GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 and California Emissions

crew219

Banned
I'm CCTA and have like 20k miles on an AWE dp, k04, non-testpipe tune... no CELs, all readiness passed in VCDS. Can't speak for CBFA results.

And regarding intakes, I passed CA smog with a Carbonio. Tester guy didn't care since it is before the MAF. Not totally legal, but it doesn't matter much. This was before I had the dp on, so I don't know if that would pass, lol. Probably not, but I'm willing to try in a couple years.

You had smog already on your less than 6 year old vehicle?

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
Yes. Brought in from another state... smog required to title and register in CA.

Bender1

Banned
What?? I thought awe advertised cel free but people still get it....

Do you have a CBFA or CCTA?

It's well known that CA vehicles have the much more sensitive CBFA.

FYI, my friend just had his car reflashed to a smog-friendly APR tune. Took about 3 miles before the CEL P0420 code popped up from his AWE DP with 200 cell cat ;)

CBFA - no CEL for 15k miles with it. Those that have had one typically are install issues. I am not saying they all are, but every one I have seen has been related to install.

crew219

Banned
CBFA - no CEL for 15k miles with it. Those that have had one typically are install issues. I am not saying they all are, but every one I have seen has been related to install.

Gunkata's required the 42dd spacer to keep the CEL off.

Bender1

Banned
Yes, but that is only part of the story.

That said, it seems like I am an anomoly for this exhaust, and perhaps the shop didn't install it correctly initially - who knows, but the setup is working as it is right now, so I am very satisfied with the product from AWE and their handling on this matter. They've worked with me to address my concerns and to double check the install - definitely make sure the paste that is supplied with the exhaust is used on the slip joints. They will be using my example to broaden their R&D efforts on this product in the event anyone else has a similar issue, but again, it seems like I am one of very few who have had an issue.

I think it is irresponsible to point fingers in ANY direction in this case.