GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SSILVER88's Build Thread

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
It's always upgrade time :)

Never ending battle for perfection

This, I keep saying I'm going to start trying to save my money, but I keep modding anyway. Oh well.

Just for a heads up on the brakes, since swapping them out killed me, I don't own a caliper too, I was taught just to use a simple C clamp to compress the caliper piston when you go to slide the calipers back over the rotors. I owned a few 3 inch C clamps that I had used successfully when changing out the front brakes, however the thickness of the rear calipers is such that a minimum of a 5 inch C clamp is needed in order to recompress the caliper piston. I'm not sure if my experience was unique or not, but even with my 6 inch C clamp, it took a tonne of force to depress the piston on the rears. The fronts I had done in 30 minutes, but first rear brake that I tried to do took me several hours given I had to go to several hardware stores in between.

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
This, I keep saying I'm going to start trying to save my money, but I keep modding anyway. Oh well.

Just for a heads up on the brakes, since swapping them out killed me, I don't own a caliper too, I was taught just to use a simple C clamp to compress the caliper piston when you go to slide the calipers back over the rotors. I owned a few 3 inch C clamps that I had used successfully when changing out the front brakes, however the thickness of the rear calipers is such that a minimum of a 5 inch C clamp is needed in order to recompress the caliper piston. I'm not sure if my experience was unique or not, but even with my 6 inch C clamp, it took a tonne of force to depress the piston on the rears. The fronts I had done in 30 minutes, but first rear brake that I tried to do took me several hours given I had to go to several hardware stores in between.

Thanks for the heads up but I'm going to have a local shop install the pads and lines because I don't have a brake bleeder at this time

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the heads up but I'm going to have a local shop install the pads and lines because I don't have a brake bleeder at this time

Oh okay, yea, I typically just have a friend pump the brakes while I wrench the bleeder valves, but for how much work it wound up being last time I did them, I don't blame you.

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires today. They will go on either tomorrow or wednesday

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
You dont stop lol. Quality mods. Did you look at other tires? I currently use bf goodrich sport comp 2. Half the price and basically the same grip.

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
You dont stop lol. Quality mods. Did you look at other tires? I currently use bf goodrich sport comp 2. Half the price and basically the same grip.

Have to prepare for Fastivus :) I'll look into those tires next time. Too late now oh well

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
Just gave Costco a call to see if I could switch. They're going to call back in a few mins. Hopefully its not to late because I would love to save the money.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Just gave Costco a call to see if I could switch. They're going to call back in a few mins. Hopefully its not to late because I would love to save the money.

They should be able to, i hope. I saw a lot of performance based mk6 at the last sunday runing bfg sport comp 2. Tirerack was running a promotion last month. It may be cheaper to buy from them and get it installed a shop. Im just sharing ideas incase you havent thought of them.

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
They should be able to, i hope. I saw a lot of performance based mk6 at the last sunday runing bfg sport comp 2. Tirerack was running a promotion last month. It may be cheaper to buy from them and get it installed a shop. Im just sharing ideas incase you havent thought of them.

Yeah thanks for that :thumbsup: He said he will if the distributor has them in stock so either way its all good

ssilver88

Go Kart Champion
Well neither the Pilot Super Sports or the Sport Comp 2's were available from the Manufacturers (quoted a few months time for either) so I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. I've heard good things about them so we'll see how they turn out

MK6moneyGANG

Go Kart Champion
Your cars looking nice too man ! Keep it up !