GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SPM Two-Piece OEM Caliper Big Brake Kit

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
What are the advantages of this over the ECS bbk? I mean, I understand that a comparable Alcon brake setup may be more expensive... but BBK to BBK, why SPM/Alcon over ECS?

Tyler@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
What are the advantages of this over the ECS bbk? I mean, I understand that a comparable Alcon brake setup may be more expensive... but BBK to BBK, why SPM/Alcon over ECS?

Good question lilfleck

The ECS kit is very nice, and does utilize some great components from other vehicles (i.e. - the Porsche brake caliper)

Our Alcon kit is a two piece design as well, but we incorporate a real semi floating set-up as opposed to the two-piece fixed rotor assembly of the ECS kit. Two piece rotor assemblies come in three styles. 1) Fixed. 2) Semi floating 3) Full floating.

You will rarely, if ever - see a full floating set-up being used on the street. This system allows full expansion of the rotor to be independent of the hat, with no consideration for noise i.e. - rattle. If you were to see this in person you will notice you can move the hat back and forth by hand. This set-up is seen on many professional racing cars.

Our semi floating brings the same benefits of a full floating rotor assembly, however we make this more applicable to street cars while still having the very high performance threshold. We use spring washers which we spec out - to give us the preload we need on the rotor to prevent free movement, while still allowing for all the thermal expansion of the rotor.

Fixed set-up - This does not allow for relative expansion, and usually is not seen in professional racing series (depending on rules of course). This is a lighter set-up than a one piece, but has no benefits over a semi floating arrangement.

Alcon has long been at the top of the competition when it comes to friction components and engineering. With that, they usually carry a very high price tag. For just a couple hundred dollars more than the ECS kit, we are able to bring you the opportunity to own some very prestigious equipment.

I don't have a Porsche caliper, or an ECS Tuning kit at my disposal - but if there are any questions specific to our kit, please feel free to ask

Thank you,

Tyler@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
Lightning - Thanks for posting your pictures! Enjoy the brake kit, let us know if there are any questions. Follow the installation manual, and you should be just fine.

We received a lot of feedback in our early days in terms of our boxes - and took it seriously. We have invested a lot of time and money into designing new packaging - as seen here with the brakes.

Thanks again

shane_in_oz

hi Josh
just a question do you think the boxster caliper with the adapter could work with your kit
also what would postage be to Australia..

thanks Shane

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Got my SPM OEM BBK installed last weekend:

DSC_0382 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

DSC_0381 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

I have some feedback regarding the installation instructions and some of the snags we hit. I'll post them a little later tonight when I have more time.

Interested in knowing what snags there were, Im looking to install mine later this week, don't want my shop charging me extra for figuring out snags I could already be aware of :thumbup:

erikras

Ready to race!
Interested in knowing what snags there were, Im looking to install mine later this week, don't want my shop charging me extra for figuring out snags I could already be aware of :thumbup:

Me too. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a brake upgrade within the next month or so. The SPM 2 piece kit is on my list as the "budget" option if I decide to put off calipers for a summer or two.