GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think if I wasn't moving later this month I would have ordered this already...

So with the crackles I see it happens when you rev it in neutral, and when you engine brake after a hard pull, but do you hear them between shifts? Also, would you hear them when downshifting? Like if you were driving in traffic at 60 mph and downshifted into 4th and then just continued to engine brake. Is just every time you're above 3k rpms you'll hear it?

Then to make sure I have this right, Alex...I saw a post of yours on a focus forum saying most people assume the crackles are from fuel being dumped into the exhaust, but that's not actually the case. Is that the same case here?

Not only have I felt like my tune is giving me surging issues and other little quirks, but I've wanted more pops and crackles from my exhaust...This might just be perfect for me but I'm not quite ready yet.

Last edited:

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
I think if I wasn't moving later this month I would have ordered this already...

So with the crackles I see it happens when you rev it in neutral, and when you engine brake after a hard pull, but do you hear them between shifts? Also, would you hear them when downshifting? Like if you were driving in traffic at 60 mph and downshifted into 4th and then just continued to engine brake. Is just every time you're above 3k rpms you'll hear it?

Then to make sure I have this right, Alex...I saw a post of yours on a focus forum saying most people assume the crackles are from fuel being dumped into the exhaust, but that's not actually the case. Is that the same case here?

Not only have I felt like my tune is giving me surging issues and other little quirks, but I've wanted more pops and crackles from my exhaust...This might just be perfect for me but I'm not quite ready yet.

With a manual car if you lift off the throttle to shift you will get some crackling above 3000 RPM.

Yes we are not dumping extra fuel to create these crackles so the catalytic converter if you have one still stays nice and cool.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
With a manual car if you lift off the throttle to shift you will get some crackling above 3000 RPM.

Yes we are not dumping extra fuel to create these crackles so the catalytic converter if you have one still stays nice and cool.

Cool. That answers it for me as well. Was wondering since I have no desire to go catless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion

Is there anything that needs to be modified in order to run E30 on a Mk6 gti? I know E85 requires more volume so was curious.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Their online blog mentions that they need 10% more fuel volume delivered with E30 than they do with pump gas, something the hardware (injectors & pumps) can deliver without issues.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/tuning-the-mk6-gti-stg-1-e85-limits-and-findings/

On most direct injection cars, blending some E85 with premium pump gas fuel allows you to tune very close to MBT (mean best torque) and maximize both boost and timing (especially on a stock turbo). For this, we strapped the GTI down on the dyno and mixed 4 gallons of E85 with E10 91 pump gas fuel.Stratified Mk6 GTI Tune

This achieved an E30 fuel blend. On this blend approximately 10% extra fuel volume must be delivered and both the high pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel pump, and injectors are up to the task of delivering the needed fuel on the OEM turbo.

With the E30 blend we were able to achieve an additional 15whp and 26wtq * on the bone stock car.

* over their straight 91 pump S-Tune.

So they can do 241HP/294 lbft with E30 @ no bolt-ons. That is ~+23% HP / +47% TQ over the 194HP/199lbft stock reference.

Compare it to a COBB Stage2 93 tune with CAI + full TBE that claims:

Peak Gains* +27.1% HP / +29.2% TQ
Largest Gains* +34% HP at 4600 RPM / +35% TQ at 4000 RPM

For the same Reference car a ~$2,200 COBB package would do 246HP / 268lbft, using the gains claimed above.

They pretty much claim Stage 2 performance (some better mid range torque, some worse top-end HP) with no bolt-ons. :w00t:

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the link and info! Very interesting! With a TBE, intake, intercooler, and other supporting mods I'd have no doubt the E30 could make some great power on the stock turbo. Up with APR and GIAC power claims, plus you get a customized tune to your car. So hopefully, smoother and more linear like OEM.

Roctre

Ready to race!
Thanks for the link and info! Very interesting! With a TBE, intake, intercooler, and other supporting mods I'd have no doubt the E30 could make some great power on the stock turbo. Up with APR and GIAC power claims, plus you get a customized tune to your car. So hopefully, smoother and more linear like OEM.

I didn't know APR was making so much power but due to the feedback from the tunes lately I don't trust them.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I didn't know APR was making so much power but due to the feedback from the tunes lately I don't trust them.

Yeah they claim to make quite a bit more, but I think that's where some of the issues are coming from, they don't know how to harness it all with the turbo being so maxed out. It's a lot more than that but I don't trust them either.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah they claim to make quite a bit more, but I think that's where some of the issues are coming from, they don't know how to harness it all with the turbo being so maxed out. It's a lot more than that but I don't trust them either.

The turbo up top is absolutely maxed out in stock form. At that point you pretty much have timing to play with past 5k RPM to make any additional power.

DarthGTi

Soooo excited for this.. its what ive been holding out for!!! Another few weeks ill stack some cash and its on!

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed

Is APR reporting wheel or crankshaft HP/TQ tho?
Because APR's baseline/stock is 221 HP vs 194 HP that Stratified report.

So with 91 pump gas, APR's baseline @ Stage 1 gained 32 HP, Stratified's gained 31 HP. Potatoes potatos...You add the Carbonio and the APR reports 3HP more.
It is mostly midrange torque and the K03 hits ceiling higher up.

Last edited:

Plasmamuffins

Passed Driver's Ed
Is APR reporting wheel or crankshaft HP/TQ tho?

Because APR's baseline/stock is 221 HP vs 194 HP that Stratified report.

So with 91 pump gas, APR's baseline @ Stage 1 gained 36 HP, Stratified's gained 31 HP. Potatoes potatos...

It is mostly midrange torque and the K03 hits ceiling higher up.

It defaults to crank, but there's a little drop down arrow that'll let you see whp