought Stage 2+ only applied to FSI motors with the HPFP?

A_Bowers

That is what I was being told it was at APR. Doug the shop manager said that i was getting 2+ flashed.....so :iono:

Either way...its the downpipe file, with intake.

SRT2GTI

Banned

In terms of the MK6 GTI, "stage 2+" refers to having the tune, downpipe and supporting mods such as; intercooler, intake, etc.

A_Bowers

In terms of the MK6 GTI, "stage 2+" refers to having the tune, downpipe and supporting mods such as; intercooler, intake, etc.

Got everythign there sans the intercooler....that is next to come.

Dont know which route im going yet....APR, S3 or the SPM unit....kinda leaning towards the SPM unit if i cant find a good deal on the APR unit.

OldDirty

Ready to race!
I think they just call it stage II + because we already have the better fueling on the mkVI stock. There isn't a separate file if you have an intake or catback etc.

A_Bowers

"What it's suppose to do." like that line. Good luck with the clutch and keep us updated with the progress.

Thanks!! Will do. Ran it hard tonight with 100 octane in thr tank and it held on like a pit bull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD