GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SouthBend Stage 3 Drop in Review

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
So today I realized that my clutch is definitely slipping on 4th and 5th gear (didn't even bother with 6th). I was on the parkway on 5th and downshifted to 4th to overtake an SUV, and I barely made it. The RPMs shoot up and the car wasn't moving as fast as it usually does, then I tried it again, and is definitely slipping , I guess is time for a drop in clutch, because I do not want to deal with chatter. I'm on APR stage 1 with no supporting mods since 5k miles, and right now I'm at 24k miles.

A_Bowers

Let me be the first to tell you, the unsprung drop in disk is not completely silent. It is quieter than most but it isn't stock level quiet.

It's a trade off since it is a performance part I'll see about putting up a video if I can later today.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Let me be the first to tell you, the unsprung drop in disk is not completely silent. It is quieter than most but it isn't stock level quiet.

It's a trade off since it is a performance part I'll see about putting up a video if I can later today.

I don't really mind a little chatter, as long as its not much louder than a diesel LOL. If its going to perform better than stock, I really don't care. How would I know if my pressure plate/flywheel its OK for a drop in clutch setup?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I don't really mind a little chatter, as long as its not much louder than a diesel LOL. If its going to perform better than stock, I really don't care. How would I know if my pressure plate/flywheel its OK for a drop in clutch setup?

The shop instaling it will know.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
The shop instaling it will know.

So there is no way to tell unless you take it out, that sucks. Can't it be refinished or something? I don't want to have to pay labor twice, and have to rush to get a new one shipped.

A_Bowers

Depends. Its a heat affected zone so there will be areas on the flywheel that might be purple or dark blue. A sign of excess heating.

Not sure how well resurfacing will help with the DMF.

Don't take this to the bank, but my assumption would be if it hasn't been slipping badly then you should be okay as long as you haven't bee driving like a crazy person with the clutch slipping.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
I don't really drive too hard, and I've noticed a slight fluctuation in RPMs a while ago, so didn't drive hard at all, specially in low RPMs, but I realize this morning that it was definitely slipping after trying to overtake a car on the parkway, and now that I'm sure its slipping I'm not going to do any dumb stuff to it.

r0nd3L

Ready to race!
This thing is pretty quiet. I actually heard it for the first time yesterday when I stepped out of the car while it was idling. Definitely nothing to worry about.

I'm finally getting into more throttle and it's solid so far, no slipping.
'

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Do you guys use new OEM pressure plates with these or reuse the old one?