GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 and California Emissions

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Did I read somewhere AWE TBE could pass in all states? Maybe not the visual but at least the sniff test? Could maybe go that way...

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Did I read somewhere AWE TBE could pass in all states? Maybe not the visual but at least the sniff test? Could maybe go that way...

You did read that. It is a lie. Some people go pretty far, but everyone has gotten the cel so far. p0420 if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Alright, so say I have a catless downpipe :rolleyes: what are the odds I get pulled over from the fuel stench lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Not sure cops are looking for GTIs yet... especially newer ones.

The top cars on the radar in the bay are JDM shitboxes.

civic hatches/integras/accords etc. Esp ones that sit looow.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
This is totally incorrect. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What?? I thought awe advertised cel free but people still get it....

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
...so say I have a catless downpipe what are the odds I get pulled over from the fuel stench

ODDS = Zero (0).

No cop on earth will smell your exhaust unless you ask him to. And if you have half-a-brain you will always turn your engine off if you get pulled over, because cops always want it off anyway.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I haven't seen a sniffer inspection in a long time. I remember a period of time there would be the "White Van" waiting on the side of the on ramps right next to the traffic delay lights.

Those damn sniffer vans were everywhere for a bit a few years ago.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
ODDS = Zero (0).

No cop on earth will smell your exhaust unless you ask him to. And if you have half-a-brain you will always turn your engine off if you get pulled over, because cops always want it off anyway.

Alright just checking, thinking of removing the cat on my DP, I just don't have experience with being catless and how bad it can smell.

crew219

Banned
This is totally incorrect. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you have a CBFA or CCTA?

It's well known that CA vehicles have the much more sensitive CBFA.

FYI, my friend just had his car reflashed to a smog-friendly APR tune. Took about 3 miles before the CEL P0420 code popped up from his AWE DP with 200 cell cat ;)

crew219

Banned
I haven't seen a sniffer inspection in a long time. I remember a period of time there would be the "White Van" waiting on the side of the on ramps right next to the traffic delay lights.

Those damn sniffer vans were everywhere for a bit a few years ago.

What's worse are the mobile smog machines (portable smog dynos with sniffers) in the bay area. I've seen a few in the santa clara area and cops will randomly pick people to pull over and have smogged on the spot. Not surprising that most of the vehicles are obviously modified hondas and other imports.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
What?? I thought awe advertised cel free but people still get it....
I'm CCTA and have like 20k miles on an AWE dp, k04, non-testpipe tune... no CELs, all readiness passed in VCDS. Can't speak for CBFA results.

And regarding intakes, I passed CA smog with a Carbonio. Tester guy didn't care since it is before the MAF. Not totally legal, but it doesn't matter much. This was before I had the dp on, so I don't know if that would pass, lol. Probably not, but I'm willing to try in a couple years.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
What's worse are the mobile smog machines (portable smog dynos with sniffers) in the bay area. I've seen a few in the santa clara area and cops will randomly pick people to pull over and have smogged on the spot. Not surprising that most of the vehicles are obviously modified hondas and other imports.

Damn, I've never heard of such a thing, I guess LA is a bit more easy going

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion

YES! I remember those too! That was happening down here too. At least they sorta stayed in certain areas and you would just have to keep a good eye out and find your way around them.

Very happy those haven't been around for awhile. At least with the GTi even with the K04 it's just a down pipe. The FD there would have been no way I could have put it back to stock. No smog pump, 1300cc and 850cc injectors, no cat, BT.....